Is this a good laptop to run Live5.2 on?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JochenB

Is this a good laptop to run Live5.2 on?

Post by JochenB » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:13 pm

Is this laptop good enough for running live 5.2 with plugins on it?

Latitude D820 Core Duo T2500 (2.0Ghz 2MB L2 cache 667Mhz FSB)
memory: 1024mb
40GB serial ATA HDD 5400RPM
Echo indigo I/O

What do you think?

sp0bjogu

Post by sp0bjogu » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:44 pm

Looks nice.

Since it's a Dell and you've got the option to configure it just as you want it, I'd recommend spending some extra money and getting a 7200 rpm hard drive (60 GB or more). It makes a lot of difference when working with big sample patches and audio recording.

(Make sure you choose good processor, display and video options since you'll be stuck with those. Memory and storage can always be upgraded later.)

/sp0

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:09 pm

The CPU is top notch, although Live won't be able to benefit from dual cores until v 6 is out later this year.

Make sure your video card has it's own dedicated memory and doesn't share with the main ram. Cheaper models do and people here have reported problems.

shaneblyth

Re: Is this a good laptop to run Live5.2 on?

Post by shaneblyth » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:30 pm

JochenB wrote:Is this laptop good enough for running live 5.2 with plugins on it?

Echo indigo I/O

What do you think?
the processor is a definite go but what else is in there the 40gig drive is rediculasly small. whats the video card in there ?
If you spec this system up it would be ok but when u do that you might as well buy the mac book pro from apple then you can run OSX which has a lot of advantage from a music standpoint and a ton of really cool apps then you also have the option to dual boot to windows OR linux alot more options then or run parrallels software which allos windows apps to run inside of OSX.. also a comment about not taking advantage of the dual cores yet.. well thats true in Windows but OSX does take SOME advantage with the dual cores even on 5.2 Not nearly what it will with 6 when it comes out but it is an advantage even if it is only a small but noticable one..
MacbookPro Core2Duo 17" 160 gb SATA 2gb ram.
Korg M3
1 Terabyte External Drive
Presonus Firebox
Live 6,

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:38 pm

Laptop looks great, 7200rpm drives are prefered but not necessary.

If the dude wants a PC let him get a PC, I swear MacHeads are hypnotised by that glowing Apple into trying to sell everyone an iLifestyle.

Is Apple owned by Aliens? It's almost like a religion, hmmm...

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:52 am

[zombie]

hail Steve Jobs

hail Steve Jobs

hail Steve Jobs

*drool*

[/zombie]

Upgrade to 7200 and you're ready to go

or just get a Mac ;)

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:51 am

DeadlyKungFu wrote:Laptop looks great, 7200rpm drives are prefered but not necessary.

If the dude wants a PC let him get a PC, I swear MacHeads are hypnotised by that glowing Apple into trying to sell everyone an iLifestyle.

I couldn't agree more...if someone ask for Mac advice, I won't have much to say, since the last Mac I owned was about 10 years ago. But if a brutha asks for PC advice, no sense in trying to confuse him with Jobs-propaganda. All due respect to our Mac-user-brethren on this forum...but as DKF says, if the dude wants a PC, let him get a PC already.

shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:59 am

DeadlyKungFu wrote:Laptop looks great, 7200rpm drives are prefered but not necessary.

calm down a mac is a pc and you can install windows on it and wipe OSX if you want unless u have been living in a cave u should know this Dont pre judge people I use Pacs and PC's and have done for 25 years I was giving the guy another option.. Lets face it becasue of the way things are heading the mac hardware is better in a laptop for a couple of reasons in this case

1 he was using the basic same chipset so should check the other options out that are very similar
2. it is the only hardware he gets to have a choice on of running any os he wants XP Vista OSX Linux

Now isnt that worth giving the guy that sort of info ?

And sure if he wants to buy the DEll thats his choice

Oh by the way I am typing this on my Dell Optiplex GX260 which I sometime record Live stuff on and sitting next to it is my powerbook that sometimes I record Live on

Choice.. I keep an open mind and use whatever hardware software or OS I want this is not about PC Mac crap.. but about information.

and the 7200rpm drive is not nessessary ... unless you need it as u run high track counts. Faster is always better but not necessary the originator of this post may require it but he hasn't given us any detail as what he is using his system for or expercting to do in the future so maybe he could give us a little more info so some of us can help give him an honest accurate answer
Korg M3
Presonus Firebox
Live 6,

eyeknow

Re: Is this a good laptop to run Live5.2 on?

Post by eyeknow » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:13 am

JochenB wrote:Is this laptop good enough for running live 5.2 with plugins on it?

Echo indigo I/O

What do you think?
eh..........

