acid 6 out

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:02 pm

ILTK wrote: btw, does it still install a freakin SQL server for it's 'media manager'?

Biggest wtf ever when I installed v.5, all of a sudden I had an SQL server running, who was the braniac that came up with that bright idea?
Yeah, sadly, Sony still touts this as a cool "feature". Not only will it install Media Manager with SQL Server, but if you use it, it takes Acid a good 1-2 minutes to load.

I wish they'd give you the option to not install it. You can easily cancel the install of the Media Manager during the install process without hurting the Acid install, but people are likely afraid to do that. It's pretty silly.

Overall, I do like how Acid is coming along, but really some of the features I mentioned are must-have for me. Also, the handling of vstis is just a bit clunky as far as I'm concerned.

metaforensics

Post by metaforensics » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:11 pm

Or you can install it, and then just go into the the general preferences, and uncheck it..Then Acid onlt takes a few seconds to load up depending on how many pluins you have....I guess I like Acid probaly due to the fact i don't use that much midi..So midi really isn't that much of an issue...So i can see if midi is an issue then Acid wouldn't beyour first choice..i love using both apps..But I really don't use either for making the hearts of my beats...Ableton=performing live , Acid= Tracking out, mixing, pre-mastering , MPC1k & ASR 10 & Vinyl = beats combine all of these tools, and it works for me..

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:23 pm

And I respect your opinion and your reasons for using Acid.

metaforensics

Post by metaforensics » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:43 pm

And I respect your opinion
Same here... :lol:

ilia

Post by ilia » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:49 pm

nebulae wrote:After playing with the demo for a day, I have to say that I can't live without Live. I love how you can take Acid's load up to 80-90% CPU and the graphics don't get hung up. However, it just doesn't have some of the VST features that I need to have.
Yeah, I can't live without Live either, plugin handling is much better (except for chaining), clip envelopes are great, and of course the session paradigm is still pretty much unique in the software world...

BUT BOY, IS THAT ACID ARRANGEMENT FAST OR WHAT? I mean, cut, move, crossfade, resize, reverse -- all that basic stuff in Acid (and Vegas for that matter) is practically instantenous, makes you feel as if you were actually working with physical objects... I guess you can't have it all. Or can you?

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:56 pm

I think the graphical issues in Live have a lot to do with the TIFFs they are using. For the most part, the opinion has been that Acid ain't too pretty...right now, I'd take ugly and fast over "cool and klunky". I hope that with Live 6. they will give some serious thought to speeding up the interface.

Voodu

Post by Voodu » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:23 pm

The only thing I'm really interested in with ap6 is the groove quantizing. I know it supports rewire, can it run as a rewire master and run Live 5 as a slave? If so can you route all your Live inputs through it to make use of the groove quantizing features?

metaforensics

Post by metaforensics » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:22 am

You can rewire Live into Acid..But I believe in order to use the groove quantization it has to rendered as a loop..I haven't mesed around it that much, due to the fact I own a mpc, and can change the swing, and quantize..

ilia

Post by ilia » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:50 am

Damn! I love that new "section" feature -- so logical and fast. I hope Abes are paying attention.

richardl

I now use ACID as a loop library manager for LIVE

Post by richardl » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:46 pm

I've not tried ACID 6 yet. But I find ACID 5 to be really useful in conjunction with Live 5 as follows.

Run Live on my main monitor. Then I start ACID in ReWire mode on the second monitor. Then I can use ACID's media manager to manage my overwhelming library of loops. I can then easily seach and find the loops that I want and then I just drag the loop from ACID's media manager into a Live Session View slot. It's quite a handy setup. I wouldn't recommend it on a lightweight computer though.

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:00 am

I've never found any use for that realy, all my sample stuff is categorised into folders and subfolders, there's nothing that this media manager can do that can't be done just as easily with good folder organization.

And with Lives brilliant system of parsing shortcuts into the folder they point to, you can have your sample library anywhere, lots of people don't know this feature.

Make a folder anywhere, this will be your 'virtual' folder into your library of samples, now make a bunch of category subfolders in this folder, now open another instance of explorer (on windows) and drag shortcuts to the folders where you'r samples are located, after you are done, drag a shortcut to the main folder into Lives 'Library' folder.

Now you can open this 'virtual' folder in Lives browser and it will figure out the real locations of where the shortcuts you used to organize are pointing to, it will look just like normal folders even though they are actuall just shortcuts pointing to the real locations.

This also allows you to later reorganize your virtual library, for example say you'r running out of space and need to move something to a new drive, then all you need to do is update the shortcut to the folder you just moved and you can go on using the same folder structure that you know by heart.

Or say you get a new drive becasue you are running out of space, but it's annoying to have to change over to the new drive to locate some samples, to get around this just drag some shortcuts to your virtual folder and you can just keep browsing the same folder structure without worrying that some of it are on another drive.

It's an awesome feature, it's actually how shortcuts were supposed to work, but 90% of all programs are retarded and aren't coded to treat shortcuts like this.

DKushner

Post by DKushner » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:16 am

I too will always have a place in my heart for acid. But I wont go beyond Acid 2. To me, that will always be the best. I've installed it on everyone of my computers and I will continue to do so as long as the OS lets me.

Acid 2 had no breakpoint envelopes, and you could do +- 100 pitch steps. The way it handled panning was just so unique. And you can move blisteringly fast in it. When I need to get quick work done, I open up acid. When I'm stumped, Acid is the best tool for rousing me. I barely use it anymore, but it will always be to me, like a fire extinguisher behind glass that reads "in the case of an emergency, break glass."
I am Iron man.

gomi

Post by gomi » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:44 am

ILTK wrote:
TOILETFLUSH.WAV

btw, does it still install a freakin SQL server for it's 'media manager'?

Biggest wtf ever when I installed v.5, all of a sudden I had an SQL server running, who was the braniac that came up with that bright idea?
i was a beta tester for acid 4.

i stopped using it after that, as soon as version 5 required you to install
microcrap .Net junk and the whole sql server is a total cop out..
lazy ass programmers who can't write their own crap.

delag

acid

Post by delag » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:11 pm

is it me or warping tracks that are not so constant are almost impossible to do, or maybe i didn't try enough.

you guys think acid 5 or 6 can warp as good as live?

and the sound quality of the warped track, as good as live?

that's what i wonder

richardl

Post by richardl » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:52 pm

ILTK wrote:I've never found any use for that realy, all my sample stuff is categorised into folders and subfolders, there's nothing that this media manager can do that can't be done just as easily with good folder organization.
I like your suggestion, but I haven't been able to reproduce anything like the level of organization or response from LIVE's browser.

One factor may be that my loops are all on a server and LIVE seems to become very unresponsive when accessing loops off the server whereas ACID doesn't seem to mind at all and remains well... live.