There is something seriously WRONG here...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
funkdefino

There is something seriously WRONG here...

Post by funkdefino » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:35 am

We can't get a dedicated controller for Ableton... one that makes clear sense and is laid out like the software. A simple mixer with multiple clip launch per channel.

There is a market for it... and when products like this come out...

http://www.nuvj.com/

I think to myself, "Self... what is wrong with this picture, that we can't get some hardware to go with our software, when a much smaller market gets products that make perfect sense for them"?

Don’t tell me about Fader Fox or BCD/BCF. Don’t tell me about the UC33. I want a product similar to a Maven, but built price tag conscious. WTF is wrong with that simple request? I don’t know how to build it myself and even if I did I probably wouldn’t due to the fact that if I was going to a gig and my hardware failed that day? I could at least go to guitar center and buy a new one if it was an off the shelf item.

Torches? Pitchforks? Who’s with me?
What is that? A .38?

38, 39, whatever it takes.

D DAS

Post by D DAS » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:05 am

in a capitalist society I am surprised there is not one already made. it is odd. however i think that new controller from waveidea is close

DKushner

Post by DKushner » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:17 am

Im pretty sure that nuvj thing is going to be for quite a niche market.

Isn't Kenton designing something?
I am Iron man.

njh

Post by njh » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:19 am

this is something else i now want!!!!!!
i did not know that i needed it until now... thank you person who made this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:49 am

if you test your boards & connections properly there's no reason why a home made controller should fuck up on you on stage. its very cheap to make one & the best thing is that you can design one however you like. Stop moaning & get working, sod all the crap that gets pumped out, its all over priced & probably not what you want anyway. build your own ideal solution, its really not that hard!
www.ucapps.de

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:02 am

Everyone uses Live in a different way. Live's flexibility is one of its greatest strengths. I'm not surprised there isn't a dedicated controller. IMO, it would be a foolish investment for a hardware manufacturer.

Modularity http://www.mawzer.com/ or infinite programmability http://www.jazzmutant.com/lemur_overview.php are the way to go. Or build your own.

And before someone throws a temper tantrum because their allowance isn't enough to buy one, you get what you pay for...

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:33 am

Maven... I thought that even Sasha admitted that it was a hunk of junk...

There's no golden formula for creating a controller that everybody would like.

Example, you build a controller that is based around Live 5. By the time it's ready, you can already start modding it for Live 6...

The mawzer is a sweet concept. But every picture and video i've seen up to now. Makes it look like a crappy DIY box.

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:15 am

Meef Chaloin wrote:if you test your boards & connections properly there's no reason why a home made controller should fuck up on you on stage. its very cheap to make one & the best thing is that you can design one however you like. Stop moaning & get working, sod all the crap that gets pumped out, its all over priced & probably not what you want anyway. build your own ideal solution, its really not that hard!
www.ucapps.de
Im not sure how much time you have on your hands but i personaly am trying to make music not electronics. I am getting along quite well with my bcr2000 for the moment but would very much like to see a midi controller that simply works like a 8-12 chanel mixer. Simple, is is a proven design for mixing audio why is there not a single midi controller like this?

mikHATz

Post by mikHATz » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:52 am

Honestly, i would love to see a bunch of modular Live device controllers. A Beat Repeat controller would be nice to kick it off, then an auto filter, Just pop 'em into a single box with one firewire cable sending em to your putte. That would be fun. Beat Repeat is such a fun effect for Live Gigs, only problem is remembering what knob on my kontrol49 does what. Such a shame.....

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:31 pm

mikHATz wrote:Honestly, i would love to see a bunch of modular Live device controllers. A Beat Repeat controller would be nice to kick it off, then an auto filter, Just pop 'em into a single box with one firewire cable sending em to your putte. That would be fun. Beat Repeat is such a fun effect for Live Gigs, only problem is remembering what knob on my kontrol49 does what. Such a shame.....
You're on to something there! If the Abes produced an affordable modular controller that reflected the software modules in Live it controls, they'd make a killing. It could even be Chinese plastic, as long as the modules are relatively reliable and inexpensive. As anti-Behringer as I am (bad past experiences), I'm quite impressed with my BCR2000 for what it cost.

And since the Abes are already in bed with M-Audio, the connection for such a project could easily be put in place... if it hasn't been done already... (you readin' this, Andreas?) :wink:

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:14 pm

hambone1 wrote:Everyone uses Live in a different way. Live's flexibility is one of its greatest strengths. I'm not surprised there isn't a dedicated controller. IMO, it would be a foolish investment for a hardware manufacturer.

Modularity http://www.mawzer.com/ or infinite programmability http://www.jazzmutant.com/lemur_overview.php are the way to go. Or build your own.

And before someone throws a temper tantrum because their allowance isn't enough to buy one, you get what you pay for...
This is the problem, I realised it at the Messe actually seeing others using Live in such different ways, then we had discussion about Novation SL defaults and there were so many different opinions ( record or solo, for example, I rather have solo, that I use more often but someone like Kid needs record shortcut more)
Personally I was able to reduce the controllers for Live thanks to SL ( so it is just SL and Faderfox LX, of course I use other controllers but for Liive is just the 2)

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:22 pm

my opinion is, ableton must think that if they release a controller which becomes a de-facto standard for live, it would already give users who have not previously explored the software some preconcieved notions of what Live is and how it should be used.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:24 pm

We're really gonna see a lot of solutions soon. It's only a matter of time till somebody rips the mawzer concept and starts building these type of modular controllers. All flavors for different kinds of people. Yet simple to work with.

Then there's the whole automapping thing... Only a matter of time till somebody reverse engineers that to work with any controller.
Perhaps with a novation control emulator ;)