Pro Tools and Live - Ableton gonna help ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Pro Tools and Live - Ableton gonna help ?

Post by guest » Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:16 pm

This question is for Ableton!

When are we going to be able to rewire Live into Protools and get any kind of decent performance? Live and PT were sold together as a working solution however there is an obvious problem.

Help Ableton!! Give me / us an update!

Direct I/O

Post by guest » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:44 pm

I would settle for a working version of Direct I/O in OSX. Core Audio is not a solution if you are using a 002 such as I am. The latency is terrible and cannot be used in a professional situation.

Direct I/O crashes my Mac faster than anything and Core Audio has too much latency.

Live is the best piece of software out there. Please don't leave us Digidesign users out to dry...

Pablo Honey

Post by Pablo Honey » Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:25 pm

for real I'm ranting about this in every forum

ABLETON WE NEED THESE THINGS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1)BETTER SUPPORT FOR CORE AUDIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2) THE ABILITY TO DISENGAGED UNNECESSARY I/O'S
3) THE ABITILTY TO CHANGE BUFFER SETTINGS

I can't use Live in OSX! Too much latency and CPU strain. I'm jamming in OS9! I couldn't be happier in OS9 :D !!! The performance ROCKS!!! But OSX BLOWS!!!! So what's the deal here guys, can we expect a solution sometime soon? Live is the only app that's keeping OS9 on my machine:(
I want to leave OS9 behind me.:(
PowerMac G4 1.2Ghz
Digi002
OSX10.3.4
Live3.0.2
Protools6.4
Reason2.5

I keep the wolf from the door......

Pablo Honey

Post by Pablo Honey » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:23 pm

Come on now......

Someone at Ableton has to have some info for us?! Is a solution coming or not?! Why can't I have the same functionality in OS9 as I do OSX! You guy have to find something better than 22ms of unavoidable latency and way to disable these our uneeded I/O's

Sombody? Anybody?
PowerMac G4 1.2Ghz
Digi002
OSX10.3.4
Live3.0.2
Protools6.4
Reason2.5

jho

Post by jho » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:01 pm

ABLETON - PLEASE RESPOND !!!

Everyone with this problem - please keep the heat on the issue and keep this topic hot so it gets resolved!

Pablo Honey

Post by Pablo Honey » Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:25 am

THANK YOU JHO!!!!!!!

Seriously this is getting really frustrating :evil: :twisted: :?: :!:

All I need is the abiltiy to de-activate uneeded I/O's on my 001 and changer buffer settings. JUST LIKE I DO IN OS9!!!!!
I just don't get it? OSX should work as good if not better than OS9, right? but us coreaudio users are in this limbo were Ableton has done just enough to get Live and CoreAudio to jive , but not enough for us to use it professionally or for performing. I have to use Live in OS9 for those things. What's going on????????????????????????
PowerMac G4 1.2Ghz
Digi002
OSX10.3.4
Live3.0.2
Protools6.4
Reason2.5

jho

Post by jho » Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:42 pm

I got some responses to my emails to support. While I appreciate their responses, they haven't proved helpful thus far. Most of this stuff is novice advise that I tried first.

-------------

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for the mail.

The first thing I would suggest is using Direct I/O in Live to access the Digi 002 rack. The Direct I/O drivers seem to perform better than the Core Audio drivers. This should help. Also, disabling unused inputs and outputs on the Digi 002 should help with performance. The Inputs and Outputs may be available in the Live Preferences Audio tab. If not, please consult the documentation for your 002 on how to do this.

When running Live with Pro Tools, you may want to try setting the DAE buffers to a higher amount to get better performance. You may also want to check that you System Energy Saver Preferences are set to best performance. The audio engine is handled by Pro Tools when Live is running as ReWire Slave, so any Pro Tools optimizations suggested by Digidesign should help performance as well.

Hopefully some of this helps.

