can we expect Live 5 64-bit version?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Mon May 29, 2006 12:47 pm

"You also get benefits even if you don't need the memory. I think most people think that 64-bit is only if you have a big database or you have a workstation-type app or CAD app. But even here in town there happens to be a music recording company called Cakewalk, and they converted their multitrack recording system to run on x64 on top of the Intel EMT machine, and they got 40% improvement. That wasn't because they needed the memory. They got it because of the way registers are handled in the calling conventions, in the floating point. So you get benefits beyond just having the raw amount of memory by moving to this architecture."

40%! cheeeeez. I would be very interested to know just how much faster a real time audio application like Live would thrive with a all ram enviroment to live in. Think about it, you could load your ENTIRE live pa set into ram and be done with your hard drive. That just makes allot of sence.

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Mon May 29, 2006 12:56 pm

What an interesting/yet complicated moment to buy a computer. I think many of us will have to calm down, leave gear lust at a side, and wait.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

zen meditation would be cool.
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

forge

Post by forge » Mon May 29, 2006 1:24 pm

tomperson wrote:What an interesting/yet complicated moment to buy a computer. I think many of us will have to calm down, leave gear lust at a side, and wait.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

zen meditation would be cool.
I think we have to get used to the fact that we'll be in this state for ever from now on - even forgetting more's law computing power will only ever grow exponentially meaning probably for the rest of our lives until the world as we know it ends we will be in this state of not wanting to buy anything because of the new thing that is coming out.

meanwhile, in 2026: "AppleSoft today announced the new Windows OSXXX - weed rat carnivale operating system to run on the latestst 64GigaBit Pentium 12 - 128TeraHerz Bio-Nano-Bot VR host.

AbleBerg's new product Live Base SX 12 is said to finally have got rid of the fucking orange dot and put in a hide browser shortcut.

But critics say: "what use is a hide browser key when the browser is now a virtual chest of drawers in a virtual room?".

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Mon May 29, 2006 6:13 pm

eyeknow wrote:Now, when vista comes out......maybe.........MAYBE there will be some interest. But with mac, it's all UB stuff right now.....and even though the desktop units can do 64 bit, what apps run on it? What drivers run on it?
Everything runs on 64 bit Macs (never heard of needing new drivers either), it's just very little of it that runs 64 bit except for bits of the OS... I think Apple will push 64 bit in a jbig way, though - They seemed to enjoy the WE ARE SUPERCOMPUTERS ting they had with the G5!
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.