DJ SNEAK CHICAGO HOUSE

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TranNgoc2010

DJ SNEAK CHICAGO HOUSE

Post by TranNgoc2010 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:48 pm

I am trying to make DJ SNEAK CHICAGO HOUSE grooves for my music. I think the basic elements are ok. A bassline and some drums. But I need the vocal singer or a man rapper. Chicago House is good. The music is cool but I only know Vietnamese people and most do not sing very well. Tien Va is good and did an album with a european producer from Englend but I cannot get him to sing for me. Does house have to have vocal music in it? My Ableton music setup is not the best for a vocal. Can i do CHICAGO HOUSE GROOVE vocals in ABLETON and how do I go about getting a good CHIACGO HOUSE SINGER?

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:58 pm

Do it like the originators of House did it, they took a Disco record and put a heavy 4/4 TR808 beat behind it, later they added a TB303, drowning out everything but the vocals.

Take a Disco track, warp it.
Take a straight ahead regular 4/4 beat with a kick drum.
Mix them together.
Put an EQ3 on both of them to EQ out parts you don't want to hear.

Then keep pushing yourself to try new things, you might be the next innovator in creating Viet-House.

Singers can be hard to find and even harder to work with. ;)

dj_statikfire

Post by dj_statikfire » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:09 pm

School yourself by listening to KMS records.
Detroit, I know, but Chicago-Detroit sounds are almost interchangeable.

THX,
Jason D
www.statikfire.com
- downloads for club dee jays and internet radio stations
- forum with articles on mixing

TranNgoc2010

Post by TranNgoc2010 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:15 pm

Are you from Japan? I was going to go for the month of May but my money is not the best at the moment. I have 909 samples, those are the best for Chicago grooves. I have a disco record by the band Slave from United States.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:20 pm

Word - I like Sneak Beats

Like DKF said get yourself a hot funk or disco record (hell get 2) and cut out a couple funky breaks

Put a funky beat over that and Viola you're on your way - sort of

As far as a "Man Rapper" is concerned I don't know - that sounds like some kind of blow up doll 8O

Not to clown but I'm jus trying to imagine a Vietnamese rapper rapping over a house track :)

Good Luck!
Ableton | Elektron

Music

chrispnyc

Post by chrispnyc » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:31 pm

coming from Chicago, I can tell you right now that if you jack some old disco track, you will gain no respect. That road was travelled down decades ago and now smacks of stale, easy-way-out mentality. I don't mean to say that as a jab at those who suggested it, but if you want to make music for the real underground scene, that's a mild version of the response you'll get.

Why do you think you need vocals? Vocals are great if you have a great vocalist, but most of the time, they are annoying. Now vocal cuts are a different story. Hunt through sample cd's, old records, etc. and cut out tiny little pieces of a vocal...pieces so small that you can't even tell what the word is. Then slice, dice, process, flip, delay, etc. until it becomes another texture.

True Chicago house music is all about the layer of textures. If you've got a bangin' vocalist that makes your ears spring to life, record hours and hours of phrases, hooks, verses, whatnot. Otherwise, dj's will drop the record...but not on a turntable.
http://www.myspace.com/chrisprang
Ableton Live 5.0.3
Digital Performer 4.6.1
G4 1.3Ghz 1.25mb ram
Soundcraft Spirit Studio LC 24
Akai S6000, Virus C
various outboard pres, comps and eqs.

TranNgoc2010

Post by TranNgoc2010 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:39 pm

OK I am getting ok feedback. When Listen to DJ SNEAK, BRYAN JONES, MARK ALMARIA, PAUL ANTHONY, TJR I hear samples from disco funk records I am confused? They do not sample, but they have OK records on JUNO RECORDS? I like K-Alexi, Steve "Silk" Hurley and Marshall Jefferson but it has been along time since they make the banging house I hear on JUNO RECORDS. I am not following you? If I just use 909 and 303 samples that will sound old I am not trying to make 1979 house. I need a singer because I hear that on STEEVE SMOOTH AND JJ FLORES albums and I saw what the singer does for the girls in a club on a video. Bad Boy bill uses singers. Am I wrong about this? I need to come to America because what we get here is not right. JUNO RECORDS is wrong, thank you.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:48 pm

The best way to learn a style is to COPY it, beat for beat. Forget the scene, just go with it.

