powerbook crashes when overheats.. how to keep PB cool ?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
dwills138

powerbook crashes when overheats.. how to keep PB cool ?

Post by dwills138 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:59 pm

hey guys,

i'm getting super hard crashes one my PB gets hot, really hot. til then it's rocking just fine. i mean it gets so hot you could literally cook an egg on the surface near the power A/C input. really sucks.

how are you guys keeping your PB's cool ? any special mont or external fans that could help this out. ?

thanks.
specs: macbook pro, OS10.4.7, 2.2ghz, 2gig ram. Live 6.0.10

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:26 am

I've had this happen. I always raise the back of my PB about an inch on a couple of blocks of foam. If the venue is REALLY hot, I flip the qwerty keyboard open.

There are a few solutions that cool laptops. google "coolpad". things that raise your lappie and have small USB-powered fans in it.

cheers,
p
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

machinedelmorte

Post by machinedelmorte » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:13 am

It's a problem that I have been hearing for a while now. There are so many forums on this that it is rediculus. I am running a PC laptop and have no problems.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:43 am

machinedelmorte wrote:It's a problem that I have been hearing for a while now. There are so many forums on this that it is rediculus. I am running a PC laptop and have no problems.
Good for you :roll:

dwills138

Post by dwills138 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:06 am

what PC laptop is the best to get right now ? i'm out of the PC loop.. but could make sense to get one just as my live machine.

this plus waiting all year for my plug-ind to port over seems really depressing !!

thanks guys.
specs: macbook pro, OS10.4.7, 2.2ghz, 2gig ram. Live 6.0.10

machinedelmorte

Post by machinedelmorte » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:10 am

I suggest the biggest and latest. The more horse power (memory, harddrive, processor) the better.

iskandar

Post by iskandar » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:00 am

you could get one of these http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA248U im not sure if it works with mac tho.

Asus makes a good laptop, ive never had any problems with their products

technatural

my PB

Post by technatural » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:01 pm

My Powerbook never crashes :) like 95 % of them

how many pc's crash.. my experience says 3 out of 5

zappen

Post by zappen » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:09 pm

You experiences as mac user doesn't count much imho about pc,
my home pc server is up and working fine since: 1m 2d 17h 14m 10s
:twisted:
my pc laptop never crashes too as your pb

if you havn't understood yet, in most of the cases the crashes on pc and mac are usually caused by third party drivers/application's faults or bad hardware architecture

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:12 pm

sure, but you have to admit that you end up fussing with drivers etc. a whole lot more often on pcs.

macs are simply easier to set up and mantain for casual users.
And i'm not just a "mac guy". I've used pc's since before they stole mac's gui idea and unfortunately still have to deal with them. Got 2 in my house right now. Wish i didn't.

anyway, to the original poster, are you sure your battery is ok? A lot of pb batteries were recalled at one point in time.

but yeah, anything that lets air flow under and around the pb will help with heat, I have mine sitting on a couple of 2x4s in my studio and it helps keep the temputure down.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

EDX50

Post by EDX50 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:11 pm

About 7-8 weeks ago my Toshiba laptop was overheating and shutting down without warning. When i tried to troubleshoot I wasn't surprised to find my warrenty had expired 3 days before. I was ready to throw the darn thing out. :evil:

Anyway I got a lot of help at:

http://community.compuserve.com/n/pfx/f ... =ws-laptop

I saw some Apple links there as well so maybe you can search there

I downloaded a very detailed set of directions with pictures that showed me how to open up my laptop and reach the fan and power supply.

In my case i found lots of Dust Bunnies which i blew out with compressed air. Since then, the computer has run fine. No extra heat or unexpected shutdowns. You could also pay someone to do this if you're uncomfortable doing this yourself.

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:33 am

Check out this article about overheating machines... this does happen across all platforms so no need for a usual war..

http://www.macfixit.com/
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

CDJQ

Give it a little help ....

Post by CDJQ » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:10 pm

I have a Powerbook G4 12" and when I first purchased it I noticed that it ran abit hot, as did the sound card beneath it. My solution was to build a case where a fan (I purchased it from radio shack) blows over most of the bottom of the computer and the top of the soundcard. Since then I haven't noticed any problems whatsoever. On Fridays the computer runs for 11 hours straight while I am working.... and since this fixit I have had no problems even when the DJ booth gets a little warm....

Hope that helps...

Brett
Brett@DJBrettBrisbois.Com
Studio Computer: 3 Ghz PC, 1 Gb Ram
Laptop: Powerbook 12" G4 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 Gb Ram

wilxon

Re: my PB

Post by wilxon » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:06 am

technatural wrote:My Powerbook never crashes :) like 95 % of them

how many pc's crash.. my experience says 3 out of 5
The problem with pc's is they need a lot of maitenance, keep you hard drive optimised do dick check etc etc, and there are a lot out there that cant handle programs like live 5.

Then you got thge person who really knows nothing about them and messes with the settings.
"i didnt know i had a proram called systray, i know ill close that on - SHIT MY COMPUTER HAS CRASHED"

not quite the same with mac's is it.

I beleive that PC's and macs will be the same soon, i will always buy the biggest and best when i come to upgrade, mac may be an option if its the right option, but it aint at the moment.

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:21 am

I use a podium pad, you can get them in most apple stores (even though i got mine from pc world because i use a fujitsu)

They are really good for letting the air get underneath the laptop, they swivel, and they help stop stage vibration when performing.