Where is the Pause button for Recording?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JeffWho

Post by JeffWho » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:34 am

Hello,

I am writing about Live 4.1 Lite with the same observation with 5.2 Lite. I notice the control panel doesn’t have a Pause button for recording. When I record, I want to pause my recording and have it resume from the place I paused it from. But since it’s not there, I have to click both the Play and Record buttons again, and the arrangement cursor jumps back to the beginning of the time line window. It looks like it’s recording over the previously recorded clips! This is confusing to me because I’m expecting to have my clips lined up in order on the time line. I’ve never seen anything like this in other audio programs. My recording need is straightforward, acoustic guitar and vocals, no MIDI, overdubbing, anything fancy. Just recording

Thanks,

Jeff

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:49 am

Do your recordings in the session view, and record your takes into the individual slots - makes the pause key redundant.

JeffWho

Post by JeffWho » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:32 pm

Hello,

I also sent my question to Ableton support and received the following response. As a new Ableton user, I assume the rest of you know more then I do, and appreciate your time:

Jeff

From support:

There is no "pause" button in Live transport, but a hidden pause feature !
Just hit the record button again, and then hold the shift key while pressing the space bar. That will start the recording where you left it.

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:43 pm

nice one, anybody got any more of these hidden features?

huffcw

Post by huffcw » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:44 pm

You can also hit F9 to enable the record button -it's quicker because you don't have to use your mouse.

So, to pause/stop, hit your space bar. Then to resume recording from where you left off, hit F9 + Shift + Space.

I am not sure why they don't just add a standard pause feature so you can stop and resume with one key click???

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:55 pm

huffcw wrote:So, to pause/stop, hit your space bar. Then to resume recording from where you left off, hit F9 + Shift + Space.
to make it a bit clearer, it's
F9 (that arms recording, same as clicking on the main record button)
THEN Shift + Space to resume recording where you left it.
you don't need to press 3 keys at the same time.

but really, try to get a feel of how the session view works for recording, once you get it, you realise that it's really powerful.

huffcw

Post by huffcw » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:13 pm

I really wish you didn't have to re-arm the record button each time (it's annoying when you are doing a lot of recording - I want it to work as quickly as possible to continue recording or to record another take). It would be nicer if it stayed armed until you click it or hit F9 to disarm it.

Also, most of the time I wish it worked opposite for the start/stop - i.e., press space to resume from where you left off and press shift + space to return to the beginning.

Of course, if a standard pause funtionality was included, then this wouldn't be an issue because it would be one button push to pause and one button push to resume recording (assuming that record stays armed as it should with pause). Although, I would prefer that recording stays armed even if you select stop and start from beginning (it really should stay armed until you manually disarm it). To me, this would be better/quicker workflow.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:20 pm

3 words: session view recording

as soon as you launch the recording of a clip in session biew (you can even assign a key/button to this), it starts recording and plays your arrangement in the background.
then you just need to copy/drag your new clips into the arrangement.

DWDWDW

Re: Where is the Pause button for Recording?

Post by DWDWDW » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:27 pm

From support:

There is no "pause" button in Live transport, but a hidden pause feature !
Just hit the record button again, and then hold the shift key while pressing the space bar. That will start the recording where you left it."

Can you set this up so this will work with a press of a sustain pedal? Press and hold for pause, try different notes, let up and the recording resumes.

Thanks

AJ Dare

Re: Where is the Pause button for Recording?

Post by AJ Dare » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:19 pm

https://imgur.com/a/tFe3aB0
for who it may help, i setup a little macro with jitbit macro recorder and bound the macro to a hotkey (f5) for example
the macro looks like this (image)
and it's basically a 1 key pause/resume
so you can hit f5 once and it'l pause, and hit f5 again and it'l resume recording from the last spot.