Echo Indigo I/o questions, If you have them ask them

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mic-minimal

Echo Indigo I/o questions, If you have them ask them

Post by Mic-minimal » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:27 am

I've been away for a minute, had some problems I had to attend to and didn't get to muss with the computer much, I know some of you had questions about the new indigo card I got, if you stil have them just post them and I'll try to answer right away.

I think it was scotty asking about the card summing it's busses and the answer is yes it does that well enough for me, instead of using rewire right now I'm running wavlab, beatcreator, Live, and Reason all at the same time through the indigos mix console, assingning stereo outs to each
and it all comes out of the physical stereo out like it's from one program.

peace and sorry for the delay

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:24 pm

what's the absolute lowest latency you've gotten on the card? in and out summed into one. 2ms? I'm pretty sure 128 buffer, 96k sampling should be 1ms on each end. Let me know, I would appreciate it

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:10 pm

the lowest I got was 3ms, at 128 samples, but the 96rate was greyed out in the echo console, so I'm not sure, and this was with the asio2 setting.

scotty

Re: Echo Indigo I/o questions, If you have them ask them

Post by scotty » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:58 pm

Mic-minimal wrote: I think it was scotty asking about the card summing it's busses and the answer is yes it does that well enough for me, instead of using rewire right now I'm running wavlab, beatcreator, Live, and Reason all at the same time through the indigos mix console, assingning stereo outs to each
peace and sorry for the delay
Hi mic-minimal... thanks for getting back. A couple things I wondered...
1) how are the inputs?
2) have you tried using the virtual mixing to mix multiple live outputs? Like assigning different Live tracks to different virtual outs and then using the indigo's mixing? I doubt it would have much advantage over just having Live handle all the mixing/summing. I only asked because on several occassions I have read here that people have rendered individual tracks
and then used their favorite sequencers to mix them all together (claiming that they thought Live's summing/mixing could be improved upon). Personally I think Live's mixing would be fine, but I was curious regardless.

I just bought a right angle adaptor for stereo plugs so I no longer worry that something plugged into the indigo's input would block my powerbook's USB 2 port.

...3) and not that you know the answer but do you think an Indigo would add much to my sound quality in a performance situation? I feel like the house PA might blow away any clarity and crispness that the indigo might add to my powerbooks setup. Still, there might be some other issues/concerns that I am unaware of where the card might help me....
Any ideas?

Thanks!
scotty

Rx

Re: Echo Indigo I/o questions, If you have them ask them

Post by Rx » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:28 pm

Mic-minimal wrote:instead of using rewire right now I'm running wavlab, beatcreator, Live, and Reason all at the same time through the indigos mix console, assingning stereo outs to each
are you just manually matching tempos (if needed)?
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

Valery

Post by Valery » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:34 pm

I went to a shop to buy the Indigo I/O...
but when I tried to get it working with my IBM R40, it freezed the machine when I plug the card each time (even after rebooting...)

dominique

Post by dominique » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:29 pm

Valery,

I got me an Indigo I/O just last week. The guy at the store was kind enough to let me bring in my notebook (Sony Vaio) to try it first.

What happened with the first card was exactly what you are describing. The computer didn't even boot or froze the very moment I plugged it into XP. Then he gave me another card and it worked as expected.

Maybe you should try to replace your card?
Sorry if it's bad news for you,

D.
Toshiba Satellite Notebook, P M 1.6GHz , 1GB, WindowsXP SP2, Echo Indigo I/O, RME Multiface, RME RPM, Midisport 2x2, Faderfox LV1
---

mic-minimal

Post by mic-minimal » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:14 am

RX yes that is what I'm doing, manually matching tempos, I hate the fact
that rewire doesn't allow you to export your audio as loops and I'm constantly making samples.

scotty I'm gonna try the summing right now, the inputs sound very good to my ears, as good as the audiophile 2496 in my desktop, as far as gigs go I think it depends on what type of music you are doing, anything industrial probably won't need polishing before going in and out of the house pa, but more organic stuff might just benefit, you can't really go wrong with this card.

valery I didn't have any problem what so ever with the indigo I got, drivers work fine as well as the echo console software.

Release

Question for mic-minimal

Post by Release » Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:20 pm

Hi there, I'm new to this board but have a Q about the IO!

I've just ordered mine and then read the article about DJing with Live (which is something I want to do) and suddenly thought 'shit' I'm gonna need 2 outs if I want to cue up samples in my headphones B4 triggering!

Is this the case or am I missing something!

Thanks in advance

Release

scotty

Post by scotty » Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:59 pm

mic-minimal wrote: scotty I'm gonna try the summing right now, the inputs sound very good to my ears, as good as the audiophile 2496 in my desktop, as far as gigs go I think it depends on what type of music you are doing, anything industrial probably won't need polishing before going in and out of the house pa, but more organic stuff might just benefit, you can't really go wrong with this card.
thanks mic-minimal! My stuff does get pretty ugly and noisy so maybe the echo wouldn't be so noticeable. :D Still, I do have a lot of field recordings and what not in the mix, and future endeavors from me may be more "pristine"... Like you said I can't go wrong with the card, so yesterday afternoon I took the leap and orderd one from audiomidi.com! It arrived at my work this morning!! 8O I love it... audiomidi must be very near by since paying for ground shipping is like overnighting the product to me... impulse buying doesn't get much better than this.... *sigh*.

scotty

Post by scotty » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:55 pm

cool... I just installed the indigo io on my lunch break and I'm pretty pleased. I popped in an audio cd but had a difficult time setting up an A-B type comparison scenario... there was no quick way to flip back and forth between built-in audio outs and the indigo's audio outs... at least not quick enough for my poor audio memory retention! I do think I heard a decent improvement but I'm not sure it would be so noticeable in my live performance situation (given the thrumbling ruckus I make!). One thing that was clearly better was that the inputs are a lot more quiet. In addition to Live running the bulk of my set, it is also serving as an fx send processor from my mixer. The ambient noise levels being monitored on that Live input channel are much lower than using the built-in input. Nice. very pleased....

hey Release, I think you may need the Indigo DJ instead of the Indigo IO. I don't think pre-listening is possible on the io (there's only one output).

-scotty

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:59 pm

shit I was just about to post and you got one, cool, what did you pay for yours?

mic-min

scotty

Post by scotty » Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:17 am

I paid $179.99
Seems to be the going rate...

thanks again,
scotty

Release

Reply to scotty

Post by Release » Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:46 am

hey Release, I think you may need the Indigo DJ instead of the Indigo IO. I don't think pre-listening is possible on the io (there's only one output).

-scotty[/quote]

Yeh I thought so! bummer - I'm gonna have to have both then as I need to record audio in also!

How does anyone else audition sounds then on a laptop with the IO. Will the standard headphone out give me a work-around.

Release

secretagentgel

crashing AND latency

Post by secretagentgel » Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:32 pm

mine crashes a fair amount, and then i started popping in the card i booted up. seems to work better. p4 dell laptop with xp home.

latency im getting nice and low running the asio drivers, but then i cant use more than one app. are you on a pc? are what drivers are you using to get such low latency and use more than one app?

thanks,

corey