:OT: New mac adds, what do you think?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

is mac getting to cool for there own good?

No they are the bomb and there adds speak the truth
31%
Yes they are getting to be a little bit to pompous
33%
Who the hell cares!
36%

Total votes: 36

Mike Goodwin

:OT: New mac adds, what do you think?

Post by Mike Goodwin » Tue May 09, 2006 6:12 pm

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/?networking_medium

Check these adds out. Do you find them as irritating as I do? The more I see of the mac image these days the more I am coming to dislike mac. I own a dual G5 and I like it just fine btw. But dam watching these adds just pisses me off. It seems to me that mac is getting a little more pompous than I can stomach. Instead of the cool sleek, what a killer computer feeling I am starting to get a dam this is made by the same company that makes them annoying Ipods and sells music in a format that I cant use when I dj feeling. Am I loosing touch with reality? Now all this being said I don’t rely care that much about image. Im sure the new macs are very nice. But from my experience they have there own problems. And don’t always “just work”.

What do you folks think?

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Tue May 09, 2006 6:21 pm

Get a TiVo :twisted:

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Tue May 09, 2006 6:34 pm

i think its a corporate image like any other, tho not as evil as microsoft.
i think they are ALOT more straight-forward to operate.
as a kid i was rockin a pc, and being a kid i didnt have money so I warez'd photoshop and warez'd plugins to use with it.
now I'm an adult, I have money and I've gone legit - I dont watch tv, so I'm oblivious to their ads wherever they are broadcasting them - I dont care what they do in their ads really, but I am very happy with the hardware - and especially the whole mactel side of things. works like a dream....
for a pro or an amateur with high aspirations mac is the way to go, especially now with the intel chips. I'm putting pennies aside for a mactel workstation when they come out....i am VERY happy I bought an iMactel for performing and didnt go with a PC workstation, which was my other option.

really, the ads are pretty meaningless - they were ALWAYS this pompous if I remember correctly. its the hardware that counts, and mine is great...
if you remember a time when they were not this pompous - you were probably feeling elite cause you had a mac or something, now mac seems like the obvious choice and its not so chic anymore

I hate messing with irq settings and all that shit, or having incomprehensible clashes between hardware and stuff......but from years of dealing with that stuff on a PC, using a mac is easy peasy.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Tue May 09, 2006 6:44 pm

I sort of agree... it's about like we're being hijacked by this whole iTunes, iLifestyle business. I think Apple's market share will potentially sky rocket over the next five odd years, but I'm not sure I'll still be along... I bought my first x86 box just this week. It'll run Linux and be vaguely media centery mostly, but I think that's where I'm going. If companies like Ableton don't follow, well, I/we will just have to find/write an alternative...
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Tue May 09, 2006 6:45 pm

They do "just work"

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Tue May 09, 2006 7:07 pm

Put me down as a big 'ol vote against them. As much as they are accurate, I would hate to be associated with the sort of personality or character they trying to attract/represent.

Think Bitchy

Nah. Whiny maybe.

The apple store is only place I can go where I feel like I am in some sort of earthy cult but I am being sold overpiced technology.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Tue May 09, 2006 7:18 pm

i think too much emphasis is being put on the ads. if you like mac technology, well then perhaps its a good thing that the company can thrive by selling products to bitchy whiny people, by targeting their ads at bitchy whiny people. if indeed that is the case...i dunno, since i havent seen the ads or give a fuck about the ads or read mac weekly etc etc

i just use the thing, and its a good thing to use. and now i can use pc utilities on it. so its an even better thing to use. hip hip hooray.

'but those ads are sooo lame, I wish it was 2002 again so I would look kooler in starbucks'

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Tue May 09, 2006 7:21 pm

I've been on a Mac for over 2 years now. I've always found their ads + image to be more pretentious than I'm comfortable with.

But whatever.

