for those that like Daft Punk, a special treat!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
COSM

Post by COSM » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:34 am

I would love to hear this but I am curious to know if this has thier approval also before I download, I would be so incredibly pissed off if someone recorded my liveset without my knowledge.

Danny Futuro

Post by Danny Futuro » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:20 am

COSM wrote:I would love to hear this but I am curious to know if this has thier approval also before I download, I would be so incredibly pissed off if someone recorded my liveset without my knowledge.
This really cant be considered pirated because no one is losing money as a result. Just as acts like Bad Boy Bill, Eddie Amador, etc. all have mixes circulating around, its good promo material. It isnt even high-quality, 128kbps is far from retailable quality.

So even if you do have this on your computer, you arent doing anyone a dis-service by doing so.

Enjoy it! Its just music, not a bootleg DVD from your local flea market.
Self-hating american.

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:25 am

I'm against pirating too but in some ways downloading this mix for free makes up for the money I spent on their last album

(j/k)

amigo

Post by amigo » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:35 pm

Great set. Thanks for sharing!

amigo

smutek

Post by smutek » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:45 pm

I believe it is ok to share live sets recorded from clubs or events. I'm no lawyer but that is my understanding. I have 7 gigs of live sets on my HD.

theque

Post by theque » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:51 pm

i think ok to listen, as you cant buy it and i havebeen waiting 10 years for them to come to australia and play. if they put out a cd or dvd i will buy it.

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:09 pm

Definately using Live.. lots of beat repeat business...
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

soulnsweat

Post by soulnsweat » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:41 am

Moral Qualms aside, this might have been the most impressive performance of my lifetime. I can't even think straight for the month or so since that night. I think they were using live as well. My only doubt was just how good it sounded, very few artifacts at all (except those that were obviously intentional). I always thought it would be the greatest thing ever to watch those two in the studio, but I'd settle for a half-hour tutorial of their Ableton settings.

Regardless, I wouldn't worry too much about having this one w/o DP's permission. I was standing right next to the console that night, it was their crew and family only back there; its my guess that they allowed someone to record it/ leak it. They all saw us crying, they knew we needed it.

Daft Life.,

e.

quandry

Post by quandry » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:25 am

Danny Futuro wrote: This really cant be considered pirated because no one is losing money as a result. Just as acts like Bad Boy Bill, Eddie Amador, etc. all have mixes circulating around, its good promo material. It isnt even high-quality, 128kbps is far from retailable quality.

So even if you do have this on your computer, you arent doing anyone a dis-service by doing so.

Enjoy it! Its just music, not a bootleg DVD from your local flea market.
uh, everything that is sold on itunes is 128 kbps--I'd say thats exactly retail quality (though those ass clowns at itunes should be posting 196 for effing $10 and album!!!)
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

ahlstrominfo

Post by ahlstrominfo » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:04 am

Have you guys read somewhere that they use Live?

I saw them live in 98 and also have listened to the Alive cd and they've been doing this thing from before Live existed.
My old signature was pretty stupid, so I changed it to this one.

drb

Post by drb » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:08 pm

smutek wrote:I believe it is ok to share live sets recorded from clubs or events. I'm no lawyer but that is my understanding. I have 7 gigs of live sets on my HD.
It's absolutely NOT legal to do so.

quandry

Post by quandry » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:33 pm

drb wrote:
smutek wrote:I believe it is ok to share live sets recorded from clubs or events. I'm no lawyer but that is my understanding. I have 7 gigs of live sets on my HD.
It's absolutely NOT legal to do so.
It is absolutely not "absolutely NOT legal"--it depends on the band/dj/artist. Some bands allow audience members to actually patch into the soundboard to record on their own equipment, some bands allow live tapers at their shows with stereo mics and DATs or laptops. Generally the tickets or the venue will let you know if recording is legal, and certainly many crappy illegal minidisc recordings exist that aren't worth listening to cause they sound like pooh. Sure there are lots of illegal recordings out there, but the soundboard ones I've heard usually fall into a few categories--the band unofficially lets it out to friends knowing that it will spread to fans, the band officially releases it for sale, the performance was on tv or radio and at that point is pretty much "free game", or (more often in foreign countries), an unscrupulous soundman records and distributes or sells the sbd recording. Anyhow, my feelings on soundboard recordings that make it out are that they are free game--if the group really didn't want it out there, they could make sure their soundman didn't let it out and/or record it.
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:11 pm

M. Bréqs wrote:Is this legally released by Daft Punk as a short term promo, or is it a pirated piece of material?

I'm not judging what others do, but I don't like to pirate music and I would like to know...
Are you serious? You don't extract livesets? Have you ever been to www.paxahau.com

I have a ROOM full of livesets. I also have a room full of music I purchased and could build a room full of music I have extracted from friends copies, or hell Limewire. It's file sharing and I haven't met too many artists in 2006 that have a real problem with it. I mean as long as your going to live shows and support live music... Do you DJ? If you use vinyl your supporting the artist. I guess a case could be made for dj's who strictly download tracks and Final Scratch all night.

But a live set is a live set. They are distributed all over the place.

Whatever. Even if you are against pirated music and a fan of Daft Punk then you would know what is a proper release and what isn't. No need to post that you are against sharing music just to let people know how pure-as-the-virgin snow you are. :roll:

bangaio

Post by bangaio » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:34 pm

There is no way this was using live. As has been said earlier, DP were doing this kind of set as far back as 95 when I saw them using drum machines, samplers, synths and a fuck off huge effects rack.

droppedbeat

Post by droppedbeat » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:04 pm

Anyone else not able to listen?