New Akai Drum Pad

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mikHATz

Post by mikHATz » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:09 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:still no note repeat.

On the mpc, one of the cool things about note repeat was that as you pressed harder on the pad, the volume of the roll swelled. good times.

.lm.
Yah,

the way i do this with Trigger finger is by assigning a pad to a clip then assign the Pads CC to the Sample Volume in the clips property pane. works really nice. keep in mind that you could assign the CC to anything though. transpose, filters beat repeat grid. its really fun.

MiK

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:00 pm

how many pad banks does the triggerfinger have?

louZ

Post by louZ » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:52 pm

DeadlyKungFu wrote: I do LOVE the MPC pads (they feel like boobies and are almost as much fun to play with) and it looks like they finally put them on a controller, why they didn't to the MPD16 like this is beyond me.
Because they didn't have to! Things have changed since TriggerFinger and PadKontrol became serious competition.

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:52 am

I'm quite happy with my MPD-16. It feels great, the trigger finger's pads suck. If you don't hit 'em dead centre, you get really wonky velocity response.

However, the lack of control on the MPD-16 was crapola. You could only do 2 banks - so 32 pads in total.

I'm looking for the ability to have at least 16 different banks of pads... I am seriously thinking about switching to the PadKontrol - does anybody know if it can switch up it's pad's banks like that?

This new MPD-24 looks sweet, but it also looks like CGI...

V A P O U R W A R E

At least until I see a photograph of one, rather than a computer generated image.

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:22 am

M. Bréqs wrote:I'm quite happy with my MPD-16. It feels great, the trigger finger's pads suck. If you don't hit 'em dead centre, you get really wonky velocity response.

However, the lack of control on the MPD-16 was crapola. You could only do 2 banks - so 32 pads in total.

I'm looking for the ability to have at least 16 different banks of pads... I am seriously thinking about switching to the PadKontrol - does anybody know if it can switch up it's pad's banks like that?

This new MPD-24 looks sweet, but it also looks like CGI...

V A P O U R W A R E

At least until I see a photograph of one, rather than a computer generated image.

No, it really exists! I touched one today (at Musikmesse) and it feels very good, the faders are rock solid and the endless rotarys feel good also.
Not sure about the banks, but the pads feel more soft and responsive as the TF´s.

Greetings
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

mouthster

Post by mouthster » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:46 am

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:53 am

Akai feels great, as expected, well built but I must say that somewhow I liked Korg even more- surprisingly , I expected cheap pads but I couldnt stop playing, jamming with it. The touch pad adds lots. Generally Korg impressed me with their new designs, except the new controllers that look good but keys are like evolution= definitely the low end at edge of useless.
thanks to TF challange, Akai had to redesign and they did good job.

Sartori

Post by Sartori » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:39 am

DeadlyKungFu wrote:Akai can kiss my ass, they sell product and are too lazy/cheap/sloppy to come out with proper software to work with their devices. I run win XP and Akai's MPD16 software will not run on it and there is no other way to tweak the settings. There's also no way to adjust it without a PC, which is the saving grace for my BCR.
For what it's worth, the MPD16 software I got with mine works fine on WinXP. But I only got mine a couple of months ago, maybe it's a newer version.

As for this, looks pretty cool. But I'm leaning more towards separate pad/knob/slider controllers just now anyway so it's not for me... :(

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:44 pm

rikhyray wrote:Akai feels great, as expected, well built but I must say that somewhow I liked Korg even more- surprisingly , I expected cheap pads but I couldnt stop playing, jamming with it. The touch pad adds lots. Generally Korg impressed me with their new designs, except the new controllers that look good but keys are like evolution= definitely the low end at edge of useless.
thanks to TF challange, Akai had to redesign and they did good job.
Yeah, the Korg was impressive, much more versatile for real drumming, the touchpad ads a lot of possibilities.
But anyway, the best pads where on the MV 8000, they are very responsive and have pan left right per pad!

Greetings
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

12micsn1

Post by 12micsn1 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:50 pm

Ok, impressed with Akai and korg but at the same time unimpressed, an wish for more. Akia strengths is the layout of rotary knobs, pads, sliders. The Kaoss Pad on the PadKontrol is brilliant but it real downfall is the lack of endless rotary knobs, sliders and record buttons that could easily make KORG a better value. Roland/Edirol could easily add the Roland D2 kaoss style pad an make something based on the MV-8000 an rule the day. ROLAND, please step it up an make this.
Vote for Pedro.