<rant edited for content>
Last edited by DeadlyKungFu on Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:54 pm

TranNgoc2010 wrote:OK I am getting ok feedback. When Listen to DJ SNEAK, BRYAN JONES, MARK ALMARIA, PAUL ANTHONY, TJR I hear samples from disco funk records I am confused? They do not sample, but they have OK records on JUNO RECORDS? I like K-Alexi, Steve "Silk" Hurley and Marshall Jefferson but it has been along time since they make the banging house I hear on JUNO RECORDS. I am not following you? If I just use 909 and 303 samples that will sound old I am not trying to make 1979 house. I need a singer because I hear that on STEEVE SMOOTH AND JJ FLORES albums and I saw what the singer does for the girls in a club on a video. Bad Boy bill uses singers. Am I wrong about this? I need to come to America because what we get here is not right. JUNO RECORDS is wrong, thank you.
Just do your thing however you want, do it in VietNam, you'll be an originator. There are places online where you can buy acapella samples and probably acapella sample CDs.

There are lots of tricks to putting samples into songs. I've done it with Live where I'll put a few Soul/funk tunes into a set, find loops in each one then try the loops with the songs and see what works. The originators were just guys with turntables and a drum machine, they just used them very well. People have done far more with far less equipment than we have.

chrispnyc

Post by chrispnyc » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:58 pm

Its not a question of right or wrong...but the people that you mention are all over the map. Steve Hurley and Marshall Jefferson were making 1979 style house in 1979...I haven't heard much out of Jefferson that was post-1992, but Steve Hurley is doing a south-side RnB style of house. When I think Chicago house, I think Derrick Carter, Mark Farina, Miles Maeda, JT Donaldson, DJ Heather, Sneak, Brett Johnson, MFF, Kerri Chandler, etc., etc...its a 'tracky' sound. Sure, there are lots of great vocal cuts - some of my favorite records are vocal based.

However, that isn't what defines Chicago house. Its the history of the parties that used to happen here...Its a combination of acid and the blues. of smooth synths and jazzy backbeats. of twisted beats that always come together on the one. its DEEP.

And really, fuck the girls in the club. that's no reason to make music. if you want to make music that is true to the chicago sound, make music that is true to your soul. Chicago is a working class city. People go to clubs (or at least they used to) on Friday nights because they had just put in many many hours over a long week makin' other people rich. it is release. it is how you shed your ego and feel what is natural and the most basic of human expressions - dance.

i know it sounds hippie and fruity, but its the truth. I'm sure others will agree and a million more will disagree, but I've lived here a hell of a long time, so take it for what its worth.

Oh, and Marshall Jefferson, Steve Hurley, etc. have soulful vocal tracks because they have surrounded themselves with soulful people. those vocal tracks make dancefloors explode because they artistically pure and good not just because they have a vocal. Dig?
Ableton Live 5.0.3
Digital Performer 4.6.1
G4 1.3Ghz 1.25mb ram
Akai S6000, Virus C

TranNgoc2010

Post by TranNgoc2010 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:03 pm

OK, Now I see. my house is just basic house if I want CHICAGO HOUSE I should be like Mark Farina? But I do not like his music. I like HIGH CALIBER and SNEAK. I hear samples in there record. Thank you for your feedback I am creating a music page so I will have what I am working on tomorrow this time. If you listen to it and like I it I will understand.

chrispnyc

Post by chrispnyc » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:10 pm

Sneak and Farina are very similar - they came up at the same time and have shared countless stages/booths together. There are even a few tapes floating around of them double-teaming the decks. Maybe you are thinking of Farina's Mushroom Jazz stuff (which is downtempo and also from a series of parties in Chicago, but not house music). I have no idea who High Caliber is...

I think you should sound like you and no one else.

What I'm trying to get at is that it isn't the vocals or the synth you use or the sequencer or the drum sounds, whatever. its about whether or not a piece of your hear and soul is on that record. if it is, you are many steps ahead of the pack.

Do what you do because its you.

I would love to hear your music when you have it up.
peace to the east,
cp
Ableton Live 5.0.3
Digital Performer 4.6.1
G4 1.3Ghz 1.25mb ram
Akai S6000, Virus C

TranNgoc2010

Post by TranNgoc2010 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:16 pm

You are helping, I will look at Mark Farina after Mushroom Jazz. Here is a link to High Caliber Music

http://www.highcaliberchicago.com/