Can Live map incoming midi notes to other notes and chs?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tim York

Post by Tim York » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:31 pm

In Logic I am able to do this with Logic's mapped instrument, which is superb for my V Drums - I can quickly set up a kit playing sounds from several different instruments in Logic.

Is there any way to do this in Live?

Also, using Logic's Touch Tracks I've been able to set up V Drum pads to trigger on/off Loops from Stylus RMX. Is there any way to do this in Live?

Tim York

Post by Tim York » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:11 pm

Anyone know?

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:29 pm

Yep... no problem.

The MIDI scale effect will map incoming MIDI notes to whatever note you want. I use it to map my Yamaha DD-55 drum controller default notes to the Impulse default notes.

Routing an incoming MIDI track on one channel into a second track can remap the MIDI channel, too.

Tim York

Post by Tim York » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:51 pm

Thanks for that, I'll look into the MIDI Scale effect.

Anyone know if I can trigger Stylus RMX loops On/Off with V Drums in Live. In Logic I do this with Touch Tracks.

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:02 am

Hi,

I don´t know this Stylus RMX thing, but you can trigger midi clips.
Back in the past I worked with touch tracks, too, since Live... :D
Maybe Logic has improved since v.7, I only had v.6.x.

Ray

mikHATz

Post by mikHATz » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:42 am

hambone1 wrote:Yep... no problem.

The MIDI scale effect will map incoming MIDI notes to whatever note you want. I use it to map my Yamaha DD-55 drum controller default notes to the Impulse default notes.

Routing an incoming MIDI track on one channel into a second track can remap the MIDI channel, too.
another way to map notes to impulse cells is to set this up in your V-Drums, set the kick pad up to send out a note value of C3, then the snare to send out D3...etc...Used to have this drummer come by with his V-Drums and this was his prefered way to do it, then whoever is drumming can change what pads trigger what from within the Vdrum brain.
as for the stylus RMX thingie, dont have RMX, another friend of mine had it and if i remember correctly it uses MIDI files with simple MIDI notes to trigger slices or Hits, in RMX - just find out what notes trigger what and then set that up in your V-Drums as well

MIK

Tim York

Post by Tim York » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:07 am

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I know I can change midi note assignments to pads on my V Drums. That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid doing though, because there are a finite number of user kits, whereas if this is set up in software the amount of user kits is infinite. The midi Scale effect is good, though it's only one octave. Haven't tried using two at once yet!

And I'm wanting to trigger loops, not notes, in Stylus RMX. (Groove Menu Mode, rather than Slice Menu Mode). I suspect this isn't possible in Live, but if anyone can think of a way... :)

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:28 am

If you triggered your Stylus RMX with touch tracks, in Live you can simply do it with a midi clip in session view.
It is far more easy to program or record a midi clip in Live than a touch track in Logic, imho.

Ray

mikHATz

Post by mikHATz » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:58 am

Tim York wrote:Thanks for the replies.

whereas if this is set up in software the amount of user kits is infinite. The midi Scale effect is good, though it's only one octave. Haven't tried using two at once yet!

:)
Dont know if we are understanding each other correct, what i mean is to set up each V-drum pad to send out a specific notewhich will correspond to available impulse cells ( c3,d3,e3,f3,g3,a3,b3,c4 ) then set up your hits in impulse cells based around that, then you could add a MIDI pitch effect in front of other impulse kits if you want more than one impulse kit.

Also you can use the scale effect with the pitch to get more octaves involved

MIK

Tim York

Post by Tim York » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:36 pm

If you triggered your Stylus RMX with touch tracks, in Live you can simply do it with a midi clip in session view.
It is far more easy to program or record a midi clip in Live than a touch track in Logic, imho.
Excellent, thanks dancing Ray. I see that'll do the trick. I'm not so familiar with using Live 'live' so the concept is still a little hazy - though it's becoming clearer.

Dont know if we are understanding each other correct, what i mean is to set up each V-drum pad to send out a specific notewhich will correspond to available impulse cells ( c3,d3,e3,f3,g3,a3,b3,c4 ) then set up your hits in impulse cells based around that, then you could add a MIDI pitch effect in front of other impulse kits if you want more than one impulse
We may be at cross-purposes. I was looking to trigger a loop, not single hits. I think dancing Ray's answer is the way to go. Thanks for your help, mikHATZ.

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:27 pm

If you want to trigger loops you should have an eye on the follow actions for variation. Those might come in handy.

By the way, what kind of music are you making if I may ask?

Tim York

Post by Tim York » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:05 pm

If you want to trigger loops you should have an eye on the follow actions for variation. Those might come in handy.
Thanks for that. I'll keep that in mind. I'm just getting back into using Live after a long absence.
By the way, what kind of music are you making if I may ask?
It's still in the melting pot, and I'm really not sure what or how many genres it fits into. Sort of electronic/dance/world/experimental I think... I've been playing drums a long time and I'm into using the V Drums to play unconventional sounds. (I'm also about to invest insome more gear - Roland Handsonic and possibly Drumkat). I like setting up tuned persussion like marimbas and african Xylophones too. I have a pretty comprehensive library of drums and percussion to choose from: Colossus, Ra, Stormdrum, Lots of Taiko drums, big African things and drums I've never even heard of. I like electronic sequences - Vanguard is one of my favourite synths. I'm not so into Hip Hop, Rap or R n B, mainly because I don't feel much of a connection to the culture, or enjoy the lyrics. I come more from the Brian Eno and Japan school, though I like creating grooves that people can dance to. (Hip Hop grooves are cool, as are dnb grooves). A recent band I'm into is Sounds From The Ground, and I really like Steve Roach's music. I've been thinking recently that it would be good to team up with a Steve Roach type synthesist for an ambient groove type thing. I'm based near Bristol, UK.

How about you?

dubbyah

Post by dubbyah » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:15 pm

Hi Tim. I believe that Stylus loops are triggered by a note on command. In that case, it would be very easy to do what you want, by using a midi scale plugin.

If they are not triggered by a note on, and by a CC or some other parameter, it is still possible to set something up, but im pretty sure they are note on.

If it can be done in logic, it can be done in live though, so there is definately a way to do what you want. Find out what stylus recieves to trigger a loop first, it should say in the manual...

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:43 pm

Tim York wrote:How about you?
I think I´m making house/techno or kind of tech house or :?
The interesting thing about it (at least I hope so)is, that I´m playing "drums" with a bassman and a keyboarder together - NO LOOPS - and it sounds like techno.
Web presence will be updated soon. I´ll send you a message if you like.

If you want to play interesting sounds with your v-drums you definetly have to try this impulse thing mikHATz spoke about! I´m experimenting for three years now and actually two weeks ago I had a breakthrough :D :D :D .
I can give at least some hints on it.

Ray

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:32 pm

Tim York wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I know I can change midi note assignments to pads on my V Drums. That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid doing though, because there are a finite number of user kits, whereas if this is set up in software the amount of user kits is infinite. The midi Scale effect is good, though it's only one octave. Haven't tried using two at once yet!

And I'm wanting to trigger loops, not notes, in Stylus RMX. (Groove Menu Mode, rather than Slice Menu Mode). I suspect this isn't possible in Live, but if anyone can think of a way... :)
That's why I leave my Yamaha drum controller on it's defaults. I know I can initialize it, and all of my Impulse patches will work without having to set up the output notes on the drum controller by using the Scale MIDI effect.