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:47 pm

shaneblyth wrote:and the 7200rpm drive is not nessessary ... unless you need it as u run high track counts. Faster is always better but not necessary the originator of this post may require it but he hasn't given us any detail as what he is using his system for or expercting to do in the future so maybe he could give us a little more info so some of us can help give him an honest accurate answer
This is just plain bad advice. If anyone is about to drop thousands of dollars on a new computer system, for anyone to advise him that getting a fast drive isn't necessary sends up a big read flag. It is universally known that the hard drive is the slowest component of a computer. Unless you're looking to conserve battery power (which most people who are looking for an audio PC don't care about) then you always want the fastest drive you can get.

Also, DKF's issue has nothing to do with staying calm or about giving other points of view...it was simply about one person asking for advice on a PC configuration and other people suggesting a Mac...so you go to the store looking for oranges, and someone tells you to get apples (pun intended).

I have no objections to Macs (other than the ridiculous cost - and if you want to justify the cost of Macs, I won't even bother responding). But why in the world would you get a Macintel just to run Windows on it? And if you're buying a laptop for making audio on it, why in the world would you not get 7200 rpm drives? I usually don't attack people's posts so directly, and forgive me if I sound rude, but I find no logic in your recommendations.
Last edited by nebulae on Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:27 pm

nebulae wrote:
shaneblyth wrote:
DeadlyKungFu wrote:and the 7200rpm drive is not nessessary ... unless you need it as u run high track counts. Faster is always better but not necessary the originator of this post may require it but he hasn't given us any detail as what he is using his system for or expercting to do in the future so maybe he could give us a little more info so some of us can help give him an honest accurate answer
This is just plain bad advice. If anyone is about to drop thousands of dollars on a new computer system, for anyone to advise him that getting a fast drive isn't necessary sends up a big read flag. It is universally known that the hard drive is the slowest component of a computer. Unless you're looking to conserve battery power (which most people who are looking for an audio PC don't care about) then you always want the fastest drive you can get.

Also, DKF's issue has nothing to do with staying calm or about giving other points of view...it was simply about one person asking for advice on a PC configuration and other people suggesting a Mac...so you go to the store looking for oranges, and someone tells you to get apples (pun intended).

I have no objections to Macs (other than the ridiculous cost - and if you want to justify the cost of Macs, I won't even bother responding). But why in the world would you get a Macintel just to run Windows on it? And if you're buying a laptop for making audio on it, why in the world would you not get 7200 rpm drives? I usually don't attack people's posts so directly, and forgive me if I sound rude, but I find no logic in your recommendations.
I was quoting the other guys advice if u read that carefullu again you will see i was NOT saying it was a bad idea to get a 7200rpm drive at all quite the opposite..

the cost of the mac is not rediculas IF you spec it to the same system the acer for instance is with in a few dollars
Actually the IBM notebooks cost way more than a mac one on the top end
Korg M3
Presonus Firebox
Live 6,

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:47 pm

shaneblyth wrote:I was quoting the other guys advice if u read that carefullu again you will see i was NOT saying it was a bad idea to get a 7200rpm drive at all quite the opposite..

the cost of the mac is not rediculas IF you spec it to the same system the acer for instance is with in a few dollars
Actually the IBM notebooks cost way more than a mac one on the top end
Good - I'm glad we all agree...don't get drives that are slower than 7200 RPM. End of story.

Regarding cost of PC vs. Mac, as I mentioned before, I'm not even going there, since Apple pricing has been an industry joke for over a decade. As for high-end IBMs and what not, again, why would you buy those if you can get a Sager, Mtech, or Alienware for a lot cheaper. Again, you're comparing apples to oranges, and it doesn't make sense.

gomi

Post by gomi » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:34 am

DeadlyKungFu wrote: Is Apple owned by Aliens? It's almost like a religion, hmmm...
apple owns alien technology, and they are releasing it slowly to the world.

this is why they are always ahead of everyone, and while people have
irrational fears about them..

ALIENS OMG!!

don't worry, they are here to save you.

no... seriously..

really.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:22 am

gomi wrote:
DeadlyKungFu wrote: Is Apple owned by Aliens? It's almost like a religion, hmmm...
apple owns alien technology, and they are releasing it slowly to the world.

this is why they are always ahead of everyone, and while people have
irrational fears about them..

ALIENS OMG!!

don't worry, they are here to save you.

no... seriously..

really.
Freakin' Scientologists... *sigh*

Then again, I'm still gonna go see MI:3.

shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:50 am

alien !
I thought Alien ware was owned by Dell now soon to release the ET package.. the words most expensive PC
Priceing here is way different to give you an idea a Macbook pro is $3900 NZD an IBM top end notebook is $6000 NZD and you can spec an alienware "Dell" that comes in at $9000NZD now THAT is a crazy price!
Korg M3
Presonus Firebox
Live 6,