ableton's unfair copy protection system

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hatchets McGee

Post by Hatchets McGee » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:27 pm

hehe, it was a good year for me =)

at least I dont blame ableton for my rubbish tracks

darthstephen

Post by darthstephen » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:28 pm

Hatchets McGee wrote:hehe, it was a good year for me =)

at least I dont blame ableton for my rubbish tracks
i don't have any rubbish tracks.

Hatchets McGee

Post by Hatchets McGee » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:30 pm

well that remains to be seen...

my point was that I dont blame ableton for my own shortcomings, be it bad music or in your case deep-rooted stupidity.

darthstephen

Post by darthstephen » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:32 pm

Hatchets McGee wrote:well that remains to be seen...

my point was that I dont blame ableton for my own shortcomings, be it bad music or in your case deep-rooted stupidity.
different is not stupid. you'd instantly be a better person if you just realized that. i'm not blaming ableton for anything. i think their copy protection could be better, that's what this discussion is about...not my deep-rooted stupidity. other than the protection, ableton is pretty good software and i enjoy it.

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:38 pm

darth, the numbers don't lie. everyone checking out this post that has weighed in thinks you're a wack job. so you pretty much be definition are a wack job. and you're not going to convince anyone otherwise -- your responses simply encourage people to pile on. but please keep it up, this thread is way entertaining (you've got a great harvie pekar (whatever his name was) type thing going, milk it).

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:42 pm

Heh, did this really drag on 8 pages?
I've always considered Ableton's copy protect as brilliant.
I cant go into it for obvious reasons. But there are a shitload of Live owners who know what i'm talking about :wink:

Seriously, whats the point in arguing with people who are professionaly trained to drag you into an endless and pointless discussion. Ford bounced around with a lot of different hats around here :lol:

Ableton has their policy and they're not going to change it because you want to do reinstalls.
Just take people's advice about backups and deal with it.
Then stop arguing overhere and move to the tips and tricks section.
There you will find a lot of stuff to take your mind of your next reinstall ;)

Cheers

-B

snowtires

Post by snowtires » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:54 pm

darthstephen wrote:it is more like every month or so.
dammit, where's that smiley banging its head on a wall emoticon when you need it? i can't believe i just said that. seriously though, dude, give it up. you're just digging yourself into a bigger hole.

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:26 pm

darthstephen wrote:different is not stupid.
That depends entirely on the actual difference. As a general observation, if someone insists that misusing something, anything at all, is just as sane and appropriate as using it the way intended -- and states that it's only a matter of "doing it differently" -- the difference quite often boils down to stupidity. Misuse can be an act of creativity, yes, but often it's merely a compulsive habit which doesn't seem to make sense to those who observe it.

I get that it's your right to install Windows once a month using the actual Microsoft install CD (oh boy), just because you feel the need to do it, for any reason imaginable. So, why the concept of "misuse", then? It should have dawned on you by now that there just has to be a more convenient way of doing the thing you're doing. Usually, if not always, people who have to do this for any reason whatsoever, install the system once and then save a partition image of the freshly installed environment.

I keep a partition image of a freshly tuned system handy myself, complete with a Live installation and the plugins I use. Except when actually buying a new computer, I haven't had to do a CD reinstall or an extra unlock in years. Still, as I stated in another thread a while ago, in case something seems to be wrong in such a way that it would probably take me more than few minutes to correct -- the time it takes to restore the 100% functioning and fresh system from the image -- I'll just restore from the image :wink:

So, while you have made your actual point a multitude of times, I think instead of coming up with all the "Ableton has no right to make me change the way I work, oh noes!" wallowing, the reasonable question you should have promptly asked is: "I have the need to reinstall Windows every month and, as you can imagine, it's very inconvenient at the moment. Is there something to make this easier?" You still might have gotten a few remarks about the need to do a reinstall so often, but it would have been nowhere near the feedback you are now gathering. You have to realize that your problems and the response you're stirring up are, for the most part anyway, completely self-induced.

Hatchets McGee

Post by Hatchets McGee » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:15 pm

not to mention he went through this shit over 5 months ago! he's accumulated 10 authorisation codes, he reckons he's got linux skills and beta tests software - how can one conclude he is anything BUT stupid for not cloning ?

swpspce

Post by swpspce » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:16 pm

darthstephen wrote:also, re-installing windows once a month is how i work and is not a problem
funny that you would complain about the inconveniance caused by ableton activation - what about having to phone Microsoft everytime you need to "activate windows XP". Seeing that you only get three online activations and from then on you have to phone them, provide them an installation id and then have someone read back to you a product key. Which you then input and activate online.

weird... :oops:
Apple PowerBook 12" 1Ghz 512mb Ram...ReMOTE 25, Live 4 beta 4, Kontakt, Reaktor

darthstephen

Post by darthstephen » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:39 pm

swpspce wrote:
darthstephen wrote:also, re-installing windows once a month is how i work and is not a problem
funny that you would complain about the inconveniance caused by ableton activation - what about having to phone Microsoft everytime you need to "activate windows XP". Seeing that you only get three online activations and from then on you have to phone them, provide them an installation id and then have someone read back to you a product key. Which you then input and activate online.

weird... :oops:
never had to phone microsoft for new activation. only mentioned the actual microsoft cd to point out the difference and possible reason some windows users seem to be able to use the same unlock file over and over. i'm pretty sick of this topic. you guys really are just plain mean spirited. i know my way around a computer, make decent music, am decent honest person and have a gripe with ableton about their system. it doesn't make me stupid. i didn't make an image sooner because i didn't own ghost. that doesn't make me stupid either. i'll save any further comments for the day ableton doesn't allow me to unlock. then they will be stealing from me, despite not wanting to be stolen from. it will be on them. i doubt that day will come, because i'm just doing my thing. nothing wrong or illegal, no-misuse here. save your comments for the next poor guy who doesn't belong on this forum.

forge

Post by forge » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:45 pm

Angstrom wrote:dear aletbon

I regularly set fire to my eyes as part of my working practice

after doing this with INDUSTRY STANDARD lighter fluid I find I can no longer see your program. WHAT are you going to DO ABOUT THIS !!!

I find any insinuation that I should change MY CHOSEN PRACTICE of setting fire to my eyes, well, it's un constitutional, wrong and bad.
It is my choice to set fire to my eyes and I have paid money for your program and now you make me unable to see it by your insistance on not making the interface work too good for people with charcoal for eyes.

which is my choice , so fix it

NOW
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:50 pm

it takes about an hour and a half for me to do the whole job. i guess one gets quick with anything after a few hundred times
i didn't make an image sooner because i didn't own ghost. that doesn't make me stupid either.
By all that is good and holy: yes it does.

supster

Post by supster » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:23 pm

forge wrote:
Angstrom wrote:dear aletbon

I regularly set fire to my eyes as part of my working practice

after doing this with INDUSTRY STANDARD lighter fluid I find I can no longer see your program. WHAT are you going to DO ABOUT THIS !!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

i only came in this thread because it was 8 pages long and i knew there had to be a laugh in here

thanks for not wasting my time :lol:

--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:50 pm

darthstephen wrote:
Hatchets McGee wrote:shouldnt you be somewhere else, learning how to use your computer ?
yeah...like downloading your tracks that sound like 1989.
don't hate on 1989, kiddo!
great music came out that year.

De La Soul - "3 Feet High & Rising"
The Cure - "Disintegration"
808 State - "Pacific State"
Public Enemy - "Fight The Power"
Dinosaur Jr. - cover of "Just Like Heaven"

just to name a few...