Why do you hate EDM? "House, Trance, Techno"

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djsentinel

Why do you hate EDM? "House, Trance, Techno"

Post by djsentinel » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:26 pm

This topic is here to explore why people here at this forum don't like EDM, trance as the most hated. And please give legit reasons. No "its too repetitive or I don't like it."

This is sure to be fun :-D

Pce,
DJS
Last edited by djsentinel on Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:40 pm

You hear about a party from a friend, who heard about it from some kid at his school.
"Hey, I'm being dragged to this party. I guess it's supposed to be about free love and techno music. I don't know, but it sounds like fun and I'm bored. Come with us."

So you agree to go. You get there, and it takes a bit to get into... But eventually you're enjoying yourself, dancing in the dark, moving your body in such ways that would not be possible in regular situations. Someone offers you drugs, you may partake, but for the most part it's just a fun time.

You attend these parties regularly, and eventually develop a taste for music. Your favorite kind is (insert genre here), and you end up collecting a lot of CDs. Listening to the CDs more and more often, you begin to pick out patterns and how rhythms work, and also begin to notice when DJs are slipping in their mix. "I want to DJ" you say, as you parooze PSSL for a pair of decks and a mixer.

A few years go by and you have had a number of gigs since you started. A bit longer goes by, and you begin to loathe that which influenced you. It's not enough. It's fucking boring and reptitive. The lyrics mean nothing, and you realized that often, it's the synthetic musical rambles of drug-addled brains that make the best tracks!

This crisis forces you directly to stop listening to modern popular EDM completely, because you fail to see the artistic merit behind someone producing such lame, repetitive music. You immediately pick back up on "normal" music like rock and rap, to try to find some better artistry.

Which leaves you here, wondering why you hate EDM so much. Too repetitive? Not very artistic? Too commercial? Too self-indulgent?

All of the above?

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:47 pm

Why would people 'hate' any music form? just don't listen to it if you don't find it pleasing.

Once you move out of your parents basement other things will seem more important.

djsentinel

Post by djsentinel » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:54 pm

the_planet wrote:You hear about a party from a friend, who heard about it from some kid at his school.
"Hey, I'm being dragged to this party. I guess it's supposed to be about free love and techno music. I don't know, but it sounds like fun and I'm bored. Come with us."

So you agree to go. You get there, and it takes a bit to get into... But eventually you're enjoying yourself, dancing in the dark, moving your body in such ways that would not be possible in regular situations. Someone offers you drugs, you may partake, but for the most part it's just a fun time.

You attend these parties regularly, and eventually develop a taste for music. Your favorite kind is (insert genre here), and you end up collecting a lot of CDs. Listening to the CDs more and more often, you begin to pick out patterns and how rhythms work, and also begin to notice when DJs are slipping in their mix. "I want to DJ" you say, as you parooze PSSL for a pair of decks and a mixer.

A few years go by and you have had a number of gigs since you started. A bit longer goes by, and you begin to loathe that which influenced you. It's not enough. It's fucking boring and reptitive. The lyrics mean nothing, and you realized that often, it's the synthetic musical rambles of drug-addled brains that make the best tracks!

This crisis forces you directly to stop listening to modern popular EDM completely, because you fail to see the artistic merit behind someone producing such lame, repetitive music. You immediately pick back up on "normal" music like rock and rap, to try to find some better artistry.

Which leaves you here, wondering why you hate EDM so much. Too repetitive? Not very artistic? Too commercial? Too self-indulgent?

All of the above?
Woah woah there buddy ;-). I see your points but maybe you took it a little too far out of the music and into the culture. I'm asking, discounting the DJing and rave culture, why one would choose not to listen to the likes of Above and Beyond, Ferry Corsten, Alphazone, ect...

Forget about the illigal drug rave parties and give reasons why you don't like the music ;-)

I appreciate your input tho :-D,
DJS

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:14 pm

Are we just discovering that people have different tatses?

I could ask a similar question of you: Why do so many "EDM" (which doesn't really mean what it sounds like it means, i mean come one, people dance to hip hop or electro or dance hall and all of those things are electronic.) fans dismiss most other forms of electronic music?

