universal audio la-610

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
john gordon

universal audio la-610

Post by john gordon » Wed May 10, 2006 11:16 am

after researching for a couple of weeks and changing my mind about 10 times i decided to go with this preamp.has anyone here heard this or even better does anyone have it?also besides using it for vocals i want to run my guitar and a bass through it.does that make a big difference in sound for those instruments?
thanks

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed May 10, 2006 8:37 pm

I have no idea, but I hate you for being able to get one! :lol:

The thing is, I'm looking for a preamp for bass actually, there is no way I know of to compare. :?

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Wed May 10, 2006 11:21 pm

i will let you know,but i have nothing to compare it to either.it just came in a couple hours ago.the one thing thats sucks is that i have a motu 828 and i heard their a/d converters were crap.i kinda want to wait til i better convertors before i even hook up the preamp cause i dont want to be disappointed. :?

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Thu May 11, 2006 12:49 am

john gordon wrote:i will let you know,but i have nothing to compare it to either.it just came in a couple hours ago.the one thing thats sucks is that i have a motu 828 and i heard their a/d converters were crap.i kinda want to wait til i better convertors before i even hook up the preamp cause i dont want to be disappointed. :?
I dunno, they sounded pretty good (not great) to me when I first bought my traveler. Have you actually had a chance to give the box a listen yet?

If you have an 828 mk2, their converters are the same ones used by apogee and RME. If you don't like the way it sounds out of the box, peep this.

I had my Traveler modified by this company, and it mos definitely sounds better to me. I was about to ditch it for the ensemble until Adam Jay put me on to this cat doing these mods. He also has sound samples up for you to hear.
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

kptkar

Post by kptkar » Thu May 11, 2006 3:38 am

I've heard bass's thru the DI and it sounds great. Never tried or heard guitars thru it but I'm sure it would make a great front end for clean guitar or before amp simulation stuff. Vocals of course with a little touch of LA is always good.
iBook G4 1.33, 1.25mb FW410,Edirol PCR50. Live 5+Operator.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu May 11, 2006 9:10 am

kptkar wrote:I've heard bass's thru the DI and it sounds great. Never tried or heard guitars thru it but I'm sure it would make a great front end for clean guitar or before amp simulation stuff. Vocals of course with a little touch of LA is always good.
basses through the 610? I'd be interested in details.... :D :D :D

The "idea" is that with the oc, you can get mondo headroom without clipping......or so that's idea anyways...........

could be especially nice for those of us in the 5 and 6 string realm :D

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Thu May 11, 2006 2:34 pm

john gordon wrote:i will let you know,but i have nothing to compare it to either.it just came in a couple hours ago.the one thing thats sucks is that i have a motu 828 and i heard their a/d converters were crap.i kinda want to wait til i better convertors before i even hook up the preamp cause i dont want to be disappointed. :?
When you use a better preamp, you probably won't hear it for the first time and have your mind blown. What happened with me was after I used my new higher end preamp for a while and made a bunch of recordings I got used to the sound. It hit me when I would listen to a song that I had recorded before I had the preamp, using the same recording equipment. The songs I made before I had it were sort of flat and limp sounding. I'd a/b that with a newer song that I'd done with the new pre. It was awesome. The new recordings were much more lively and had a lot more depth and character.

You made a good move.

hat

Post by hat » Thu May 11, 2006 6:39 pm

The UA 610 and all of it's spinoffs has always been known to excel as a bass DI, many folks I know have at least one 610 to use mostly for direct bass recording. As for the preamp itself, it is definitely not for everyone, very dependant on the style you are after. They can get rather mushy if overused on many tracks in a project, also depends on what mic you pair it with. I think the LA-610 makes a great first "pro" preamp when working in the motu/digi/presonus realm for a few years, it is certainly a step up in that regards. I may even get one for myself soon.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Thu May 11, 2006 9:53 pm

yeah,im dying to try it.i was really busy today,but tonight im going to check it out.im still a little worried about my converters in the motu.rahlo pointed me in the right direction as far as that goes though.actually,is anyone using any of the apogee a/d convertors?