osX AND live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hihihi

osX AND live

Post by hihihi » Mon Jun 10, 2002 7:31 am

HELLO.

DOES anyone here own ANY audio interface that works properly and reliably with mac osX?
i have tried several usb interfaces, and all suck.
i need something soon.
thx!

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Mon Jun 10, 2002 12:12 pm

I just tried Live on a PB with OSX and the internal audio device and performance just sucked. I can't help feeling musicians will have to wait for quite some more time before using X efficiently...

wedge

motu driver soon

Post by wedge » Mon Jun 10, 2002 4:08 pm

JUST GOT AN ANSWER BY MOTU OS X DRIVER FOR THE 828 SOON :)

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:52 pm

So, good news at least for Motu and Delta owners (Delta have had OSX drivers available for months)

NOthing in sight for ANY other audio hardware, what a shame.

f

SongCarver

Another option

Post by SongCarver » Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:57 pm

I have a TASCAM US428 which has drivers for X which are PERFECT.

It gives me 4 in, 2 out, lots of faders and knobs and 2 midi in and 2 midi out.

The smaller version is also X native.

Great box. Latency on my 550 Tibook is set to 1 ms with no drop outs.

It does not have multiple channels out, but otherwise is amazing, value and for the quality of the drivers.

By the way, the guy who wrote OMS now works for Apple and the guy who wrote SuperCollider now works for Apple.

There is now some serious audio and midi talent working on the X case

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:07 pm

That's great news, I have heard of Super Collider now being a free program, but didn't know that the guy is working for Apple now and can therefore afford to make it free....

How is your laptop configured to run so great? Any tweaks? tried a NEW 667 today and got very bad performance on Live.

FORMAT

joshcarter

thanks for the tip

Post by joshcarter » Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:20 pm

Thanks for the Tascam US428/224 tip. I have a PowerBook G4/550, too, and I was thinking about getting the US224. Now I'll definitely keep it high on my list.

-Josh

songcarverr

Post by songcarverr » Thu Jun 13, 2002 1:24 am

performance is not too hot on the powerbook 550. Audio never drops out, but the screen updates reallly slow down once you add tracks. 10.2 should help when it offloads the gui to the gpu.

I have 512 MB ram, that might help. The drivers for the US428 are very good, that helps.

Separate partition for audio...

But the 'book has less cache than the prior 500 model. I'm looking into that.

And no G4 altivec code in LIVE doesn't help - A faster g3 will do bettter.

Yes, supercollider is now FREE and coming soon to OS X!

Thank you ableton for supporting this great OS so early on, please pursue G4 altivec code.

tc

Post by tc » Thu Jun 13, 2002 7:13 pm

the tascam us428 w/ a pbG4 500 mhz, 512mb and osx runs live like a dream.

THX-1138

osX AND live

Post by THX-1138 » Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:17 pm

now what can u aceive successfully using your tascam? Can you send midi CC's with it and have live recognize the midi controller messages or just use the start stop buttons and the volume sliders?

On stage i run a powerbook 667(osX) with live and it runs like NOTHING i've ever ran b4...

1ms latency and never, Never, NEVER have i had a glitch,stutter, or crash. I control live via my mpc2000 and would like to see more midi implementation in this software.

micabeza

songcarververr

achieve

Post by songcarververr » Tue Jun 18, 2002 12:06 am

THX-1138,

I can achieve a lot with a '428

I have all 9 faders, endless knobs x 5, all the stop and start and locate buttons do whatever I want. (multiply that by four banks)

Muting and soloing as well.

It intergrates really smoothly with live.

Get yourself a copy of MIDI patchbay from http://pete.yandell.com/software/

Then you can merge midi into live.

...and you can use the '428s two MIDI inputs as well, eg a few keyboards for triggering loops. (You could have some of the 428's buttons on do this as well)

joshcarter

I would say the that aside from the only stereo out (like the 428) the 228 is almost the perfect in-a-box solution... all usb powered too!

I will get one i think as well, and use it for small performances... I am curious to know if OS X would let me plug both in at the same time...

Dear ableton,

Lots more midi please, and altivec

Love

SC