What got you into using Ableton Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:28 am

I was in England visiting a friend, and decided to visit Berlin and meet Urs Heckman, the guy behind Zebra, and Filterscape. He met me in a bar with Alex from Ableton ( I think it was Alex?), and we talked for hours. Alex was really very excited about Live, and though I had a stripped down free version of 3 from some stupid BT remix contest, I hadn't really gotten into it.
When he asked me what my music sounded like, and I told him somewhere between Legendary Pink Dots and Skinny Puppy, he was into that big time, I guess those were his favorite groups!
If the designers are listening to Skinny Puppy, and as cool as Alex was, then I had to give it a try. Besides that, I wanted something that you could use live, and improvise on your own sequences with. I still use other DAWs, another reason I started with Live, I find it somewhat invigorating to learn, and it helps to throw out new creative ideas.

nbr0118

Post by nbr0118 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:57 am

nebulae wrote:
nbr0118 wrote:I LOST MY CUBASE DONGLE!! Best move I could have ever made :wink:
You mean this literally or metaphorically?
I mean literally I lost it. I never wanted to go back through the hassle of getting it back from steinberg since I heard it was like pulling teeth. BTW, does anyone know how to get back a cubase dongle :)
Regards,

Nathan Reyes

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:11 am

I was a midi sequenced Live PA for YEARS before I got into production. I went and picked up Cubase V in '00, and that was my first software ever. I immediately found out that it sucked for any sort of improv, or composition on the fly - which is what I had been doing for over 8 years by that point.

Soooo,

I don't even remember HOW I got into Live, but it was version 1, and I had to pre-order it before it was released. I probably found out about it on a forum somewheres!!!

;)

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:40 am

A copy of Live Lite (2.1 ...I think) came with my Firewire Audiophile and I started to discover the power of it. After that, every piece of hardware I got came with Live lite and Reason. Finally Live 5 came out and bought the full version (I already had Reason 3.0 , full) those are the only programs I use today for playing live and produce music...MBox is getting dusty in a corner :D

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:48 am

I just jumped on the bandwagon with Live 5. I heard a lot about how amazing it was and all, but didn't get to try it until a friend found a cracked Mac version. I ran it, went through the tutorials and in less than a day I had a song almost finished, something I couldn't do with DP for the life of me, even though I love it.

Then I began running intro problems with the crack freezing and quitting Live and such, so in a trip to the US I bought it along with my Kontrol 49 and BCR2000. Best buy ever.

Also, when I opened the box, I went :o when I saw the stickers, then saw the demo CD saying "Please share this Live 5 Demo CD with a friend". That's when I went "nooooooooooooooo...."

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:07 am

Evoution-XS controller bundled with Live 2.0. I still use them both. :D
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:41 am

D K wrote:i got sick of having to deal with other musicians to be able
to create and perform music.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, oh shit, boy, I sure know that one!!!!!!!

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:48 am

Live is just georgeous.........it's a shame that it's starting to get "ahead" of itself.

What blew me away/blows me away is that with true ease, I can get things done.

On my pc, I can build/mix/etc a nice piece from scratch without any wierd "how do I do that?" crap.

Unfortunatly in the case of live, the macintel will be a while b4 the plugs are available......etc.......but shit.......I'm having fun with the new setup

minimal

Post by minimal » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:33 am

a friend of mine brought a cracked version of live 2.1 in the studio, tried it and enjoyed immediately and after two months live 3 was out and I bought it and and very satisfied with live now.

Shane 54

Post by Shane 54 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:56 am

Machinesworking wrote: and though I had a stripped down free version of 3 from some stupid BT remix contest, I hadn't really gotten into it.
I actually tried the thing out for that BT competition (it was one of the conditions to deliver the result in a Live file) and I simply fell in love with the program, bought it, switched and never looked back ever since...

Cheerio

Shane

njh

Post by njh » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:17 am

i read a review for live v 2 in future music. at the time i was looking for a sequencer that would let me build song structures using loops wile keeping everything in time with eachother. nothing seemed to beat live so i chose it.

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:18 pm

saw sasha using it :lol:

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:37 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
"You sound like a broken mp3"

30 minutes..... go!! :lol:
Steven Stotch wrote:It just... it started as some curiosity
on the Internet. I would chat with other
(computer nerds) in the chat rooms and...
Well the things they would talk about,
Linda, I, I don't know why I found it
exciting. I just did, and it, and it
grew from there and it spun out of control,
and- eh, ugh, DAMN YOU, INTERNET!
So this morning I was preparing to come to work and post on this forum and I asked my own goddamn (fiance / girlfriend) who coined the famous phrase "DAMN YOU, INTERNET!" and she was like "Butter's dad?! Get a life! Your coffee is getting cold."
Ableton | Elektron

Music

brainray

Post by brainray » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:17 pm

After 20 years of sequencing I feel that Live today is the tool of choice. New paradigms, very musical. When I open Logic sometimes I wonder how I could work with it for so long.
Sony Vaio A215M PentiumM 1.6 GHz 1GB __ Athlon 64, Asus A8N, 2GB Corsair
Focusrite Saffire, UAD-1, Logic Control

smutek

Post by smutek » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:49 pm

Well, I started in 2000 with a set of technics and eventually decided I would like to give a go at making my own tunes. I bought a copy of reason in 2002 and either at the propellerheads board or reason station someone mentioned this software.

I clicked the link to check it out, this was early 2003. there was an interview with richie hawtin and he was pumping live up, talking about how great it was for live performance and a bunch of other stuff that I didn't really understand.

I was interested in getting into live performance as opposed to djing, and I have always been a fan of hawtins so in March 2003, without consulting my wife I just went ahead and ordered a copy.

I bought version 1.5 (still have the old green box and ugly cd) with a free upgrade to version 2. Three years later, version 5, and I still have no idea what the hell I am doing.