Best reverb?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rbro

Best reverb?

Post by rbro » Fri May 05, 2006 3:50 pm

You guys rely on Live's built in reverb, or do you have a favorite plug-in?

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Fri May 05, 2006 3:59 pm

i dont like the live reverb, i think it sounds crap personally.
I usually use Glaceverb mostly, and a number of other freebies for short verbs.

snowtires

Post by snowtires » Fri May 05, 2006 4:03 pm

live's reverb kind of sucks. i use waves ir-l, it's not the greatest but it gets the job done. it's a huge cpu hog, though, although i guess that's par for the course for reverbs. can't wait until the pcie powercores come out

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Fri May 05, 2006 4:23 pm

I don't like Lives reverb at all, but it's probably built for performance so some sacrifices has to be made.

Currently my favorite is Arts Acoustic Reverb, it is just so sweet and lush and has an awesome tail, I'm fanatic about my reverb, all the other vsts I have tried I didnt like the tail when you realy push them.

I'm getting VSS3 for my Powercore next week because my projects are nearing the limit of my CPU, I heard it at a friends and it's very impressive, way nicer than anything vst based I have heard so far, but still Arts Acoustic is the best native I heard, it just brings me to close to my cpu limit since I use a couple for sends.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Fri May 05, 2006 9:28 pm

This thread over at KvR has a multi way reverb comparison going on:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=130895

(Beware, it is long. But it is funny, because people don't tell what reverb they are using for their examples until later in the thread)

I'm not too fond of Live's reverb either, but in the thread above some guy made an amazing patch for the live verb that was creamy, lush and smooth. It was one of the best contenders to Arts Acoustic. I could get even closer by taking his patch and putting it on a send with some low pass filtering.

So, it is not just what you have but how you use it...

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Fri May 05, 2006 9:43 pm

Aww audio files are 404ed :(

Michael-SW wrote:So, it is not just what you have but how you use it...
Oh yes definately, but it's not a comprehensive test just playing the same thing using a bunch of different reverbs, it depends a lot on the program material, play a mellow synth melody through a bunch of reverbs and one will sound 'best' then try something like a shaker or hihat and all of a sudden it's a totally different picture and all of a sudden the one that sounded great will show an ugly tail because of the different frequencies going though it, should be something like melody, pads, drums alone, then in a full mix etc.. to realy judge which one is better.
Last edited by ILTK on Fri May 05, 2006 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri May 05, 2006 10:01 pm

Michael-SW wrote:This thread over at KvR has a multi way reverb comparison going on:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=130895

(Beware, it is long. But it is funny, because people don't tell what reverb they are using for their examples until later in the thread)

I'm not too fond of Live's reverb either, but in the thread above some guy made an amazing patch for the live verb that was creamy, lush and smooth. It was one of the best contenders to Arts Acoustic. I could get even closer by taking his patch and putting it on a send with some low pass filtering.

So, it is not just what you have but how you use it...
so which page is the one with the Live reverb? TBH I can't be bothered reading 28 pages of KVR nonsense at this hour ;)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

blastique

Post by blastique » Fri May 05, 2006 10:21 pm

I personally love Ultrafunk Sonitus Reverb and Waves IR-L, but prefer Ultrafunk for it's lighter cpu load and coz I've used it since 2.0b. I'm very attached :)

But like Michael said, it is not just what you have but how you use it... But you can't expect magic from something like Sony's / Sonic Foundry's Bundled Reverb trackEq. The reflections algorhythm in that is audibly crud
:?
milehighsounds.com | blastique.com
Ableton Certified Trainer
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Fri May 05, 2006 10:32 pm

Unfortunately the original dry audio samples seems gone, but the task was to do a Vangelis style loong verb on an electric piano-ish simple melody.

The Live reverb example can be found here:

http://www.hornquist.se/jah-long_reverb.mp3

And the patch can be downloaded from here:

http://www.hornquist.se/jah-long_reverb.rar

(Note: I didn't do this, they were made by KvR poster jah1234)

This was obviously a very specific task, but my point was rather that you can actually get good sounds out of Live's reverb too if you know how to tweak it.

As I said above, you can get it to sound even better if you put the verb on a send and do some eq on the verb only.

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Sat May 06, 2006 12:04 am

Thanks!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat May 06, 2006 12:19 am

for decent sounding reverbs I use the free SIR
http://www.knufinke.de/sir/index_en.html

it has horrific CPU and latency, but sounds great to me with a lexicon or TC impulse loaded up. I only use it near the end of a mix, prior to that I use a stand-in reverb which is lighter on cpu.

krank

Post by krank » Sat May 06, 2006 8:07 am

Live's own reverb is pretty CPU intensive without sounding very convincing to me. I've asked several times here if someone can come up with more (better) presets for it - now seems like the time to do it again (I've given up trying to tweak it myself, seemed a waste of time - but I'm inexperienced in these matters). The one from the KVR thread is good but pretty single-purpose. Would be nice to hear Live's reverb work well on acoustic drums.
Last edited by krank on Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jesQuick

Post by jesQuick » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:30 am

ILTK wrote:
Currently my favorite is Arts Acoustic Reverb, it is just so sweet and lush and has an awesome tail, I'm fanatic about my reverb, all the other vsts I have tried I didnt like the tail when you realy push them.
Downloaded the demo... And you´re right... It sounds amazing... But I cant get it to work in Protools.(tried to write to Artsacoustic, but sadly no response yet) What is your experience with protools? Are you using that aswell!?

Regards

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:36 am

wave arts mutiverb

It has nice sounds...
it's easy on the cpu

It is a little bizzare to get used to.........but there is a 30day unresticted demo :) :) :) :) :)

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:40 am

Does Pro Tools support AU plugs? There is no RTAS version of Arts Acoustic and RTAS is (AFAIK?) the PT official plugin format.