ableton's unfair copy protection system

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Blomblom

amen break

Post by Blomblom » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:00 pm

another challenge for the ableton people.

if you are so comfortable with your copy protection system,
why not post

a warning_ning_ning_ning_ning_ning_ing_ing_ng_ng_ng_g_g_g_g_

with complete details of the system,

your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your

hours of operation,
expiration of online unlocks,
and the possible problems
this might cause the

many customers who drop $500

on your product.

you should post all this right next to all the

* * * * ** wonderful * * * * * *

things ableton live does.

or do you feel like this would cost you customers?

i think it would.

i would have not bought this product with a warning like that.
i 've contacted my my state representitive about a required warning.

hell, hell, hell, hell, hell, hell,

if you can put warning stickers

o
n

a
r
t

, why not make it required to educate people about copy protection.

i want to start a campaign in my state because i believe in action and education and in not letting corporations manipulate customers.
i want to start a campaign in my state because i believe in action and education and in not letting corporations manipulate customers.

forge

Post by forge » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:03 pm

thelike5 wrote: He also has issues with eating. I don't even want to get into those. All of his remotes have to be lined up and corners need to be straight across.

He DOSEN"T however need to reinstall his OS weekly. Even he knows that is FACKed up...

All of his quirks actually make him a pretty interesting person. He's a great friend.
:lol: :lol:

forge

Post by forge » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:05 pm

sounds to me like you just look at alot of weird and freaky stuff on the net and either get flooded by spyware or are obsessively manic about making sure no-one finds out what you're looking at!

snowtires

Re: amen break

Post by snowtires » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:06 pm

Blomblom wrote:another challenge for the ableton people.

why not post

your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your your

hours of operation,
this might cause the

on your product.

i think it would.

o
n

a
r
t

what the hell? are you five?

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:36 pm

seeing as you are the only person with this problem, why would ableton change their policy for one single user,

with thousands of happy users..

the needs of the many overshadow the needs of 1

man what a stupid thread i can't believe i actually read all of this

i changed my CPU and my same unlock still worked.
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:55 pm

any thread that includes a nod to "wrath of khan" (needs of many outweigh the needs of the few) gets my vote. (i too checked this out b/c i couldn't imagine what problem someone was having with ableton's copy protection system.)

Spikee

Re: ableton's unfair copy protection system

Post by Spikee » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:14 pm

darthstephen wrote:i hate ableton's copy protection system. as a paying customer who has had downtime, nervousness, fustration, and anxiety over unlocking ableton on the same computer...the only computer i own several times in the last 7 or 8 months, i feel it is just to start a thread pertaining to distaste for a completely unfair copy protection system. i understand the need for copy protection and i even understand challenge/response systems. BUT...other companies such as cycling 74 and db audioware either give someone an unlock code for their specific computer which would not work on another computer or, at the very least, offer an automated or 24/7 system for unlocking a product and actually provide reasonable service for their paying customers. neither cycling 74 nor db audioware are big companies with more resources than ableton, and as far as i know their copy protection works very well. $500 for software and none of that goes to convenient and reliable unlock functions for paying customers. it's just ridiculous. why can't ableton do the right thing and stop inconveniencing customers. i mean, they're across the planet from me and are off nights, weekends, and holidays. it's just neglect that they have not come up with a better system. anyway what do you really all feel? i want to see this change just as much as i want bug fixes and new features.
They allow more unlocks, if you just e-mail them. They understand that computers need to be cleaned up from time to time (if if you're an XP user, formatted). I know because I'm on unlock #3 myself.

But hey, it's never enough to some people.

STRATEGY_510

Re: ableton's unfair copy protection system

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:18 pm

darthstephen wrote:i hate ableton's copy protection system. as a paying customer who has had downtime, nervousness, fustration, and anxiety over unlocking ableton on the same computer...the only computer i own several times in the last 7 or 8 months, i feel it is just to start a thread pertaining to distaste for a completely unfair copy protection system. i understand the need for copy protection and i even understand challenge/response systems. BUT...other companies such as cycling 74 and db audioware either give someone an unlock code for their specific computer which would not work on another computer or, at the very least, offer an automated or 24/7 system for unlocking a product and actually provide reasonable service for their paying customers. neither cycling 74 nor db audioware are big companies with more resources than ableton, and as far as i know their copy protection works very well. $500 for software and none of that goes to convenient and reliable unlock functions for paying customers. it's just ridiculous. why can't ableton do the right thing and stop inconveniencing customers. i mean, they're across the planet from me and are off nights, weekends, and holidays. it's just neglect that they have not come up with a better system. anyway what do you really all feel? i want to see this change just as much as i want bug fixes and new features.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

I installed Live originally on two machines (desktop & laptop) and reinstalled it on the laptop last week, all using the original reg they gave me when i bought it.

Did the jumping through hoops commence after you had already done several re-installs?

STRATEGY

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:52 pm

Darth,

I just read this whole thread, and it took me a long while to get through it. It's obvious you're upset. It's okay to be upset. Keep in mind at all times that the forum here is a bit silly at times, and you shouldn't take any of this seriously. The same people sticking you with pins on this thread will turn around and help you out down the road.

The email Dom sent you didn't sound like an interogation. He's just doing his job.

I hope you find a solution and your workflow with Live stays afloat.

Sam

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:56 pm

mike holiday wrote: the needs of the many overshadow the needs of 1

That's too funny

registration, someone's having problems

you get your computer id, unlock via the web and bam - it takes like 15 seconds

I've installed and reinstalled Live on several computers with ease

Curious?
Ableton | Elektron

Music

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:11 pm

wrong about the os re-install, on windows at least. new unlock is needed no matter what.
I beg to differ, this was not the case for me.

Though I can only cite it working one time (so far; knock on wood)

STRATEGY

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:35 pm

Said it before, I'll say it again...

Get a couple of these:

http://www.usb-ware.com/sata-removable-drive-value.htm

Voila, now you can play around with all the bug ridden crap you want on a seperate OS install on another hd, once you are done plop in your music production hd.

darthstephen

Post by darthstephen » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:31 pm

STRATEGY_510 wrote:
wrong about the os re-install, on windows at least. new unlock is needed no matter what.
I beg to differ, this was not the case for me.

Though I can only cite it working one time (so far; knock on wood)

STRATEGY
i think the only way this would work is if you had a restore disc and not an actual windows cd. the restore disc from dell or whatever would be an image of the os drive, so perhaps would keep the same installation id. but, i can assure you that if you wiped your drive and reinstalled windows from a microsoft disc, you would need a new unlock code. i really wouldn't be wasting my time defending my unpopular ideas if that wasn't the case.

swpspce

Post by swpspce » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:38 pm

what os do you use? because I save the unlock.cfg file after I have activaed Live. AND I note exactly where this file is stored within the os.
Then when I have to reinstall, I simply copy the unlock.cfg file to the location where it is needed and of I go.

Obviously this would only work for one specific machine.
Apple PowerBook 12" 1Ghz 512mb Ram...ReMOTE 25, Live 4 beta 4, Kontakt, Reaktor

D K

Re: amen break

Post by D K » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:39 pm

Blomblom wrote:another challenge for the ableton people.

why not post

hours of operation,
this might cause the

on your product.

i think it would.

o
n

a
r
t

put down the crack pipe, son. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
what a thread, i tried so hard not to post.... :roll: