recreate what hawtin does?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Fri May 05, 2006 4:40 am

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Sun May 07, 2006 3:01 am

That 's the grain delay and he is just playing around with some knobs mapped to pitch,frequency and delay time... :D
I do that with some samples and loops.

Dr. Zoiberg

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Sun May 07, 2006 8:04 pm

hoffman2k wrote:It's Left and right that each are controlled by a seperate lfo or knob tweaks.
Then there's this other cool effect you always hear in those hawtin sets. It's simply switching the delay to synced and back to unsynced while tweaking the milliseconds on the left and right.
You can do that with the Audiodamage Dubstation.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun May 07, 2006 9:50 pm

Dr. Zoiberg wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:It's Left and right that each are controlled by a seperate lfo or knob tweaks.
Then there's this other cool effect you always hear in those hawtin sets. It's simply switching the delay to synced and back to unsynced while tweaking the milliseconds on the left and right.
You can do that with the Audiodamage Dubstation.
...or basically any other tape delay emulation...
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Dr. Zoiberg

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Sun May 07, 2006 11:46 pm

Machinate wrote:
Dr. Zoiberg wrote:You can do that with the Audiodamage Dubstation.
...or basically any other tape delay emulation...
I meant switching to synced and back to unsynced.
Anyway the Dubstation is a really nice tape delay emulation, those who want an easy way to obtain the Hawtin effect should try it.

Toufas

Post by Toufas » Tue May 09, 2006 10:00 am

Atomikat wrote:That 's the grain delay and he is just playing around with some knobs mapped to pitch,frequency and delay time... :D
I do that with some samples and loops.
it sounds distorted though.
also dubstation adds an 100hz lfo that makes it sound weird + it doesnt sound smooth
still, i am looking for someone that said he can do it to post a sample.

Dr. Zoiberg

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Tue May 09, 2006 12:26 pm

Toufas wrote: also dubstation adds an 100hz lfo that makes it sound weird + it doesnt sound smooth
there's no lfo on the dubstation
maybe you meant the high pass filter?

Toufas

Post by Toufas » Tue May 09, 2006 7:30 pm

yes thats it, my bad :p
it makes it sound...weird

Dr. Zoiberg

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Tue May 09, 2006 8:54 pm

Toufas wrote:yes thats it, my bad :p
it makes it sound...weird
Strange.
An HP filter at 100hz makes sense in a delay - do you really want all that bass on tape delay with feedback? I doubt....

I think what you heard as weird was not the effect of the hp filter.
Try playing with other parameters; even better, assign a few controllers to time, sync, feedback and dry/wet, and have fun :-)

Dr. Zoiberg

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Tue May 09, 2006 11:09 pm

Toufas

Post by Toufas » Tue May 09, 2006 11:23 pm

hm i think i have to play more with dubstation....
it sounds nice and close to what i want :)

tech44

Re

Post by tech44 » Wed May 10, 2006 7:54 pm

In Toufas's defense I replied on other boards much like all of you are..then I tried to recreate it *exactly*. The closest I got was the PSP84, but its still not the same. It's definately not as simple as some of you think. If it is, then please do as he has ask and post an audio fille.

Dr. Zoiberg

Re: Re

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Wed May 10, 2006 8:43 pm

tech44 wrote:In Toufas's defense I replied on other boards much like all of you are..then I tried to recreate it *exactly*. The closest I got was the PSP84, but its still not the same. It's definately not as simple as some of you think. If it is, then please do as he has ask and post an audio fille.
did you check mine ?

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Wed May 10, 2006 8:53 pm

The reason people don't want to do that is because they know that it's a tape delay used to create this, it's not some magical effect that whoever it is made up all by himself, it's old hat that's been done to death by dub artist 20 years ago, the difficulty lies in the implementation of it, why would someone that doesn't have any interest in ever using that effect spend time on learning how to do it *exactly* like in the example just to prove to someone that yes, it is indeed a tape delay?

Personally I think it sounds like someone started a loop at the wrong time and is trying to wheel it back in time like "oh yeah I meant to do that" just like when my cat falls of a table like a dumbass and then proceeds to look at me like he did it on purpose.

tech44

Post by tech44 » Wed May 10, 2006 10:03 pm

ILTK wrote:The reason people don't want to do that is because they know that it's a tape delay used to create this, it's not some magical effect that whoever it is made up all by himself, it's old hat that's been done to death by dub artist 20 years ago, the difficulty lies in the implementation of it, why would someone that doesn't have any interest in ever using that effect spend time on learning how to do it *exactly* like in the example just to prove to someone that yes, it is indeed a tape delay?

Personally I think it sounds like someone started a loop at the wrong time and is trying to wheel it back in time like "oh yeah I meant to do that" just like when my cat falls of a table like a dumbass and then proceeds to look at me like he did it on purpose.
I'm not saying its not a tape delay which is why I said the same thing last week here days ago when he asked:
http://plusorminus.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=1866

Then I tried to recreate it. Its not as easy as just fiddling with ANY tape delay to get the same *exact* effect, which is what he's asking for. So please...post a file, name the plugin, or stop saying 'it's just a tape delay'.
Last edited by tech44 on Wed May 10, 2006 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.