hey! just made my first track, and ive got a few q's

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
queglay

hey! just made my first track, and ive got a few q's

Post by queglay » Wed May 03, 2006 7:35 am

Hey everyone, this is my first post and I've just made my first track with live.

opax.swin.edu.au/~4021673/project%20B04%20Rendered.mp3

I must say its an absolutely awesome program.

theres a few things i haven't been able to figure out though.

can i use my own samples for impulse? currently im using battery as a vst, but its slow and clunky.

when i automate something but then change the knob again, the automation clip line goes black to indicate its been disabled. how do i enable it again?

also, is there a way to copy and paste clips with out copying the automation as well? its very anoying.

Thanks for any help guys!
Load VST Presets from Push's Browser!
http://www.audiomodder.com

Machinate

Re: hey! just made my first track, and ive got a few q's

Post by Machinate » Wed May 03, 2006 8:24 am

queglay wrote: can i use my own samples for impulse? currently im using battery as a vst, but its slow and clunky.

when i automate something but then change the knob again, the automation clip line goes black to indicate its been disabled. how do i enable it again?

also, is there a way to copy and paste clips with out copying the automation as well? its very anoying.

Thanks for any help guys!
1)Yes, simply drag and drop the samples into impulse slots. Really simple.

2)yes, the back-to-arrangement button by the transport controls at the top of the screen

3)yes, there's a lock-shaped button in the arrangement view, top right corner which toggles this (this is from memory, so I could be wrong though... I don't use arrangement view.

Cheers,
Andreas
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

queglay

Post by queglay » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:48 pm

sorry i took so long to reply i forgot my login and the forum. thanks a lot, its great when you get all yes answers!

queglay

Post by queglay » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:45 am

ok two more questions that have struck me today. sorry ive done all the tutes and feel pretty confident but these things kinda bug me.

lets say i have a full setup that i love, like an absynth configuration, and some effects, im not allowed to group them together and put them in the library. why not? is there a workaround for this?

another thing i wanted to do is, lets say ive got a track configuration i like, and i want to duplicate it so i can keep it and move on to some other configuration possibilities, how would i do that?

just got my first midi controller today. novation le 25. love it! makes me feel unstopable!

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:12 am

Easiest way to save a whole track setup is just to create an empty dummy midi cip on that track and drag to browser. Rename. Then drag the clip back to an empty midi track or just the blank area to the right of the tracks.

You can't really save you whole track configuration independantly. But just do a ordinary "Save as..." and save it under a clever name and then go back to your previous live set.

queglay

Post by queglay » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:48 am

ahh thanks man. so easy.

one thing i've noticed is my remote le x/y pad is really only working as an x pad. as in the y doesn't work at all. has anyone had issues with this?

queglay

Post by queglay » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:38 am

sorry is anyone able to tell me how to get this working? thanks for any help

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:39 pm

Usually it's hard to get Live to map to both parameters. Its probably getting some X info every time so it's not letting you map the Y.
The most foolproof way to fix it is with both Live and the Remote editor open at the same time (I use the X-Station, but same difference). Get the X of the pad mapped to what you want in Live, then go to the editor & disable the X pad. Make sure yr Y pad is set to a proper CC or whatever, then update the template on the Remote.
Provided it's not busted, the Y should now be easy to set. Then turn X back on in the editor & update the remote again.

queglay

Post by queglay » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:22 am

thanks, ill give that a shot. can i assign the cc to anyything i want and abletone will understand? i dont have much experience with that and the manual isn't that easy to understand.