New X-Session Midi CTLR from EVOLUTION!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DJADD

New X-Session Midi CTLR from EVOLUTION!

Post by DJADD » Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:55 am

OK, maybe this is a bump... but if not,
http://www.evolution.co.uk
Take a look at the X-Session, it has a cross-fader!

Why couldn't they have had this available when I got my UC-16?
Still cool!

:D

Re: New X-Session Midi CTLR from EVOLUTION!

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:17 pm

DJADD wrote:OK, maybe this is a bump... but if not,

Still cool!

I've been waiting for somebody to implement a crossfader on a USB controller. It's about damn time! :lol:

Using the data slider on my oxygen 8 as a crossfader, while it worked, was like dry humping.

Good job to evo to come out with this unit first. I'm sure in 6 months, we'll see an entire line of products sporting crossfaders. It's a natural progression.

Re: New X-Session Midi CTLR from EVOLUTION!

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:27 pm

Anonymous wrote:
DJADD wrote:OK, maybe this is a bump... but if not,

Still cool!

I've been waiting for somebody to implement a crossfader on a USB controller. It's about damn time! :lol:

Using the data slider on my oxygen 8 as a crossfader, while it worked, was like dry humping.

Good job to evo to come out with this unit first. I'm sure in 6 months, we'll see an entire line of products sporting crossfaders. It's a natural progression.
actually, now looking at the picture, the placement of the crossfader right above the knobs is highly unfortunate. luckily in tracktor you can reverse the Midi function, so I guess DJs would do that as a workaround. How the hell are you gonna crab sratch with those knobs in the way. They should have made it closer to a DJ mixer. Man, that's a huge oversight.

DJADD

X-Session X-Fader location

Post by DJADD » Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:09 pm

I suppose it depends on how you mount it. I could still use it, I do wonder how long the crossfader would last, and how responsive it would be. I use a slider on a Niche Automation Station controller right now, and it's pretty good, but sometimes if you move it too fast, the app doesn't respond, and you're left with the slider off from what's on the screen.

They are saving money by using an existing design. Perhaps if it was designed like a standard DJ mixer, with the crossfader in the center bottom, and then 16 60mm sliders with adjacent buttons above that, and then 24 knobs above those, with 1 midi in/2 midi out, 1 midi thru, usb, memory banks for custom programming, etc.

... oh yeah, all that for under $200, maybe ??? :?

ethios4

evolution...

Post by ethios4 » Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:13 am

i have Evolution's UC-33 controller. It's pretty good, but one thing that is annoying about it--> Evolution's "anti-jitter" "feature" on the knobs and sliders. If you push a slider or turn a knob real fast, it takes 100 ms or so for the MIDI CC info to catch up, resulting in a slightly "lazy" response. I read a post, by someone who actually got a response on this from Evolution...they said the slow response was a side effect of the "anti-jitter feature" on the knobs/sliders. I would be wary of the crossfader having a similarly slow response. Also, Evolution's products always seem flimsy to me. I've only had my UC-33 a month, and it's doing great, but my old mk249c did not hold up well on the road at all...

Re: evolution...

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:00 pm

ethios4 wrote:i have Evolution's UC-33 controller. It's pretty good, but one thing that is annoying about it--> Evolution's "anti-jitter" "feature" on the knobs and sliders. If you push a slider or turn a knob real fast, it takes 100 ms or so for the MIDI CC info to catch up, resulting in a slightly "lazy" response. I read a post, by someone who actually got a response on this from Evolution...they said the slow response was a side effect of the "anti-jitter feature" on the knobs/sliders. I would be wary of the crossfader having a similarly slow response. Also, Evolution's products always seem flimsy to me. I've only had my UC-33 a month, and it's doing great, but my old mk249c did not hold up well on the road at all...
the build quality of that crossfader seems suspect. it looks totally flimsy, but it this thing retails for under $200, it wouldn't be such a bad deal. for that price, you could pickup a replacement without cringing too much. i wonder how long they warranty their products.

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:09 pm

Hmmm. Doesn't look very sturdy plus the crap response time of Evolution controllers would make me suspect the crossfaders usefulness.

stew

Post by stew » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:27 am

What response time problems do you have? I own an Evolution UC-16 and never experienced problems in that regard, I'm very happy with it. Still, I think I'm going to get the UC-17, now that it has a MIDI input. If anyone in Germany wants to buy a mint condition UC-16, contact me ;)

raapie

looking great!

Post by raapie » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:01 pm

and cheap!
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

Re: looking great!

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:57 pm

raapie wrote:Image

and cheap!
what's the price?

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:32 pm

stew wrote:What response time problems do you have? I own an Evolution UC-16 and never experienced problems in that regard, I'm very happy with it.
Try twisting the knobs fast when assigned to fx parameters. The response lags whereas other controllers I use work fine when doing the same thing.

raapie

129 euro when ordering it at Ableton's e-shop

Post by raapie » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:31 pm

but if the parameters don't respond quickly enough that's not funny. so I think we all need to check it out first before we buy.
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

stew

Post by stew » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:06 pm

Anonymous wrote:Try twisting the knobs fast when assigned to fx parameters. The response lags whereas other controllers I use work fine when doing the same thing.
Mac or Windows? Could maybe be just a driver issue.
I wrote a BeOS driver for my UC-16 and didn't notice any lag.

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:15 pm

stew wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Try twisting the knobs fast when assigned to fx parameters. The response lags whereas other controllers I use work fine when doing the same thing.
Mac or Windows? Could maybe be just a driver issue.
I wrote a BeOS driver for my UC-16 and didn't notice any lag.
woah BeOS. i thought nobody used that anymore. talk about so much wasted potential.