No longer selling G5. Sketch Macbook stories, 1after another

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LOFA

No longer selling G5. Sketch Macbook stories, 1after another

Post by LOFA » Thu May 25, 2006 6:19 am

Why would anyone on this forum want this? I don't know! Perhaps to resell on Ebay?

I am getting rid of this. Yes it makes those G5 chirps. No CHUD applications have been done so it's CPU's have been spared. It has about 10 months of applecare left.

It is a dual 2.0g G5, with 1gb of ram, tiger, and a 240gb hardrive. I would like to get at least $800 for it. I realize that we are all clever enough to realize that by Ableton terms there are better ways to spend this money. However, if you are into reselling, running nodes, or perhaps just always wanted the alluminum casing for yourself- here it is.

I am an honest guy. My ebay status is %100, and I am all about Paypal. I will be removing all of my paid software from my computer. The guys at Trackteam and the Covert Operators deserve compensation for their efforts! If, however, you are interested in Logic Pro 7 (academic,) I am willing to part with its eye candy and hordes of goodies. I have discovered Max, and I barely ever touch Logic anymore. Just don't have the time.

So, if you are interested in the bulk buy, I am prepared to be quite reasonable, if not a sucker. PM me if you have offers. Post if you have questions or find it curious that apple products still manage to get resell value, even after their particular technology has been abandoned.

I also have an fw-1884 and fw1814. I am not sure that I need both, so feel free to PM about these as well. I got a fantastic deal on the Tascam so I might be able to go a little lower, but I do love its smooth-as-silk flying faders!

Thanks for your interest!

Ian

EDIT: Here's a look!
Last edited by LOFA on Thu May 25, 2006 10:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu May 25, 2006 6:49 am

If no one here is interested I will unload it on ebay next week.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu May 25, 2006 11:46 am

i bought an iBook from ebay. the guy never removed his software.

bigwayne56

PM G5

Post by bigwayne56 » Thu May 25, 2006 2:20 pm

Hey LOFA,

I might be interested, shoot me an emial when you get a chance.....

bigwayne56 at earthlink dot com

Spelled out for non-spamming purposes.....

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Thu May 25, 2006 3:28 pm

When the MacBook Pros came out I thought I would sell my G5 and my Powerbook and trade up.

But I've changed my mind. I love my G5. I love that big metal beast! It's been so good to me. I've got everything running smoothly on it and I want to keep it that way.

This sounds like a good deal, but I'm all set for now.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu May 25, 2006 4:01 pm

Sales Dude McBoob wrote:When the MacBook Pros came out I thought I would sell my G5 and my Powerbook and trade up.

But I've changed my mind. I love my G5. I love that big metal beast! It's been so good to me. I've got everything running smoothly on it and I want to keep it that way.

This sounds like a good deal, but I'm all set for now.

I know what you mean. Once 6 comes out this beast will have fangs again as well. I would like to get a laptop though.

you can get me at my gmail account if you are interested, as my ableton account has already been filled.

edited

I want at least $800 dollars without logic. At least $1200 with it. There has been some interest expressed. That's great!
Last edited by LOFA on Thu May 25, 2006 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu May 25, 2006 10:27 pm

Never mind. I don't trust these new laptops. I will hold to my G5 until the meroms come out, one way or another.

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Thu May 25, 2006 10:50 pm

LOFA wrote:Never mind. I don't trust these new laptops. I will hold to my G5 until the meroms come out, one way or another.
what do u mean you dont trust them?

mine has been runing flawlessly. the ONLY minor issue with them is the whine which is completely taken care of by removing the extension posted here before or using the app QuietMBP.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri May 26, 2006 4:10 am

I can't figure out why if there was already a problem with the way they put together the last ones they would be so careless as to not allow for proper venitilation in these. I need a laptop so badly, and I am sick to death of waiting. I was hoping to go to the Apple store this weekend and pick one up and sell this to get rid of the dent, but I don't even want on of these anymore.

I do not want to buy another computer that I may never be happy with, and since at least I know where everything is on on this one, I am going to just buy an LCD tonight for portability purposes and wait till Fall, Winter or however long it takes for either AMD, intel, or whomever to put out a product I can trust. I can transport my tower if I need to, it's not like I'm in NYC anymore, dragging it on a Subway.

Actuel

Post by Actuel » Fri May 26, 2006 4:44 am

...errrr, ok. :D

had mine for the last week and I absolutely love mine. i'm so pleased that i've actually decided to let my dualie 2.0ghz G5 go! my experience and my friends with MBP have been great.

now or later...i think their are many factors to consider and there's pro & cons. i just decided to jump.

good luck...see you on the other side :wink:
/a

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Fri May 26, 2006 7:02 am

LOFA you're just acting silly, that and you must read online threads/ posts way too fucking much.

the macbook pros are perfectly fine.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri May 26, 2006 7:44 am

:D

I am under a lot of pressure. I thought gettiing rid of this G5 and getting a laptop would be a good idea. Sort of make things easier. Nah. The more I think about it there is no way in hell I can change machines 2/3rds of the way through a project when I have absolutely no idea how the performance is gonna hold up with heating issues and recalls. This isn't so much about not trusting apple as it is not trusting a new machine. I thought about giving it a try but after the chirping g5's, bad experiences with tech support, recent issues with the new line and heat, and the questionable status of intel compatability with plugins and drivers, I have opted to chill out, and feel really guilty for getting a couple of people's hopes up.

As much as I want a macbook, the macbook I want is not available yet. In order to use live the way I would like, and not just as a DJ tool or DAW, I am going to need at least the performance of a macbook without the worry of over heating. My G5 cannot handle it'self without glitching past %50 cpu usage. If I am going to drop another $1500-3000, I want to feel like I have what I need. I jumped the gun. I no longer feel like buying a first generation computer with established hardware problems. I already did that once, and I don't even feel like passing that on to anyone. $800 dollars will get you a macmini that kicks my G5's ass. I highly reccommend that or an Imac instead of scavenging ppc's off of misfortunate cats like myself.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri May 26, 2006 7:58 am

One more thing. The novation sl25. It does what it was advertised as being able to do. Currently I am more interested in exploring the update of my lc xmu so that I can better utilize my trusty old microkontrol than confrom to the very foreign feeling (for me, at the moment,) subjective layout of the sl 25's automap and layout.

Now I just bought the SL25, and I am geeked about it, but immediately after buying it I found a way to do what I needed for a project without "automap" ( http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... t=morphing ) so rather than get hung up on more and newer gear, I've decided to buckle down, get creative, innovate, and show the world how to warp tracks like they did in 2004!

3 months ago I thought a macbookpro and an sl25 would stop comets from hitting the planet. Now I'm just reminding myself how much it sucked to be one of the first round of guinea pigs on a very expensive item.

I am. however, a very silly little man. :)

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri May 26, 2006 9:10 am

ya
and a bit of a girl's blouse

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri May 26, 2006 9:54 am

LOFA wrote: I am. however, a very silly little man. :)
No you are NOT. You are a brother-in-arms who has just overcome a nasty bout of technophilia with neomania-related complications. We of the reality distortion field salute you.

We will now bow our heads for the 12-step prayer...
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud