MPC vs All softwares mega stellar battle intergalactica!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
deckme(N)tal

MPC vs All softwares mega stellar battle intergalactica!!

Post by deckme(N)tal » Thu May 25, 2006 10:03 am

software sequencer that has got midi timing precise as hardware (mpc)?
or is it possible? in your experience...
no soft vs hard wars...i just get proves everyday that midi timing in software is always a little bit off...
Last edited by deckme(N)tal on Fri May 26, 2006 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

deckme(N)tal

Post by deckme(N)tal » Thu May 25, 2006 12:20 pm

i guess it seems a stupid question, but it is not :lol:

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Thu May 25, 2006 1:16 pm

The thing about the MPC is its sequencer. One of my co-workers talks about this all the time. He has every software sampler under the sun, but to him nothing sounds and feels and sequences quite like his MPCs. I think of MPCs as instruments. There is Gibson's Les Paul, Fender's Stratocaster, and Akai's MPC 2000.

I could sell you a plug-in called Virtual Guitarist, but there is no way I would ever tell you it's as good as the real thing.

deckme(N)tal

Post by deckme(N)tal » Thu May 25, 2006 1:34 pm

that's is what i wanted to know....for somedays i felt like a victim of akai marketing strategies :lol: ...so i am not the only one having this idea...

funk313

Post by funk313 » Thu May 25, 2006 1:40 pm

definitly not..bought a mpc 1000 a month ago..and its fat..perfect togheter with Live
espescially if you are on a laptop (liiveacts)..

deckme(N)tal

Post by deckme(N)tal » Thu May 25, 2006 1:47 pm

sorry. definetely not reffered to what?
anyway i tried to record midi drum events in mpc 1000 and in live and they have gote really different placing....(mpc a lot better)
i bought mpc 1000 2 months ago and it is a charm in conjunction with live.... :P

marky

Post by marky » Thu May 25, 2006 1:50 pm

Ooh weird I had a dream last night that I bought an MPC for livesets... I think this is a sign lads.
Awright Bawjaws, that smells lovely son, gies a wee taste!
--------------------------------
www.myspace.com/interposition

beale

A certain something...

Post by beale » Thu May 25, 2006 2:21 pm

There is something about the timing of an MPC. it's much more noticable as you add swing to a beat. They have signature feel to them. A long time ago I had a file that I could import into Logic so I could impose an MPC's feel on a track. I'll try to find it and post it here.
"It sounded better broken"

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Thu May 25, 2006 2:44 pm

:idea: I'd be interested to hear a test between the MPC's sequencer and a software based sequencer. :idea:

An MPC owner would have their MPC set-up for banging out a beat to be recorded and sequenced internally, while at the same time having the midi out plugged into an interface and have the same beat recorded and sequenced in a DAW based sequencer.

The results could then be posted so the peanut gallery could hear it and compare and contrast.

Anyone have the spare elbow grease to try this experiment?

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu May 25, 2006 2:49 pm

Sales Dude McBoob wrote::idea: I'd be interested to hear a test between the MPC's sequencer and a software based sequencer. :idea:

An MPC owner would have their MPC set-up for banging out a beat to be recorded and sequenced internally, while at the same time having the midi out plugged into an interface and have the same beat recorded and sequenced in a DAW based sequencer.

The results could then be posted so the peanut gallery could hear it and compare and contrast.

mate, great idea especially if it's carried out more like a pepsi challenge.. aka a blind test.

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Thu May 25, 2006 2:49 pm

Is there a subject that tells ppl what a thread is about.

-Ben

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Thu May 25, 2006 2:53 pm

sweetjesus wrote:
Sales Dude McBoob wrote::idea: I'd be interested to hear a test between the MPC's sequencer and a software based sequencer. :idea:

mate, great idea especially if it's carried out more like a pepsi challenge.. aka a blind test.
Yeah, perfect... Take the MPC challenge!

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Thu May 25, 2006 7:35 pm

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, i don't think so.

I love my mpc2000xl and will never sell it, but the only thing different about it is workflow. Sorry, there is no magical timing difference. Most folks who produce hip hop with the mpc use samples that already have inherent rhythm in them to build tracks, and that style certainly has it's own flavor, but you could do the same in live or other software.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Jackal and Hyde

Re: there is a .....

Post by Jackal and Hyde » Thu May 25, 2006 7:53 pm

deckme(N)tal wrote:software sequencer that has got midi timing precise as hardware (mpc)?
or is it possible? in your experience...
no soft vs hard wars...i just get proves everyday that midi timing in software is always a little bit off...

Not that it matters, but an MPC will always be more on time because it has an internal crystal that keeps its timing, so it is 100% accurate always. A Computer does not have this and (when your really splitting hairs) also has many different voltage changes running on a motherboard/memory running different software/OS that would further make it only 99.999999% accurate. An MPC would win this test any day. Ask any electrician thats also a musician.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu May 25, 2006 7:59 pm

You can add swing to your ableton sets - it's pretty nice

I do the whole thing flat and then when I'm done I turn the swing up just to see if it makes a difference and it does 7 time out of 10

I know the MPC timing is tighter but seriously your not gonna lose any sleep over the difference
Ableton | Elektron

Music