Anyone use the M-audio Keystation 49e?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
quadrant6

Anyone use the M-audio Keystation 49e?

Post by quadrant6 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:24 am

Does it do a reasonable job? are the keys ok? interact well with Live?

I'm thinking about getting a basic midi keyboard for use with Live.

My choice is:

M-audio keystation 49e (I can get one now 2nd hand)
Korg k49 (have to wait nearly a month for local stock)

stinky

Post by stinky » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:27 am

and buying off the internet is not an option? It'll be cheaper anyways. I doubt you're anywhere in the world where shipping will take longer than 2 weeks from purchase date...

fdmusic

Post by fdmusic » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:35 am

I've got one.. It's basic alright, but it works fine for me. I'm no keyboard player but I like the feel of it. I would buy it again. Hope that helps.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:37 am

I have a K49, Keys have a really nice feel, but thats about it, the pads make good buttons, i use them to navigate the session view in mackie mode. Ive tried the M-audio keystation 49e, not a bad controller, probably get one really cheap 2nd hand, i dont think it has any knobs or sliders though.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:50 am

That's what I have........it's gotta be a decent bang for the buck.

Frankly, I just don't think there is a consensus keycontroller out there, so for the money, it's hard to beat.

njh

Post by njh » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:30 am

i also own one of these and honestly it is junk.
the keys are floppy & mod wheel feels cheap.
basically no matter how low of latency you are using it will always seem like you are playing out of time.
for almost the same amount of money you can buy a emu xboard 49, wich feels much more like a real synth.

Lovin Teris

Post by Lovin Teris » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:13 pm

Surely it's junk, but it's cheap junk. It will probably make the beginner happy (as it did with me), but some day you will want something better (as I do now). It works, that's all I can say.

The keys have a decent feel to them, but sound terrible due to their plasticky, non-weighted nature. Play with headphones and you won'n notice. :wink:
Listen to Lovin Teris at Soundclick!

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:08 am

as opposed to the very expensive remote sl I just shipped back which had MUCH noisier keys.......fuck, it was like listening to a woodpecker! And the sensitivity wasn't what it was cracked up to be, and a key broke, and the automap is garbage right now, and it was 5 TIMES the price!

I am so much happier with my "junk" keystation than I ever could be with that piece of "junk" novation.

Again, I would like someone to show me a rock-solid controller that is worth all that extra cash. I keep trying them, they keep sucking wind!

I already tried the emu, it's not bad, but it's not "about the same price", it's almost double. I took that one back because the stupid editor was a piece of crap......the keys felt fairly nice though.........

Lovin Teris

Post by Lovin Teris » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:24 pm

Have you tried the Axiom? Seems to get good reviews for the keys, at least in Sound on Sound.

I'm looking to replace the 49e for something with pads and knobs, don't care much for faders.
Listen to Lovin Teris at Soundclick!

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:53 pm

The 49e can be had for as little as $59, you can't beat that!

If you wanna pay a bit more, go for the Novation Remote LE with the XY Pad action!

:wink:
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.