Since switching OSX has crashed on me once, and I lost nothing in the crash. In fact, the crash happened as I was shutting the computer off.

Their screens are easier on my eyes, and the hardware is beautiful. Considering what a huge portion of my life I spend working on a computer, my Macs have been worth every penny.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue May 09, 2006 7:24 pm

I don't care if they are pompus, I don't care if they are better computers........what I do care about is....

THOSE ARE THE WORST DAMN COMMERCIALS!

It's so cheeeeeeeeesy..........and I have a macintel!!!!!!!!!

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Tue May 09, 2006 7:32 pm

hehe - its official, the whole world's gone crazy. giving a shit about ads....i just dont get it, I mean....ok ya, it might matter if the ad is insensitive or something
but they are doing the same old bullshit ads they always did, only time has passed and the company is more successful - which means more people own or want an apple product - maybe this is what's really distressing for some people ? and in another 5 years, they will probably be doing the same bullshit ads but for a newer, different market......perhaps slutty & whiny. and it wont matter then either, cos [a] i wont be watching them the machine works the way it works regardless of the marketing

are the things overpriced ? Dunno, different topic anyways.

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Tue May 09, 2006 7:33 pm

Regardless of the commercials themselves, I'm just happy that they are advertising specific features of the Mac instead of generic "this PPC chip smokes intel chips" (well, I guess they can't do that anymore.) Or solely relying on the look of the computer (aka iMac sticking it's "tongue" out at a window shopper).

Now there are ads specfically saying:

1. There are no mac viruses.
2. Better software comes with Macs (even if it exaggerates the point)
3. Pointing out at least one review that says the iMac is the best desktop.

I think pointing out more specifics like this is long overdue instead of trying to just promote an "image" (which these ads still do to a degree).

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Tue May 09, 2006 7:40 pm

rbmonosylabik wrote:They do "just work"
Glad you have not had problems yet. Hope you never do. My mac would not work with my powercore and uad cards and when it came down to it there was no fixing it. In my situation it did not "just work".

Benshik

Post by Benshik » Tue May 09, 2006 7:52 pm

i think Apple is playing a dangerous game here.
A young professional-looking guy becomes the symbol of Mac
An ageing loser embodies the PCs...
who will i relate to?

actually, It is not because i am a mac user and that i look much more like the mac guy in the commercial that my sympathy will go to him. that's the mistake a lot of advertisers do. they think: "oh yes, no one wants to be an ageing loser, so lets take an ageing loser to symbolise a PC" but the PC guy in the films end up being quite funny. who knows, the ads might even work against them?

anyway im bored of ads in which products are symbolised by some characters.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue May 09, 2006 8:16 pm

Damn. these are so lame, pathetic, they should fire imbecils who did them.
I love watching ads, not only as a habit after years of doing music for them but usually they tell me more about people of any country I happend to be then non commercial TV and I enjoy seeing brilliant ones. So many outstanding directors , great artists came from this industry.
However in this foul apple case it is also the idea behind, coming from "above" not just bad work. Weird how far from "think different" and George Clinton from years back. Nothing new though, it all started with the bloody Starbucks, Jessica m..f..Parker and Sex in the city rubbish.
I didnt care for pc image, just that it performed better when I got to using them, if Macs will really perform better will get one and I dont give a fuck about the lame image. After all these are only bunch of wires.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Tue May 09, 2006 8:33 pm

Benshik wrote:who knows, the ads might even work against them?
maybe - tho you'd have to be a complete loon to make choices based on these kind of 'lifestyle' ads. so there would have to be an awful lot of loons out there for it to work either against them or for them.

if your task is graphics, talk to some graphics people - read some graphics literature, and get the machine thats best. etc etc.

dropping this kind of money on a product because you find the guy in the ad funny, or you can empathise with him.....is dumb. and infact, maybe the mac is the better choice for those dumbasses - because it does 'just work' in most respects - enough for those fools anyways. all 5 of them.