Does beta 6 mean no more 5?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
robin

Post by robin » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:50 pm

pearsonart.com wrote:I hope you're right. It would make sense.

The intel transition IS different than the move to the g3, g4 or g5. Each of those cpu's required updated software but nothing like the complete reworking we see now.
Yes the intel transition is more akin to the 68k->powerpc transition. It should be that once ISVs have their build in Apple's dev environment then builds for either architecture should be easy. Obviously the real world isn't quite that simple but it shouldn't be that far off.

There's no way they'd drop support at this stage.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:15 pm

Apple haven't sold a G3 computer for almost three years, yet MacOSX still runs on them because they're still in use... I don't think PPC support will be dropped anytime soon.

-Paws
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:04 pm

MrYellow wrote:"Paraplegic, inhuman liar"

-Ben
"I'm the humper, stop hitting me... walking the plank- swallowing dirt..."

forge

Post by forge » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:06 am

noisetonepause wrote:Apple haven't sold a G3 computer for almost three years, yet MacOSX still runs on them because they're still in use... I don't think PPC support will be dropped anytime soon.

-Paws
3 years? are you sure apple were still selling G3s in 2003?

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:36 am

forge wrote:
noisetonepause wrote:Apple haven't sold a G3 computer for almost three years, yet MacOSX still runs on them because they're still in use... I don't think PPC support will be dropped anytime soon.

-Paws
I think they stopped around then. My old 900 MHz G3 iBook is from early 2003, I think, but it was the last one before the G4s came out. The eMacs were G3 for a while after that, but noone ever bought eMacs.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

Ambioun - Techno Man

Post by Ambioun - Techno Man » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:54 am

noisetonepause wrote:
forge wrote:

-Paws
I think they stopped around then. My old 900 MHz G3 iBook is from early 2003, I think, but it was the last one before the G4s came out. The eMacs were G3 for a while after that, but noone ever bought eMacs.
No, eMacs were always G4. I have three right here on the floor.

dodgyedgy

Post by dodgyedgy » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:39 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have 6 sat in front of me at the college i work at...

They work. They do the job, but FOOK me are they heavy. I think thats the reason no-one stole them yet...

either that or everyone reads the mac mags and hasnt told me...

:lol:

brainray

Post by brainray » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:54 pm

pearsonart.com wrote:So the consensus so far is that 5.2 is stable and the last point release.

As a mac user, I don't plan to throw out my g3 and g4 machines. Almost certainly, version 6 (or some point release of 6) will drop support for non intel macs. That means 5.2 could be the last stop for all power pc machines.
Never. Ableton can't afford to produce an update for the like 10% of Intel Mac users. PPC compatibility will be there at least for v6 or longer.

Ray
Sony Vaio A215M PentiumM 1.6 GHz 1GB __ Athlon 64, Asus A8N, 2GB Corsair
Focusrite Saffire, UAD-1, Logic Control

pearsonart.com

Post by pearsonart.com » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:30 pm

Thanks for the word.

I'll almost certainly buy a used powerbook or ibook g4 before buying a new intel. They're proven, compatible with all my software and will be an excellent value as the prices drop.

I still wish Apple would have found a way to make a single core entry level notebook for, say 800 or so. That would be very tempting.

ColdPack

Post by ColdPack » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:36 pm

That's the concept behind the "Universal Binary", isn't it?

So Mac apps will run on both PPC and Intel. To develop exclusively for Intel Macs is dumb at best. Even Apple is making all of their software Universal.

Sure... down the road that'll change as PPC Macs start to disappear... but until then, you'll be seeing all Universal apps.

cp

supster

Post by supster » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:22 pm

pearsonart.com wrote:So the consensus so far is that 5.2 is stable
Crippled arrange view + bad audio glitching on way too many systems is not "stable"

actually:

DAW - cant really produce music at near full funtionality in arrange view, without 3 to 4x system requirements

Stage - cant perform live with horrible random noises, that nobody has really been able to track down a solid solution for succesfully in almost a year of trying

So: in both areas where the product was designed for, Live 5 totally fails for way too many people. Weve been "working around this" for a year
and the last point release.
Im sure it is, they gave up and went to vs 6 ... and we will pay again to get a working product

--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

robin

Post by robin » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:26 pm

5.2 rock solid for me performing live for two hours. Even recorded correctly (which 5.0.1 didn't do for me).