chaining ableton live sets?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

chaining ableton live sets?

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:38 pm

got a dillemma here.

ive just done 10 Live sets (in session mode, not arranged) but in my excitement i dont know how to chain them all together for a live gig. I cannot use the A -> B crossover feature because there are too many clips in each set that i did. and in order to do that, i have to physically merge all the clips of all songs into one session and that would be confusing. is there any way to chain them, other than copping out and play a CD in between loading songs? help!

Brian

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:21 pm

haha you've hit the same problem that i had in the past. i couldn't find any other way. I merged all of my different files into a monolithic project. a huge pain in the A$$. I wish ableton would come out with some workaround for this. I split my live set into different files because it kept me more organized and gave me greater flexibility in choosing inserts and channel settings.

mazingerph

Post by mazingerph » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:33 pm

hi, am the guy who started this post..just forgot to log in before.

anyway, i experimented with this: a live set (in session mode) for the first song, but the second song is a huge long clip (with correct markers) already loaded with the 1st song. so when im ready to do the 2nd song, i just thin out the clips of the first song and gradually move the fader up of the 2nd song (which is still in sync with the first song bec. of the markers) the bad part is, i couldnt tweak any more clips for the 2nd song bec. its mixed already.

then for the third song, another copy of live will be running, with the same setup as above..and so on. it's very taxing for the CPU, i'm hitting 50-60%, but it still running! will try it out later.

Anonymous wrote:haha you've hit the same problem that i had in the past. i couldn't find any other way. I merged all of my different files into a monolithic project. a huge pain in the A$$. I wish ableton would come out with some workaround for this. I split my live set into different files because it kept me more organized and gave me greater flexibility in choosing inserts and channel settings.

jOop()

Post by jOop() » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:26 am

It's not what I feel you wish to hear, but you might consider doing a portion (an extended portion) of it LIVE, then swapping "sets". To mask the transition, use the fine art of diverting attention by illusion (tape recorded noise modulated by effex faded in, a granulated vox bit.. ambience really).

Not ideal, but breaks up the monotony of a continuous driving set, plus allows you more cpu/freedom to explore other "sets" on your drive.

btw - are you just playing back pre-recorded sessions as arrangements, post production edited arrangements or something altogether different and actually live (i.e. what is the LIVE component in your set, aside from the program)? I do quite a bit in all three modes, so I wouldn't hold a memorex set against you, I'm solely curious.

mazingerph

Post by mazingerph » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:43 am

the saved sets that i have contains clips that make up the track, so the 1st track let's say holds the main loop, 2nd track, basslines, 3rd track, synth arps, etc. essentially i 'build' the song manually as i see fit.

anyway i experimented on this: i put the 2nd song (a huge clip that's mixed already, with correct warp markers) in another track, but this time in the arrange view. i placed it already in a 4 or 8 bar loop and it will be running already as i run the firstsong, but only muted or with the fader down. in order to do this, the Go-arrange button must be pressed prior to running the whole thing. so the effect would be i'm runningthe 1st set, with the 2nd song running in a loop underneath that's muted. and when im ready to go to the next song, i gradually bring up the fader for the 2nd song, and thin out the 1st song. it's a bit confusing but it works. :)

jOop() wrote:It's not what I feel you wish to hear, but you might consider doing a portion (an extended portion) of it LIVE, then swapping "sets". To mask the transition, use the fine art of diverting attention by illusion (tape recorded noise modulated by effex faded in, a granulated vox bit.. ambience really).

Not ideal, but breaks up the monotony of a continuous driving set, plus allows you more cpu/freedom to explore other "sets" on your drive.

btw - are you just playing back pre-recorded sessions as arrangements, post production edited arrangements or something altogether different and actually live (i.e. what is the LIVE component in your set, aside from the program)? I do quite a bit in all three modes, so I wouldn't hold a memorex set against you, I'm solely curious.

jamief

Post by jamief » Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:44 am

8O 8) :lol:
I have a soloution that has been working since 1.5 8) :lol:

There is a a couple of shortfalls using this method.

A. it does not copy your insert FX or send fx settings. Although you can copy them over if you need to by switching between songs or save their settings. ( there will be other limitations paticular to your style and situations whilst using live )

ANYWAY the ANSWER is . !!!!!!!!!!

Dnnaaaaaaaaaaaaa :twisted:

1. open your first song - highlight the clips you want to port over to your new consolodated live set - press " apple c " or if using a pc " control c "
2. open your consoldated live set and then paste the clips in from your previous song by pressing " apple V or if using a pc " control v".

