new iMac intel with Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hat

new iMac intel with Live?

Post by hat » Fri May 05, 2006 7:39 pm

Been a Live user for 3 years now and it's time to give the old powerbook the boot. I'm finding it increasingly frustrating to run out of cpu as instruments and processors move up the quality scale. Instead of dishing out $2k+ for a tower and more cash for a screen, I was told to look into a new 20" iMac which may turn out to be a great little audio machine. It seems those used to be frownded upon when compared to the almighty G5 towers, but now with the Intel chip it could be a totally different story. Perhaps the frontside bus is more of a concern but I don't know the specs. I also use ProTools and will occasionally plug in the Mbox but I am also looking at Motu's Ultralite for Live and other applications. Any comments on the iMac and interface are welcome. Thanks!

www.myspace.com/krou

gomi

Re: new iMac intel with Live?

Post by gomi » Fri May 05, 2006 7:42 pm

hat wrote:Been a Live user for 3 years now and it's time to give the old powerbook the boot. I'm finding it increasingly frustrating to run out of cpu as instruments and processors move up the quality scale. Instead of dishing out $2k+ for a tower and more cash for a screen, I was told to look into a new 20" iMac which may turn out to be a great little audio machine. It seems those used to be frownded upon when compared to the almighty G5 towers, but now with the Intel chip it could be a totally different story. Perhaps the frontside bus is more of a concern but I don't know the specs. I also use ProTools and will occasionally plug in the Mbox but I am also looking at Motu's Ultralite for Live and other applications. Any comments on the iMac and interface are welcome. Thanks!

www.myspace.com/krou
the imac will be awesome with live.

protools should have it's intel version of 7.0 ready by the end of
this month.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat May 06, 2006 4:31 am

imac 20"
live
motu traveler
stylus rmx
ubershall liquid bass
wavearts suite

way cool.......way stable

Oh, and logic pro too.............can you say frigin' debt??????

shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth » Sun May 07, 2006 2:31 am

eyeknow wrote:imac 20"
live
motu traveler
stylus rmx
ubershall liquid bass
wavearts suite

way cool.......way stable

Oh, and logic pro too.............can you say frigin' debt??????
just a quick question I have stylus rmx on a PPC mac and you must have the beta plugs for rmx to run it in an Intel Mac.. got any comments on how RMX runs with these new plugs/drivers.. cheers
MacbookPro Core2Duo 17" 160 gb SATA 2gb ram.
Korg M3
1 Terabyte External Drive
Presonus Firebox
Live 6,

ayahuasca

Post by ayahuasca » Sun May 07, 2006 4:13 am

if going for the imac, I'd get the 17, so it would fit into a roll-on, and then get an external 19" monitor, as dual screens are key, and the imac intel support them.

this link compares processing power on g4's and intels and logic pro...

http://www.macworld.com/2006/04/firstlo ... lsrc=mwrss

I'm considering dumping my dig 002 and getting a motu traveler...and I will probably get macbook 15" (to replace my powerbook 1.5), + plug-in my external 19" when not on the road. As for dumping the 002, yes digi has a better interface, and is industry standard, but 90% of the time a pro will be mastering the files and they're fine with aiff files...
satellite system: mbp 2016 2.7, live 10; RME babypro, Roland A-300 pro, Shure 1540's, Shure SM7B, Roland Cube, Refx N2, Nerve....

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Sun May 07, 2006 6:13 am

I know someone who oddly enough is raving about XP stability on his iMac with music apps also.
He in fact swears it runs better on the Mac made computers than any Pc based system he's used for audio yet which is very interesting I must admit.
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....