Itunes support

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone

Itunes support

Post by Tone » Fri May 12, 2006 3:52 pm

I have a giant mp3 library that is organized nicely with Itunes. Trying to find songs through the Live folder browser is very difficult. does anyone have a better way to set up librarys? "drag and drop" from itunes would be real nice.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Fri May 12, 2006 4:53 pm

What I do is make the iTunes music library folder that I find in Live's browser the root folder for that section of Live's browser. In other words, when you locate the iTunes music library in Live's browser, click on the root button at the top of Live's browser, so, the next time you click on that section of Live's browser all you will see is your iTunes library.

True, drag and drop from iTunes would be cool, but using the above method is a bit more streamlined because you don't have to be running iTunes and Live at the same time. Once I got used to using the library this way it was easy to find what I needed from iTunes.

Tone

Post by Tone » Fri May 12, 2006 6:19 pm

ya I guess the real convience w/ itunes would be being able to drag and drop from playlists. trying to find set you made would not be fun to lookup through folders. Or say a 15 cd compilation. theese would be in seperate folders with artists names and not grouped how you would want to view them for mixing purposes.

richardl

Post by richardl » Fri May 12, 2006 9:21 pm

You can drag and drop from iTunes into Live on Windows as long as the file is a format Live understands like MP3 or WAV.

I don't know if it works on Mac because I don't have the current version of Live installed on my Mac.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri May 12, 2006 9:36 pm

drag and drop does not appear to work with mp3's on mac.

alan*

Post by alan* » Sat May 13, 2006 2:11 am

for me the key is just keeping my itunes library organized so i know where the tunes are being stored so i know where to find them from within live's browser, once you get used to it it's fine, just organize your tunes well from within itunes
2.16ghz mbp 3gb, motu ultralite

http://myspace.com/indijika

thx1138

Post by thx1138 » Sat May 13, 2006 2:21 am

Treat your files like records and sort into one main cache with Styles/lables and artist then a separate folder of all the stuff you play out that is new. Of course do it you're own way cos that's what its all about :D
Macbook Pro C2D2.5 17"/4G/OSX.5.6/Live8.12/Brain/Bla bla bla bla

Tone

Post by Tone » Sat May 13, 2006 5:01 pm

good sugestions, but I think we are still missing the point. I don't want to spend any time organizing my mp3's thats what Itunes is for. If I sat there and spent all my time "rotating my stock" I'd have time for nothing else. trust me I remember back w/ napster (haha) back then I probally only had 400-500 mp3's and it was still a process to keep nice.

alan*

Post by alan* » Sun May 14, 2006 2:02 am

Does it really matter what format your using, vinyl, cd's, digital, you've still got to keep them organized so you know where a tune is when you want it ?

ispytodd

Post by ispytodd » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:59 pm

True, you do have to keep everything organized, however, one of the HUGE advantages of using a database like itunes is that you can use virtual crates (aka playlists).... Playing a lounge set? Then goto your lounge playlist... Have a track that falls into two genres? Then put the track in both crates.. Prepare special crates for special nights. Also, you cant beat the instant gratification from 'most recently added' to find your new stuff.

Ill spend hrs at home organizing my music into crates that make sense to me just so that I can save myself a few moments of panic at a gig. When we had to deal with a physical medium such a vinyl we dealt with it's limitations - namely having one copy of a track. No need to obide by those rules now. Unfortunately Live still looks at audio files like records. No virtual crates, no readily accessible metadata... I know some of that is slated to change in v6, but I think the library will still be crippled compared to iTunes. *sigh*

alan*

Post by alan* » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:16 am

yes true, it would be really nice if you could look at your 'playlists' in the live browser rather than the library, i have had to create at least 2 seperate libraries for different genres just so i can have some classification....and its a pain switching between libraries for importing to itunes all the time...there must be another way ?

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:15 am

there is no real drag and drop from itunes on a mac, but you can rightclick on the file and choose the "show file"-comand, a finder-window with the song will open and you can drag and drop from there.

alan*

Post by alan* » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:40 pm

I would much rather be able to view my playlists within live's browser and drag from there.

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:58 pm

remember when we had to carry records to gigs?

get over yourself, and do a little work, you pansies.
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:02 pm

eyeknow wrote:drag and drop does not appear to work with mp3's on mac.
It does in Live 6 :D