ableton's unfair copy protection system

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
darthstephen

Post by darthstephen » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:32 pm

snowtires wrote:
darthstephen wrote:55 views in less than a half hour. i'd say people are interested in this topic. maybe they are the ha ha ha i don't care that ableton treats me like a criminal-types. or maybe they have actually had problems too, but are too afraid to stray from the flock.
actually, it's probably the 'geez, this guy needs to calm down' people. ten unlocks in less than a year? what the hell are you doing to your computer that you had to reinstall the os ten times?

do i have to answer that? this is my point.
privacy, man. i shouldn't have to discuss that with you or ableton. and with this system, i do HAVE TO explain this to ableton. which i try to do as vaguely as possible to protect my privacy. which is how i got that concerned email from their support. which i found pretty insulting. even though the tone was pleasent, i just don't need to describe what i do with my computer to ableton.

it's all really simple, actually. i test beta software, i've beta tested vista and screwed my system up. i've tried many distros of linux and messed up my system...i shouldn't say messed up, but i simply prefer to just reinstall windows after trying out software like that. once i tried a registry cleaner at the recomendation of a web design software company to fix a problem with their software, only to mess alot of other stuff. pop in the windows disc and an hour or so later, i'm up and running. pretty simple. obviously i'm backing up personal data, so it's pretty easy to get going again. and now that i've spent 70 bucks on ghost. i'll reinstall and use that from now on.
i can appriciate ableton wanting to protect their product and survive in s pretty weird market, but i really don't think i should have been forced to pay that money to norton, just so i could feel more secure with a product i already spent a pretty penny on. that being said, i guess there are companis that are worse, harder to deal with. but i'd rather use more positive examples and find a system that works for everybody. after all, hackers are in business partially because of situations like this.

Hatchets McGee

Post by Hatchets McGee » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:35 pm

lol...this guy stinks of radeon/keyser/mercyplease

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:37 pm

darthstephen wrote:
TheAnimal wrote:
j0shu@ wrote:

Apart from that, darthstephen, from the way you're writing on this forum one can easily see that you're not the type of guy who attracts other people to treat him nicely.
The proof is right below...
perhaps macs are better suited to this copy protection. i can assure you though that after having worked in a mac repair center for 8 months, no one gets more pissed than a mac customer being charged 350 bucks for a dvd replacement in there g4 tower.
No, I'd say the guy that has deal with you over at Ableton HQ probably gets more pissed...

[/quote]

or a customer who bought a loud and overheating g5 imac for thousands, only to find out even apple realized pretty quickly their g5s suck.

[/quote]

really, G5's suck? Thanks for enlightening me. I'm sure your opinions really will carry a lot of merit on this forum...

[/quote]

why would i pay twice as much for a computer with an intel processor?

[/quote]

Twice as much? Maybe twice as much as an emachine...

[/quote]

so, maybe i'll have an easier time with ableton and their copy protection?

[/quote]

Probably not. YOUR the one making this tough...

[/quote]

apple is number 2 on my list of crap companies with horrible support, overpriced parts, and a wealth of meaningless ad campaigns convincing people to buy an overpriced, poorly manufactured product.

[/quote]

Your digging yourself deeper here Stephen. I have known quite a few Mac users and I can't think of one of us who have ever had any real problems we couldn't fix on our own. I'd imagine if you owned a Mac and I knew you, you would be the first person to CREATE a problem within the OS...

[/quote]

seriously, folks. i live in a pretty small town...probably 50,000 people total and the authorized mac repair guy in town is like a friggin' millionarre. but, i digress (as if i hadn't already)

[/quote]

I'd imagine he would be the poorest SOB. HOW MANY PEOPLE THAT USE MACS CAN"T FIGURE OUT HOW TO TROUBLESHOOT THEMSELVES? THE FUCKING MACHINES ARE THE EASIEST TO USE OF ANY CPU!!!!

[/quote]

by the way, i'm not selling ableton licences for those who are skeptical. i don't think ableton thinks that either or they wouldn't keep allowing me to unlock. i believe they can tell that i unlock on a single computer. i would just like them to automate that knowledge and make it more convenient for people to authorize their product, if they are in the nuttso reinstall crazy people catagory like myself...[/quote]

Your making this way to hard for yourself. Bottom line.
Last edited by thelike5 on Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darthstephen

Post by darthstephen » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:39 pm

snowtires wrote:
darthstephen wrote:
seriously. i've had the same laptop for two years and i reinstalled the os... once, a month after i got it. don't blame the abes because you're an idiot.
you just presume i'm an idiot because i work differently from you. somethings just don't change. it's unfortunate it's just human nature to be prejudice.

let's hang him! he reinstalls his os once a month!!!

anti-banausic

Post by anti-banausic » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:41 pm

Don't feed the troll.