You can now switch betweeen different songs and collect data and information copying and a pasting them between different Live sets.

Recomendations for the a lateral thinking awards and a possible job writing manuals for ableton to   tel: +49 (0)30 - 288 763 151
support@ableton.com. Please !

:roll: :wink:

mazingerph

Post by mazingerph » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:55 am

thanks very much! i'll keep this method in mind. this is good just in case i can't match the beats manually.
jamief wrote:8O 8) :lol:
I have a soloution that has been working since 1.5 8) :lol:

1. open your first song - highlight the clips you want to port over to your new consolodated live set - press " apple c " or if using a pc " control c "
2. open your consoldated live set and then paste the clips in from your previous song by pressing " apple V or if using a pc " control v".

You can now switch betweeen different songs and collect data and information copying and a pasting them between different Live sets.

:roll: :wink:

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:11 pm

it'd be cool if we could open up multiple copies of live and rewire them into each other. no need for copying then. sort of like an ableton audio network. haha.

copy and pasting different files together works, but stinks. i ended up have to create 32 or so different channels to accomodate all of my settings. that works, too, but is unwieldy. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :!: :!: :!: :!:

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:56 pm

The easiest thing would be some sort of transition feature - ie. you could tell the app to keep one track running, just a loop or a long file or what have you, while the next session loads up. Doesn't sound impossible, does it?

-Paws
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

mazingerph

Post by mazingerph » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:02 pm

Sadly Rewire doesnt allow 2 sets of ableton Live programs to sync together. if im wrong please correct me, bec i already tried it.

however i downloaded MIDI yoke, and i used this to sync 2 ableton Live programs by assigning the MIDI in's and out's of each program to MIDI Yoke's ports. in the first try, it was syncing alrght but the sound was really choppy , each time i switched between the 2 programs, the sound would stutter (not very far from a BT stutter edit, only out of sync :))

then upon advice from a forum poster in livepa.org (thanks synthy) i increased the output audio latencies, and decreased latency for the MIDI in for the 2nd Live program, now it works , but it still has hiccups if there are too many clips running at the same time. i also noticed the 2nd program had a fluctuating tempo of +/-2 bpm.

Anonymous wrote:it'd be cool if we could open up multiple copies of live and rewire them into each other. no need for copying then. sort of like an ableton audio network. haha.

copy and pasting different files together works, but stinks. i ended up have to create 32 or so different channels to accomodate all of my settings. that works, too, but is unwieldy. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :!: :!: :!: :!:

mazingerph

Post by mazingerph » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:07 pm

to add to just what i posted:

Using MIDI yoke somewhat solves the problem of syncing 2 instances of Ableton Live. However, you cannot load a third song into this setup with out having the audio stop completely for both programs.

well after trying various setup possibilities and suggestions from others here, i've come up 2 possible scenarios:

1. Combine all clips of all songs into on huge set. yes it will take time, but once it's in, everything is set. Assign a basic set of fx (reverb, filter, delay) to the 2 sends. and physically bring in ur favorite plug ins during the set. also, each cluster of clips (a song) can be assigned to a MIDI channel and corresponding scenes (like a clip combination of verse, chorus, bridge, etc) can be assigned to a key. if you have an Ozone keyboard controller, u can have assign each key to a scene.

OR

2. Running 2 Ableton Live instances without sync. manually bring in clips like a DJ, adjusting BPM as needed. when finished, u can still load other songs in the 1st Live program without interrupting the other playback of the 2nd.

i still have other combinations in mind like a set with clusters of clips in the session window and complete full-length mixes in the arrangement window. Since both windows can play sound independently, what i can do is have a loop of the mixed track already playing in background but with the faders down. when im finished with jamming with the first song (which is the first cluster) , i can 'thin' out the arrangement, and gradually bring up the volume the looping part of the full-length clip in the arrangement window, then when im ready, i'll jsut disable the loop fucntion and play back the whole track as it is. alternately, i can also go back to the session window and chose the next cluster of clips for the next song. fade down the current full-length clip and bring in the clips one by one for the next song.

sorry for the long post. i still actually have to try it to see if it works! but thanks for all the suggestions!

brian

jamief

Post by jamief » Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:56 pm

keep it simple

try my suggestion itll bring a smile :D

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:30 pm

jamief wrote:keep it simple

try my suggestion itll bring a smile :D
true dat - sometimes less is more