MIDI Beat Juggling Template

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Patch

Post by Patch » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:05 pm

:!: BUMP :!: :oops:

Sorry about that, folks - but I still cannot assign individual notes to clip slots. ARGH!!!
After I have set the clip start points and drawn the sequence in the midi clip, I cannot assign ONE midi note to each individual clip. When I click on the midi note, then click on the clip to be triggered by that midi note and press <space>, the notes from the whole sequence keep flashing up in the audio clip. That is - as the midi clip plays, the current note will overwrite the previous note assigned to the clip. This happens for as long as the midi clip is playing and midi learn mode is on.
Can anybody spot what I'm doing wrong? I'm on a PC...

adfish

MIDI infant trying to figure out this brilliance

Post by adfish » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:51 pm

Hi,

I'm using Live 5.03 on a PC. I've read all the posts under this tip and have Midi Yoke installed, but I have no idea how to get this .als thing going. Does anyone have any advice/this .als with PC routing version?

Thank you gurus!

adfish

I figured it out!

Post by adfish » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:17 pm

Initially, in Preferences I had only checked "on" for Midi Yoke. I then checked the entire row of buttons for Midi Yoke to "on" (Track, Sync, Remote). And it worked like a charm.

Yet one more reason Live 5.0 is king

I check the forum every day, because every day someone else contributes something outstanding.

Thanks!

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:14 am

Patch wrote::!: BUMP :!: :oops:

Sorry about that, folks - but I still cannot assign individual notes to clip slots. ARGH!!!
After I have set the clip start points and drawn the sequence in the midi clip, I cannot assign ONE midi note to each individual clip. When I click on the midi note, then click on the clip to be triggered by that midi note and press <space>, the notes from the whole sequence keep flashing up in the audio clip. That is - as the midi clip plays, the current note will overwrite the previous note assigned to the clip. This happens for as long as the midi clip is playing and midi learn mode is on.
Can anybody spot what I'm doing wrong? I'm on a PC...
you need to route the midi in one note at a time. make a sequence that doesn't loop and has only the note you are currently routing in it.

stop ableton, solo the midi channel going to the iac bus, and then go to midi learn mode.

click the clip slot or whatever you want the note to trigger, and then hit space.
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

Patch

Post by Patch » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:17 am

Thanks Phat Conductor.

Does this mean I have to create as many midi sequences as I have clips to be fired in the "juggle", then combine all the midi sequences into one?

OR

Create a midi sequence with all the different notes to fire all the different clips, and cut n' paste each single note sequence into another midi sequence. Assign the midi note from each individual note sequence to the corresponding clip, then delete the individual note midi clips. Yeah - that would leave one midi clip with all the notes for all the clips, and all individual notes assigned to seperate clips... By Jove - I think I've got it! :wink:

chuzzlewit

feedback loop

Post by chuzzlewit » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:07 am

T'is probably a simple answer here, but it's late and my brain has stopped for the day. Got the template working on PC using MIDI Yoke fairly painlessly. Assigned a few of the loops to the PC keyboard (midi controllers being a luxury item at the moment..) and now trying to record a new midi clip using clips fired from the keyboard. I get stuck in a midi feedback loop and the midi port gets closed by Ableton. I kind of understand why this is happening - i.e data I'm sending is being recieved and then re-output, jamming my MIDI output, but I can't see how I can avoid this if I have the MIDI ins receiving from all inputs???

Sht, does that all make sense?! Any help greatly appreciated and boss up The Phat Controller for sorting this little lot out 8)

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:04 am

It's the phat conductor... ;) but anyway:

you won't get midi feedback so long as you don't have monitoring 'in' on any of your midi tracks. it's like when the green bars light up on the audio track inputs without feedback.

if you want to control the iac track with midi, select your midi controller as the only input.

chuzzlewit

Post by chuzzlewit » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:05 am

sorry dude was having a Thomas the Tank Engine moment...

Cheers for the tip, will give it a go forthwith.

Rock on midi soldiers :lol: [/img]

Patch

Post by Patch » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:53 am

I'm gonna build The Phat Controller. It will be Mavens arch-enemy...

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:43 pm

Way to go Phats I just had a second and downloaded to see this beat juggling thing as you call it. It's pretty cool but my audio sounds all choppy and keeps moving around. kinda like stuttering.

:lol:

Anyway, It got really fun when I changed the midi clip lengths to odd numbers. Completely threw a great random factor into the groove.,
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

emptypond

Post by emptypond » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:48 am

the possibilites of this great program never cease to amaze me. thanks alot for sharing this excellent knowledge. btw glad to see your doing good, I remember you from back in the xvi days when you still had mantra in your name, seen you play at some parties , good show! :wink:

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:30 am

Great stuff, thanks Phat.

dascientist

Post by dascientist » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:55 pm

I'm going to try this later. thanks

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:47 am

ba-bump-a-dunk...

Phat - A month or two ago you found some new tricks for juggling in another thread, anything more to add? Something about triggering sections of a clip one after the other with a single control, you wanted to trigger the kick then snare then the next kick, next snare, etc, you were stoked on something new.

I'm just now trying this, going through the TnT sticky, download just finished. :D

<10 minutes later>
That's dope.

In Live 6 if you assigned those same notes to markers on a video...

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:36 am

my new juggling is all manual. i got sick of writing a million midi juggles, it was too time consuming. i still do it for remixing my own tunes so that i don't get sick of playing them all the time, but for djing i do it by hand.

ok, so how it works now is: beside each dj track there is a juggle track with 32 clip slots learned to ascending note numbers.

what i did was route the cc of the top 8 pads to mute the track that is playing when you cut in a juggle clip. this sounds like a dj cutting the fader over and avoids digital 'click'. the next four pads do not mute the channel and are all 8 note numbers apart. they are used for triggering drum breaks, vocal samples, etc. i used clipFill mode in controlAid to step the notes up on these four pads, and the bottom right pad toggles clipFill on/off. this way you can step through the clips. it's like pause/breaking a record or whatever. sounds nice. the last 3 slots on the bottom left are used to cue the track that is playing. so you can juggle juggle juggle and then cue the breakdown, or the main drop or whatever to end the routine.

there is onetrigger finger preset for the left channel, and one for the right.

then i made two more presets just like these ones, but with the notes sending on midi channel two. these go to 'hard wired' juggle slots with typical shit like scratching a kik drum, snare drum, and a few one shot beats and reversed beats. . there are a couple vocals as well, some stepped name drops and cheesy stuff like that too. they don't get replaced. its the 32 slots at the top that i load new clips into every time.

if anyone with a trigger finger wants the ableton template + trigger finger presets i sell em for $25. it took me weeks to program. it's worth it ;)