input, MOTU 828 MKII, mono vs. stereo

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
draff

input, MOTU 828 MKII, mono vs. stereo

Post by draff » Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:01 am

Hey everyone,
I am using Live 2.1.2, a MOTU 828 MKII and an iBook G3. My other stuff is irrelevant for the sake of this question.

I plug a mic into MIC 1, or an instrument into input 1. I select 'Live Input' in Live, then 'channel x/x' in the input dropdown in the track I want to record. I only get sound in one side, so I go to the input bus, click 'unlink', but it doesn't matter, the track still only gets sound in one side. The reason for this is that the track input dropdown does not let you select individual input channels, such as input 1 or input 2. It only lets you select them in pairs [input 1/2, input 3/4 etc.].

In the input bus, however, channels 13/14 are receiving a stereo signal, i.e. sound on both sides, no matter which input I'm using on the MOTU[MIC 1, input 1, etc]. This resolves the issue if I only want to record 1 input at a time. I just select channel 13/14 in the track dropdown, and record away. When I need to record more than one input at the same time, such as a Mic & a keyboard, I need them to go their seperate tracks. I can't do this without each being sent as a mono signal on a stereo track [meaning sound on only one side].

Any ideas as to the case, and a fix to this? Also, let me know if I need to explain this more thoroughly. Thanks!!
Derek

Beatworld

Post by Beatworld » Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:23 am

Hi Derek

I don't think I can answer your question but I have a question.

I don't have quite the same setup as you but it is similar G4 Mac/OS 9.2.2/MOTU 2408Mk II.

If you are recording with 1 MIC or 1 instrument input why do you want to record it to a stereo track in Live....???

I always record those mono type of tracks to mono/unlinked tracks in Live.

I believe that mono tracks use less cpu/resources than stereo and, more importantly, once a mono track, always a mono track.

I mean recording a 1 Mic or 1 instrument track to stereo is not going to make it a stereo track.

For that you must either record with 2 MICS or use a stereo out on an instrument or sampler or sound module or whatever.

With the 2408 I get some MOTU software called PCI-324 Console which is where I configure the number or input and output channels I want to use on the 2408.

Unless I have a special session going on where I am going to record more than 2 channels at once I always have the inputs configured to just channels 1 and 2, the minumum. This frees up cpu/resources.

Also Derek, do you use an external mixing desk when recording?

I use a Mackie 1202 and use the Alt 3/4 buss to send signals to the 2408.
If I am recording say a 1 MIC track I pan the channel on the Mackie I am recording into hard left and that goes to Output 1 on the MOTU which corresponds to Input 1 in Live.
Likewise, if I pan hard right that goes to Output 2 on the MOTU which is Input 2 on Live etc etc.

I hope this helps.

Murray

janklug

Post by janklug » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:52 pm

hi,

i cannot reproduce this behaviour in my setup (tiBook 867, motu828mkII, live3).
when i unlink the inputs, i can choose them individually as input; they appear as mono inputs, "pannable" to the left/right channel.
and produce mono tracks when recorded.

what did you route to your channels 13/14? the headphone mix?
(btw, i just got my 828; no big experience yet :wink: )

greetings,

jan

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:16 pm

i am also experiencing the one sided pan; mine signal only shows up on the left side, and can only be heard in the left ear piece of my headphones....
any fix for this? and what if i wanted to record more than one input at a time?

draff

Never mind, I'm an idiot.

Post by draff » Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:50 pm

Once I unlinked 1/2 in the bus, THEN I can selct just input 1 or input 2 in the individual tracks, and bring in a mono signal. Before, I was doing one or the other, and not in the right sequence.

I would try to select just input 1, but couldn't. Then I would unlink them in the bus, but I still got a left-sode-only signal, and I wan't thinking to then go back up to the track and try selecting input 1 only. Anyway, I've got it now.

Thanks,
Derek

janklug

Post by janklug » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:38 pm

well, don't exaggerate! :wink:
now that we talk about the 828mkII anyway, can you confirm some strangeness that i experienced on mine?

in the "in"-bus view, i see noise signal coming in my s/pdif inputs (11 & 12), that aren't connected to anything.

when listening to that, it's noise indeed.

is that a malfunction of my box, or something normal when not connecting to s/pdif? in other words, do you experience the same?

(btw, today only ONE of the two channels shows this behaviour..)

greetings,

jan

draff

signal noise

Post by draff » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:53 am

The closest thing I can relate to is if I have a keyboard plugged in to an analog input I get low level noise, when technically that should be silent except for the music. I haven't used the s/pdif connection yet, and I haven't noticed any noise on that channel.

Sorry!
Derek