Period.
Macbook c2d 2.0, 2G RAM, 160G HD 5400 RPM, OSX(10.5.5), XP Home, LIVE6, BCR 2000, UC33e, Yamaha P-200, Logic Studio, KRK V6 II

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:41 pm

Hatchets McGee wrote:lol...this guy stinks of radeon/keyser/mercyplease
Nah, I seriously think this guy's issues are for real. He really does reinstall his OS every week!

darthstephen

Post by darthstephen » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:43 pm

anti-banausic wrote:Don't feed the troll.

Period.
i don't really consider myself being a troll...being a paying customer and having a valid concern/complaint.

i'm confused about why i would be treated that way. is copy protection not a reasonable topic of discussion? can i not share my opinions. why am i a troll. simply because you don't agree with me???

Hatchets McGee

Post by Hatchets McGee » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:45 pm

darthstephen wrote:i test beta software, i've beta tested vista and screwed my system up. i've tried many distros of linux and messed up my system..
all the more reason you should be cloning, you loon.

and you expect ableton to dance to your tune ? lol...I've no sympathy for you. Especially since this thread is the same as the one you started over 5 months ago, it seems you are dense as two short planks - most people learn from their mistakes.
Last edited by Hatchets McGee on Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:47 pm

Loony Loony Loony...

Loon!

:P

Hatchets McGee

Post by Hatchets McGee » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:49 pm

hoho!

dont cajole the loon!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:52 pm

Angstrom wrote:I think the problems lie not with Ableton but with your machine, or at least - very close to your machine.

You are a prime candidate for conversion to cult of mac, please I think you should buy a mac, they will make you welcome, they have a lot of experience with PC users like you.

I look forward to your first "APPLE ROX !!!1!11!!" post
Please, for the love of god, do not do this to us!
What manner of slight transgression of civil discourse has led to such a cold, calculated and violent act of aggression? What did some lowly mac user do to you to turn your soul upon the tribe with such bloodthirsty venom and spite?
I plead with you, I beg, Please do not send us any more!
Our once proud army is filled with this rabble, and while I sympathize with your plight, realize that your land stretches for hundreds of miles whilst ours is a but a small Island. You have the resources to contain them, we simply do not.

darthstephen

Post by darthstephen » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:53 pm

Hatchets McGee wrote:
darthstephen wrote:i test beta software, i've beta tested vista and screwed my system up. i've tried many distros of linux and messed up my system..
all the more reason you should be cloning, you loon.

and you expect ableton to dance to your tune ? lol...I've no sympathy for you. Especially since this thread is the same as the one you started over 5 months ago, it seems you are dense as two short planks - most people learn from their mistakes.
i do not expect ableton to dance to my tune. i expect to be ble to discuss this issue without being degraded for having an opinion. i don't really feel like i've made any mistakes here, man. i just have a negative opinion of challenge/response when it is not automated and convenient. i just don't think that's so hard to understand. for the third time, ableton doesn't have to change anything. it's just a complaint and something to think about, that's all...

snowtires

Post by snowtires » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:54 pm

so you beta test software that crashes your computer, more than once a month, and you DON'T consider yourself an idiot? after reinstall number two, i think a non-idiot person would say, 'ok, either i'm going to get a computer specifically for beta testing or just stop beta testing software.' or get hd clone software and an external hd. like i said, it's not the abe's fault you're an idiot.

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:54 pm

I have a good friend who is meticulous and suffers from OCD so bad that evry cable in his studio (he has a real studio unlike my bedroom job) has to be black. I had some brown colored monster patch cables that I was just going to give him and he just kinda laughed and I totally understood...

He is a total clean freak with his system (Mac) his car (Honda), and his home. His dvd collection is disturbingly accurate and broken up alphabeticaly, by director, by genre.

He also has issues with eating. I don't even want to get into those. All of his remotes have to be lined up and corners need to be straight across.

He DOSEN"T however need to reinstall his OS weekly. Even he knows that is FACKed up...

All of his quirks actually make him a pretty interesting person. He's a great friend.

All YOU have been doing is making yourself insane and creating your own problems and blaming others for your mistakes and ineptness. Please just sell Ableton Live and go have a play with Cakewalk or something...

forge

Post by forge » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:57 pm

TheAnimal wrote: "Wie man in den Wald hineinruft, so schallt es auch heraus." Unfortunately I have no idea if there is an english equivalent for that saying.
here's what babel fish had to say on the matter
babel fish wrote:As one in-calls into the forest, then it schallt also out