Best,

------------

and another

---------------

Hi,

Pro Tools does not use Core Audio to run its audio hardware. Core Audio drivers are for other programs to run via Digidesign hardware. Live supports the Direct I/O drivers. If you go to the Live Preferences Audio tab and select Direct I/O as the Device Type you can disable inputs and outputs on the Digi 002r. If you really do not have Direct I/O as an option you should reinstall Pro Tools, as this is the only way to install the Direct I/O drivers.

Hopefully this helpful.

---------------------

another

-------------

Hi Jeff,

The ReWire performance is most likely due to the fact that you are running two programs at the same time. I have been testing it on the newest 1.25 GHz powerbook and it is because Pro Tools and Live both use a lot of CPU. It can run great with one or the other but of course I can not get nearly as much performance from the programs when they are running at the same time. The best you can do is what I did, reduce track counts, effects, increase the buffers and follow the other suggestions I have seen on the Digidesign website.

You can route your sound modules into Live By choosing In/Out View from the View menu in Live. After this select "Live In" as the "In Type" and choose the In Channel that your devices is patched to. Then enable the Arm Record Switches for the tracks.

Best,

----------------------

Well thus far none of this has helped. Anyone else having any luck?

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:18 am

JHO.....for starters its not cool to post emails that were not meant for public broadcast. Not cool at all to do that, and is simply an ignorant action you took.

Pablo and JHO. You both know damn well that all apps in OSX are sluggish. This is no fault of Ableton Live.

Stop your moaning and deal with it. I use OSX and I can get on just fine.

OSX=Sluggish

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:27 am

os x isn't sluggish

but running two applications, one rewired into another really affects performance

nz

not about being sluggish

Post by nz » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:43 pm

I don't think that Pablo is actually talking about anything being sluggish in OSX (which things do run a bit slower, I agree). He is talking about the latency for Core Audio. This has nothing to do with a "snappy" performance or redraws of the screen.

jho

Post by jho » Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:15 am

Anonymous wrote:JHO.....for starters its not cool to post emails that were not meant for public broadcast. Stop your moaning and deal with it.
Well "guest".... for starters, you don't control the internet or the rules here so deal with that. I was actually trying to be helpful, posting tech support info as given to me via email, and it was meant to help those that it could, as I indicated. Notice there were no names or email addresses given out and for that matter, it wasn't top secret or personal information. So back off, ok?

--------------

Now,

For those that are searching for an answer and want to utilize this forum for positive and helpful purposes:

I found that the Direct I/O suggestion that I 'unabashedly' shared with you in a previous post was the best suggestion yet from Ableton support, at least when running Live 3 standalone thru the 002r in OSX. It does crash, especially when switching from core audio to direct i/o in the audio preferences, but if you launch it with it set to direct i/o from a previous session, it runs pretty well. You have full control of turning on/off the input/output of your 002 analog and Adat and spdif. You have full control of latency settings etc.

I am running it on one system via Adat into another PT HD4 system at the studio where I work and it's jammin!!

When running rewire thru PT, in OSX anyway, your are alot more limited in terms of track count, effects and performance. Either way running an external firewire for audio is the only way to fly for top performance.

Will post back any mo-betta findingz...

jho

nz

Post by nz » Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:37 pm

It does crash, especially when switching from core audio to direct i/o in the audio preferences, but if you launch it with it set to direct i/o from a previous session, it runs pretty well.
Hey, that might be a trick I could use to use Direct I/O and my 002r. I know that it is buggy and crashes occationally after switching to Direct I/O from Core Audio as well as the switch itself. I will try this, though, and see what happens.

Much appreciated!

nz

waves3

Post by waves3 » Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:31 am

Jho,
What computer are you using?
David

jho

Post by jho » Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:12 am

waves3 wrote:Jho,
What computer are you using?
David
I've got a G4 Powerbook 667 w/512K Ram...bought it a year ago July...OSX 10.2.8 currently...