Organizing vst plugins / samples folder

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tomperson

Organizing vst plugins / samples folder

Post by tomperson » Mon May 15, 2006 3:53 pm

Hey, how do you organize your plugins?
I'm currentky into re-organizing my plugins folder, i think that will lead to a better and faster work flow. Here's my proposed folder structure:

-delay
-distortion
-dynamics
------compressor
------limiter
-eq
-filter
-modulation
------flanger
------phaser
------chorus
------tremolo
------ring modulation
------wah wah
-reverb
-fx and utilities
------vocoder
------spatial
-----------stereo enhancer
-----------panning
------exciter
------pitch shifting / time stretching / tuning
------utilities
-----------audio to midi
-----------analyzer and metering
-----------recording
-----------routing
-----------network
------lo fi
------spectral processing
-midi fx
-mastering
-multieffects

What do you think? Anything to add/change?

Hope this is useful for other people too
Last edited by tomperson on Mon May 15, 2006 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Mon May 15, 2006 4:02 pm

i have mine in this order:

VST plugs>

Instruments (all in the root)

FX>comps/eqs - delays - reverbs - sets (bundles) - Other

I suppose your system would work well, i just hate having to scroll down to find something so i have kept the folders to a minimum.

EDIT - i also try to be brutal about what i have in my folders, i used to have hundreds of free plugs but i spent a day testing them & reduced them down considerably to just the ones that i would actually use.

sqook

Post by sqook » Mon May 15, 2006 4:10 pm

Mine are organized by manufacturer. It's the easiest way for me to find what I want. Trying to categorize them just leads to problems later on as you think of new categories.

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Mon May 15, 2006 4:29 pm

Meef Chaloin,
Yes, at the root of my vst folder I have a VST folder and a VSTi folder for effects and instruments respectively. As far as reducing plugins, I'm on a minimalistic approach, too, but i still think i can improve my workflow by having a clear vision of my plugins just by looking at the folder organization.

Nowadays I may think 'hhmmmm, a distortion would do here', but instead of having a clear idea of where are all my distortions, i have to go back and forth looking in the plugins folder trying to remember the name of the plugins or the manufacturers, none of which have anything to do with the logic of the moment, which urges me to find a "distortion", regardless of its name or manufacturer. This address the idea of manufacturer-oriented organization.

I used to have a complete mess in my computer, now i'm working on that problem, and it's like going to therapy, your mind gets clearer and you start working much better. I truly recommend to everyone to spend a few days sorting out data and programs. It's really worth the effort.
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

sqook

Post by sqook » Mon May 15, 2006 4:50 pm

tomperson wrote: Nowadays I may think 'hhmmmm, a distortion would do here', but instead of having a clear idea of where are all my distortions, i have to go back and forth looking in the plugins folder trying to remember the name of the plugins or the manufacturers, none of which have anything to do with the logic of the moment, which urges me to find a "distortion", regardless of its name or manufacturer. This address the idea of manufacturer-oriented organization.
The problem with your approach here is that lots of plugins are very cross-application. Take a look at audio damage's discord, for example. On the surface, it's just a pitch shifting plugin. However, it can also distort, filter, act as a reverb, and do tons of other stuff. So where would that fit in your folder system? If you want to use it as a reverb, you'd never find it because it would be in your "pitch shifting" folder.

Furthermore, I find myself increasingly using versitile, multi-effect plugins. Divine Machine's minion and the luxonic lfx-1310 are two prime examples that I seem to end up using the most. I can understand your desire to more specifically organize things by sound, but I think a better approach is knowing the software you use the most, knowing how it works, and being able to find it easily when you need it... IMO, your time is better spent simplifying your setup by removing those plugs you rarely use. :)

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Mon May 15, 2006 5:57 pm

I agree, there will always be some cross application plugins. In my case they are the fewer (compared to the bread and butter ones, at least), and i generally tend to think of them in terms of the main use i give them (filtering, delay, whatever). Nevertheless, you could always set up a multieffects folder for those hybrid mofo's :)

This process is also geared towards getting to know my plugins better, which as you said, is really important. Everything that will shorten the path between 'wanting this or that sound' and the implementation of it is in high priority for me at the moment.

And what about samples? How are you organizing you samples collection? Do you have a name convention?

sqook

Post by sqook » Mon May 15, 2006 6:24 pm

tomperson wrote: This process is also geared towards getting to know my plugins better, which as you said, is really important. Everything that will shorten the path between 'wanting this or that sound' and the implementation of it is in high priority for me at the moment.
Yeah, agreed. I think we may just have two different ways of looking at this problem..
And what about samples? How are you organizing you samples collection? Do you have a name convention?
Yipes, better to just ask me about my plugin organization :)

Lovin Teris

Post by Lovin Teris » Mon May 15, 2006 6:41 pm

Thanks, guys! :)

You just triggered a major cleanup on my system, including removing games I never play anymore and lots of dodgy audioware.

My 2 cents as far as VSTs are concerned: Effects / Instruments, then (rough) types under Effects. Difficult ones go in the Misc folder (not many).
Listen to Lovin Teris at Soundclick!

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Mon May 15, 2006 7:04 pm

Excellent man. Take your time, do it right and go where you didn't dare to go! I'd advice to try to remove all those vicious "various" and "downloads" folders, categorize as much as you can, and don't leave things for "tomorrow", as you'll have a complete mess again in no-time (trust me on this one).

You'll feel much liberated after cleaning up, mate.

Lovin Teris

Post by Lovin Teris » Mon May 15, 2006 7:23 pm

Life is good again :D
Listen to Lovin Teris at Soundclick!

Mika

Post by Mika » Mon May 15, 2006 9:49 pm

Don't forget regcleaner + defrag after uninstalling stuff on Windows.

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Mon May 15, 2006 10:48 pm

When i come up with a sample folders organization, i'll let you know.