recreate what hawtin does?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Toufas

recreate what hawtin does?

Post by Toufas » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:52 am

the slowing up/down please.
one
two
three
Last edited by Toufas on Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toufas

Post by Toufas » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:06 am

btw before you reply
dont tell me go to kvraudio and you will find it there, tell me which plugin it is.
he doesnt change the scene bpm, he doesnt mess with markers, he doesnt use transpose
if i see him live, it will be the only question that i want to ask him..
that and if he will adopt me :P

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:00 am

what makes you think that he is not using transpose? I have some ideas as to what he might be doing. I bet if you looked long enough you could find a way to do that with reaktor. I personaly have not spent enough time trying to get it going. It sounds like a very nice delay looper of some sort as well. In that clip it sounds like he is using more than one trick. The first transitions sound different then the long ones at the end. As for telling you how exactly to do it I dont know.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:46 am

Didn't you ask this very same question last month?

Anyway, it's a modular delay.... Which one, I dunno.
All i know is that ABL Pro can do this effect too.

Lord Kahn

Post by Lord Kahn » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:16 am

Even the Ableton Simple Delay can do something similar. Just link the left and right delay (thats a Live 5 only option by the way) and set it to time based delay. Vary the delay while playing audio, then release a live album. You'll probably want to put a compressor in the chain though as it can clip very easily

forge

Post by forge » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:43 am

Lord Kahn wrote:Even the Ableton Simple Delay can do something similar. Just link the left and right delay (thats a Live 5 only option by the way) and set it to time based delay. Vary the delay while playing audio, then release a live album. You'll probably want to put a compressor in the chain though as it can clip very easily
I've been doing that a bit lately- setting the time to my mod-wheel and playing with it - good idea to set the max in the Midi-controller assign options so you're not going from 1-300ms - the jumps will be too big and it will sound clunky - maybe set the max to about 50 and you can get some nice effects

unfortunately it can be a bit clicky and not that smooth

But really, this creates a bit of a different effect to the one he's talking about

Toufas

Post by Toufas » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:01 pm

transpose doesnt sound that smooth.
and keep in mind that this sample is taken from 2004.

Patch

Post by Patch » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:09 pm

In CoolEdit/Adobe Audition, there is an effect called "Gliding Stretch". You highlight a section of audio, chosse it's start and end tempo, and then it creates the effect your after.

You can "Gliding Stretch" tempo and pitch independantly. That, my friend, is what you want to do...

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:14 pm

But honestly. that effect is really "any" simple delay with ms on the right and left. The pitching up/down you hear isn't actually pitching (transpose) at all. (IMHO ;) )

It's Left and right that each are controlled by a seperate lfo or knob tweaks.
Then there's this other cool effect you always hear in those hawtin sets. It's simply switching the delay to synced and back to unsynced while tweaking the milliseconds on the left and right.
It could be that he transposes his samples or has transpose in the plugin/effect he uses. But you don't need it to come very close to that sound.
Anyway, it's my best guess. I really have no idea what he uses. For all we know everything is custom made....

Lord Kahn

Post by Lord Kahn » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:27 pm

forge wrote: But really, this creates a bit of a different effect to the one he's talking about
More than likely it's one of the effects provided by the Ensoniq DP/2 Effects Processor, which he used on "Decks, EFX & 909" (http://www.discogs.com/release/9458). That unit did include both a delay and a pitch shifter, so either could've been used really (http://www.sonicstate.com/digital/model ... 6&manuf=16)

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:53 pm

He's still using this effect or a variation of it in his current sets. I don't think he'd be using it as much as he does if it was easy to re-create exactly, also I've haven't heard a bang on copy of this effect. He seems to want to keep it as a signiture Dj effect, I say let him keep it and come up with your own effect.

P.S Or try the Delay section, using external audio in, of the new Audiorealism Bassline update. :wink:

Toufas

Post by Toufas » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:09 pm

the only equipment he gets with him on the road is his mixer afaik.

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:37 pm

You can do stuff like that in Samplitude using elastic audio, change the pitch smoothly without changing time over however many bars you want, or change the tempo without changing pitch smoothly, or anything in between, I have no clue if that's what he uses but it sounds exactly like it.

You simply make an audio object into a loop object then draw in a curve to control pitch or tempo over the length you need and the pitch changes slowly keeping time, or the tempo can change keeping the pitch, it's pretty neat for extreme use in effects and fantastic to fix pitch errors, forget autotuners, it stomps all over that.

Bumblebeeman

Post by Bumblebeeman » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:57 pm

Beat repeat is good for this looped pitching down effect ,just set the pitch control to control the speed of the pitch down, unfortunately it can't pitch up but the pitch down effect seems pretty close to what you're after

Obineg

Post by Obineg » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:59 pm

sounds very basic , he´s pitchbending a sample , old school fashion , when you bend it down , it slows down at the same time , thus creating the weird timing . . . .
macbook 2ghz / osX10.6 / built in soundcard / Apc40 / Axiom 49 / Live 8.1 / M4L