The Lemur

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Allison Redhead

The Lemur

Post by Allison Redhead » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:00 pm

I am about 48 hours away from pitching for a Lemur.

Is there anyone who actually uses it live, or has tried to, who can comment on its utility for live DJ performance?

Just FYI- Trance is my genre.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:17 pm

:arrow:
Last edited by b0unce on Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:18 pm

i think a lemur is over-kill, if used for controlling ableton live just.

www.faderfox.com

ff4sale

Post by ff4sale » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:22 am

****OPINION ONLY****

i owned a lemur and I have a solid live performance schedule. it's is an amazingly innovative instrument by a very forward-thinking company - HOWEVER -
it is a bit overkill. it's a very "trendy" piece of gear right now and a lot of people want them, but I say save your shekels for the next big thing!

dubbyah

Post by dubbyah » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:28 am

why do you want a lemur if youre making trance?

Allison Redhead

Post by Allison Redhead » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:29 am

dubbyah wrote:why do you want a lemur if youre making trance?
Why not? Tell me.

stinky

Post by stinky » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:45 am

it's already been stated, "why not"... the look cool factor is definitely in play here, but it's not necessary..

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:52 am

***a guess & opinion***

the lemur supplies soooooooooo much more then dj'ing trance with ableton live demands.

seriously, overkill in a big way.....like buying cinema-screen sized HI-DEF plasma TV to read your horoscope on teletext once a week.

in my opinion...
of course, this is under the assumption you'll just be using it for djing with ableton live, djing trance for that matter....

seriously, a couple of fader foxes and some endless rotaries is all you need...
check out
www.faderfox.com
www.kenton.co.uk

and a midi interface from motu.

Seriously, I think that would be more useful (to me at least) for controlling live then the lemur, and dont get me wrong I've got a massive hard-on for the lemur....but only in conjunction with my aching desire to get cracking with maxMSPjitter, in which case I guess you build your creations around your interface which is what lemur is perfect for, in that world........using it for controlling live just seems like a huge waste of money to me

with the money you'd blow on the lemur, well theres fuckin lots of stuff you could buy instead, with djing trance in mind. You could buy a future retro revolution an elektron machinedrum and a faderfox, just about.....surely that would do more for your trance-act, then the lemur? and you wouldnt be sacrificing control either, in my opinion. not for your purposes...

Jackal and Hyde

Post by Jackal and Hyde » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:36 am

No way would I use a Lemur Live. . . The reasons are endless but I'd start out with - Overpriced, Over KILL, way to delicate for any serious roading, you've got to worry about a laptop getting screwed and now a Lemur... another thing some drunk ass is going to walk into the booth and spill beer on, those touch screens not only get trashed easy over time but are known to totally screw up once in a while i.e. - Fader jumping from 0 -100 at the wrong touch or for no reason blowing the entire club system making you look like an ass in front of a 1000 people. Touch screens are totally not trust worthy, they get dirty as hell especially in a club enviorment and grow minds of thier own at the worst possible times.

2p

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:45 am

man, get the frekkin lemur ok!

sorry to all the other posters, but i am one of those people who would pay for a ferarri over a toyota anyday (if i had the cash) and electronic music is meant to be fun and about cool toys and things which blink and make you drool over then in your sleep

go on, splurge, have fun .. get high and look at the blinking lights.

Ambioun - Techno Man

Post by Ambioun - Techno Man » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:47 am

Why all the hustle and bustle about she should not use it cause it is overkill cause she dj's "T R A N C E ?" Trance is not an "easy" genre and does take some amount of skill to pull of a "professional sounding" mix or production. If she wants a lemur, then just give her reason to ether buy it or not buy it, don't say she should not get it because trance isn't control involved enough.

I can find many ways to use that lemur making trance.
Last edited by Ambioun - Techno Man on Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Allison Redhead

Post by Allison Redhead » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:57 am

Ambioun - Techno Man wrote:Why all the hustle and bustle about he should not use it cause it is overkill cause he dj's "T R A N C E ?" Trance is not an "easy" genre and does take some amount of skill to pull of a "professional sounding" mix or production. If he wants a lemur, then just give him reason to ether buy it or not buy it, don't say he should not get it because trance isn't control involved enough.

I can find many ways to use that lemur making trance.
I'm a she.

I do some production as well, but it is a more recent thing. What I really like about the Lemur, having not even used one, is that I seem to be able to customize the entire interface. That's really appealing. If I were Sasha, I would make my own board, but I cannot so Lemur looks good.

As for overkill, if I was just DJing with it, sure, but I expect it will evolve as more than one arrow in my quivver.

What I am really looking for is people who've actually USED it live telling me what the limitations are.

Also, I don't care that it's expensive. I have committed a lot to my "hobby" and have no issue dropping money on good gear.

I've played with FaderFox, nice, but not enough for me. To me, it's not about triggering clips, it's about the ability to really perform live... to run fluid distortions in the two measures before the next clip triggers, to watch the crowd and respond. That's why I think the lemur is going to be worth the effort and money.

-Allison

Ambioun - Techno Man

Post by Ambioun - Techno Man » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:00 am

Sorry, I was not paying attention :-D

Well, I would reccoment the Lemur because it has the ability to make and change controllers to fit your needs. A hardware controller is set and cannot be changed easily.

So go for it!

Allison Redhead

Post by Allison Redhead » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:01 am

Ambioun - Techno Man wrote:Sorry, I was not paying attention :-D
Happens all the time.
Well, I would reccoment the Lemur because it has the ability to make and change controllers to fit your needs. A hardware controller is set and cannot be changed easily.

So go for it!

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:04 am

sweetjesus wrote:man, get the frekkin lemur ok!

sorry to all the other posters, but i am one of those people who would pay for a ferarri over a toyota anyday (if i had the cash) and electronic music is meant to be fun and about cool toys and things which blink and make you drool over then in your sleep

go on, splurge, have fun .. get high and look at the blinking lights.
heh, I agree with you 100% sweetJ, my point is she should take her ferrari to 'the circuit' and not for playing bumper cars. Or buy herself a fleet of pimped out bumper cars, perfect for playing bumper cars.

apologies for analogies

oh and ambiou, the point isnt that the lemur cant be used for djing trance, just that its a massive waste of resource in our (it seems) opinion. so while you can concoct ways of using it for djing trance with ableton live, well & good......well actually lets hear some of these methods, thats what alison wants to hear anyways. I'd love for someone to illustrate the extra possibilities made possible by the lemur for controlling abe live. I'm sure there must be a couple, I'd just like to know if its worth someone dropping 2.2k to do it. Remember, the purpose of this lemur is for controlling ableton live and djing trance...

not to mention the lemur has to take the midi route to control ableton live......2,200 euro to control ableton live via midi ? .......no f-in way, spend your dough on other toys instead
Last edited by b0unce on Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.