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

martin808

Post by martin808 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:15 pm

this is a stupid thread.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:16 pm

Because most dance music hasn't progressed much in the last 5 years. People are just putting out "sounds like" tracks, and not exploring e-music more :)

Then again I'm jaded. :)

forge

Post by forge » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:33 pm

I'm actually finding electronic music at the moment is the best it's ever been

the sounds around now are in a diffent league to the past because technology has taken some amazing jumps over the last 5 years and people are just starting to catch up and use it to it's potential

I'm hearing stuff that's inspiring me more than anything has in years - probably since the early-mid 90s

just spend a few days on beatport alone and you'll scour some amazing music

I just bought 7 tracks and every one of them is wicked.

njh

Post by njh » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:37 pm

i dont hate trance music. there is alot of it that is very corny sounding but there is corny in every genra of music.
idm is a genra that has alot of corny sounding ( and very repeatative ) music, but no one admits it. .
the problem with trance is when you speak of it people imagine sampes of rnb singers along with snare build ups and orchestra hits. trance does not have to be like this. you dont need a 808 or 909 4/4 kick in every song either.

djsentinel

Post by djsentinel » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:50 pm

Well I didn't mean to discount electro or hip-hop... just that people get mad at me when I do include them "people I know don't consider HipHop to be EDM :-|"

Well thanks for your input guys. I was just wondering your thoughts and though it was somthing other than taste :-D

Pce,
DJsentinel

martin808

Post by martin808 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:54 pm

it is more to do with just musical taste. it's to do with the clubs, scene, culture...but you said to leave that aside.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:17 pm

Because it all sounds the same, the same drum line could be used on every song, and it wouldn't change the song at all. THe percussion in general is geared so strictly towards letting even the most drunken, stoned, whitest kid stumble around a dance floor, and feel like they have moves, that it actually starts to become painful to listen to. Four on the floor for more than an hour straight, with the big variation being a 2 second drop out drives me batty.
People can dance to hip hop, IDM (some), rock, etc., but that's not what happens, people are trained to only dance to four on the floor kick and snare.

oonze oonze oonze oonze
oonze oonze oonze oonze
oonze oonze oonze oonze
oonze oonze oonze oonze

It's not creative music IMO. Sure a few people come up with some great tracks, but in general it's as arid as pop music.

How's that for a rant? :)

Voodu

Post by Voodu » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:23 pm

Yes and hip hop is sooo creative. Persoanlly I'd rather listen to a 4/4 staright kickdrum than listen to a night full of no melody whatsoever being played at 98 bpm.

Everyone has their own tastes. I personally like tribal house. Alot of people don't like "edm" because it's very formula oriented and quantized so heavily. Alot of times it lacks "human feel".

Just my .02 Uhh, What, What!!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:38 pm

Voodu wrote:Yes and hip hop is sooo creative.
Never said hip hop was creative. Hip Hop does tend to have more interesting things happening with the kick, not always, but more often than trance or other EDM styles...

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:42 pm

I'm actually finding electronic music at the moment is the best it's ever been

the sounds around now are in a diffent league to the past because technology has taken some amazing jumps over the last 5 years and people are just starting to catch up and use it to it's potential

I'm hearing stuff that's inspiring me more than anything has in years - probably since the early-mid 90s

just spend a few days on beatport alone and you'll scour some amazing music

I just bought 7 tracks and every one of them is wicked.

I agree. I think the music coming out now is very good. Also, the increasing numbers of labels which have converted to digital formats rather than just vinyl... it has opened the doors for many new, young and otherwise unknown producers. I buy more music now than ever, and I buy more music from people I've never heard of.

The original queston is why people hate EDM. Well, I don't. EDM is pretty much all I listen to.

You're asking why people hate trance? Well, I don't know the answer. Like any other style of music, I like some trance... but dislike a lot of it. My musical tastes have changed over the years. In the early 1990s, trance was a little different than it is today. When someone asks me to give an example of trance music, the first producer I think of is Oliver Lieb. Tracks like Fragile, and Train of Thought instantly come to my mind. I think Oliver Lieb is a musical genius, and many of his productions from the 1990s define the trance genre in my mind.

Back in my early partying days, all I wanted to hear was trance. I wanted hard, fast music, with energy and melody. I didn't care for house music at all. But now my tastes have shifted away from trance and more into progressive. When I think of trance now, Tiesto is who comes to mind. I can't stand the trance sound that Tiesto plays. It's so cheesy, corny, and over-the-top epic sounding. It's too fast, and there's too much fanfare. I like melodies, and emotion in music.... but only just a bit. There is such a fine line between having emotion and going too far and being cheesy. Progressive, at least for me, seems to be a genre which straddles this line. Tracks have some melody, but not where it goes over-the-top.
M-Tech D900T laptop, 17" WSXGA+ wide-screen, Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT (600 series) 2 MB cache, 2048 RAM (Dual Channel DDR2 PC4200 533 MHz), Dual hard drives: 80 gig x 2 = 160 gig SATA 5400 rpm (RAID 0 config)
Korg Zero 8 mixer/soundcard/MIDI