a dsp question !?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yogz

a dsp question !?

Post by yogz » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:33 am

does the soundcards w/dsp help with all vst plugins/application ?!
I understood that for the e-mu cards with onboard dsp, the dsp only help the e-mu effects

cheers

:!: :!: :arrow: :idea: :?:
Live 7.0.14
Mac osX 10.5.6 ;

HD1

Post by HD1 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:40 am

those who provide dsp, provide the plugs that operate on the dsp.

there are some cards that are PURE dsp (ie, not soundcards too) such as tc electronic powercore, and UAD cards. There is a little overlap with these cards, ie I believe there might be a couple of plugins available to both..but dont bank on it, I'm not certain.

if you want to run just plugins etc in a small rackmountable unit, you should google MUSE RECEPTOR....its pretty expensive I imagine, but I think you'll find it interesting
bing bing!

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:22 pm

I belive the EMU effects can be run as VSTs inside your sequencer:

"Hardware-accelerated effects - over 600 standalone and E-MU Power FX VST plug-in effects with no CPU overhead"

(from EMU home page)

I don't know how well that works and how they sound.

Other sound card makers might not have the same feature though.

yogz

Post by yogz » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:30 pm

thx for your help in my quest of getting less lantency... :wink:
I've heard about the receptor, seems great, but an bit (lot) too expensive for me.
By the way, I'm looking foward to make a vst bridge between a pc (laptop, running live session) and a mac G4 (calculate vsts); I've seen that some guys manage to do this w/ cubase.
Do you know if there a way that live can handle this?

cheers

Ben
Live 7.0.14
Mac osX 10.5.6 ;

HD1

Post by HD1 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:34 pm

check out wormhole. It introduces alot of lag, ruling out live use. But in the studio it means I can run Live on my mac, and wormhole sound over to the pc to make use of the vsts I've collected for the pc over the years.....you can audition the sound, and if you like it send the whole lot over, process it and send it back.....well you'll find whatever working method suits you best , but be prepared for the latency and you wont be dissapointed. the demo of wormhole offers enough functionality to be useful

http://plasq.com/wormhole
bing bing!

yogz

Post by yogz » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:56 pm

thanx Michael,
I want tokeep using my the plugs that I like to work with, so the dsp/soundcard solution is not the good one for my needs.
anyway as an old fan of EMU, I guess that their new products (and plugs) sould sounds as musical and well produced as before,
(I'm looking to get the proteus X2 soon: most of the EMU expander soundbanks for a lot cheaper price that it used to cost. greta deal I think) :wink:

cheers

Ben
Live 7.0.14
Mac osX 10.5.6 ;

yogz

Post by yogz » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:01 pm

check out wormhole
in fact, not much latency with your reply :wink:
I'll try this out
thx

Ben
Live 7.0.14
Mac osX 10.5.6 ;

jesQuick

Post by jesQuick » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:13 pm

If you have the money, actually its not that much, id certainly spring for one of the UAD-1 packs. They sound amazing and I think they are built around an EMU-chip...but dont bank on it. Instead of having several chips there is only 1 and that should be the reason for the spectacular sound vs cost. Definitly sounds alot better than the powercore (IMHO I think TC sucks big-time - except for maybe the M3000 and a few other processors)

-Just a tip if you are looking for ext. dsp-power-

Cheers

yogz

Post by yogz » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:36 pm

thx for these infos.
I've found the solution I wanted with asio4all (windows)
It 's an asio emulator to use w/ builtin sound card (which mean that I have a small buzz, windows card!! :? , but low enough).
now I can play high CPU vst i with quasi no lantency :D Buffer is 64 samples (in+out);
before with m-box 1, same plugs , Buffer: 1024-2048 :roll:

I'll use asio4all to record, and mbox to mix
AWSOME :D :D :D

" it's a lovely day,...)
Live 7.0.14
Mac osX 10.5.6 ;