tiny XP

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
R.A.W.

Post by R.A.W. » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:25 pm

debu wrote:yeah midi wasn't a big deal adding files, it's nice to know it got sorted on the newer revisions, I'll have to look into those....
i'm not sure about rev04, it's more stripped again and doesn't really work in a network (which was bad for us, cause we use ipMIDI ;)).. i recommend rev03 only.

frahnque

Post by frahnque » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:46 pm

I don't know about you guys and girls - but I wouldn't trust my computer to some dodgy, from what it looks warezed, all-in-one solution install of Windows XP.
Someone earlier pointed in the direction of NLiteOS and I'd say go with that. I've been using it and I like the control I get over what is installed with my Windows and what is not installed.

Also, I'd use these terms like "Gamers use it, and they're like 'pushing their computer to the limit' so it has to be good" with caution.
There are several sites on the net promoting some modifications to the Windows registry (and other stuff) that actually can brake your installation and/or make it a lot less stable.

Also, on the deal with "the OS feels really snappy now" biznizz, Every time I reinstall my Windows it feels really snappy and my windows just fly across the screen. Im not saying you are experiencing some placebo effect, but just keep it in mind. Windows tends to kind of slow itself down over time (hence people keeping reinstalling and reinstalling).

It's just a friendly advice. Maybe this TinyXP is the beest thing in the world, but I'd rather trust my own installation that I prepared myself (through NLiteOS).

Also, one page that I find a good read is the XP Optimization Myths:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD ... timization
Live 8.1 Suite + M4L and C'74 MAX5
Macbook Air 13", 4 Gb Ram - Lion
Thinkpad W510 Core i7 720-QM, 8 Gb Ram - Win7 64-bit

Soundcloud-> http://soundcloud.com/frank-bolero

R.A.W.

Post by R.A.W. » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:32 pm

frahnque wrote:I don't know about you guys and girls - but I wouldn't trust my computer to some dodgy, from what it looks warezed, all-in-one solution install of Windows XP.
i spent 2 weeks tweaking tinyxp rev3 to my liking using nLite (adding regtweaks and unattended installs for several utilities). i found nothing suspicious.. it is only a stripped down xp cd, nothing more. and i inserted my personal xp key therefor i don't think it's illegal. i could have done all that using my own cd, but why should i reinvent the wheel? ;)

btw. the new tinyxp versions don't come as an iso, they come as config-files for nLite and readmes so everyone willing to invest time can do a stripped down xp installation with the own xp install cd.

frahnque

Post by frahnque » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:58 pm

R.A.W. wrote:btw. the new tinyxp versions don't come as an iso, they come as config-files for nLite and readmes so everyone willing to invest time can do a stripped down xp installation with the own xp install cd.
It'd be quite nice to see these config files, where can one get them (the config files as such cannot be illegal, can they)?
Live 8.1 Suite + M4L and C'74 MAX5
Macbook Air 13", 4 Gb Ram - Lion
Thinkpad W510 Core i7 720-QM, 8 Gb Ram - Win7 64-bit

Soundcloud-> http://soundcloud.com/frank-bolero

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:34 am

frahnque wrote: Also, one page that I find a good read is the XP Optimization Myths:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD ... timization
That was a good read, I always thought the IRQ Priority Tweak sounded to good to be true, tweak a registry value, hey your computer goes faster, yeah right! :idea:

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:00 pm

Why install a whole new copy of XP?

Just turn off the services and processes on your current install. Set it as
another hardware and user profile, and switch between full-featured and
optimised versions when you like.

Who cares if XP installs 2 gig in the windows folder, if you're not using it,
it's not using your CPU.

-Ben

stinky

Post by stinky » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:51 pm

Who cares if XP installs 2 gig in the windows folder, if you're not using it,
it's not using your CPU.
people who may not have 2 gigs to spare so easily (i.e. laptop, dualboots, etc.)

even

Post by even » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:31 pm

at the dude who said he was having some midi problems after installing tiny xp. can you please explain, what the problems were?

debu

Post by debu » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:13 pm

There was just no midi functioning.. I had to drag and drop files from my licensed windows disc, into the tiny xp install. It's been well over a year since I installed this on my DAW so I can't remember the exact file names..
If you're going to try this I suggest you make an image of your current install as a backup just in case of unforseen problems..

blastique

Post by blastique » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:03 pm

howdy

Does anybody know of which files exactly are needed to get midi functionable in Tiny XP? Is this necessary with rev04 nlite config version?

Finally, does Tiny XP come with Remote Desktop Client + Server ala Windows XP Professional?

milehighsounds.com | blastique.com
Ableton Certified Trainer
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique

stinky

Post by stinky » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:58 am

you're better off just using the default presets in nlite itself, creating your own copy... yes, it will take longer, and you may have to do it yourself, but at least you'll know what has to be done.. you can edit the presets yourself.. it doesn't take that long to do, and you'll have the power to redo it yourself later... nlite is easy as shit to use, it's the configuration part that takes time to understand... if you go through the default preset, you can customize it as you see fit, and the default preset adds the midi files itself (you can see it in the preset)... but, that's just my opinion.. adding the files just sounds like a kludge... just remember that if you're using tinyxp and you have other things that you need later besides midi, then you're stuck in that config, and will have to kludge it up even more...

this is my opinion. I think it's worth it to take the time, do the installs yourself however many times it takes until you get what 'you' need... I just find a precustomized version of xp just as constricting as xp itself. If you customize it yourself, and you know what you're missing, you can go back and change the presets, and the problems solved...

anyways, i don't know if these are all the files you'll need, but these are some:

Gm.dls : c:\windows\system32\drivers (general midi) (this should be the only one you need for 'midi audio support', but the rest will help... they all have to do with your MCI api.. i'm not even certain if that's all of them..)

midimap.dll : c:\windows\system32\drivers (midi mapping)
mciwave.dll : c:\windows\system32\drivers (MCI midi sequencer)
mciseq.dll : c:\windows\system32\drivers (MCI midi sequencer timer)
mcicda.dll : c:\windows\system32\drivers (MCI driver for cdaudio)
mciavi32.dll : c:\windows\system32\drivers (video for MCI driver)
mmdriver.inf: c:\windows\system32\drivers (multimedia kernel support)
mmsystem.dll : c:\windows\system32\drivers (system apis for multimedia)
mmutilse.dll : c:\windows\system32\drivers (multimedia controls utils)
mmdrv.dll : c:\windows\system32\drivers (multimedia driver)

Again, i don't know if they're all needed, or if that's all of them.. Also, i think you'll probably want to install directx anyways, and all of these files may be included with that installation. Again, i'm just assuming... i wouldn't do it this way, because it's a pain in the ass..

Anyways, the smartest way to go about creating your own 'tinyxp' is to use virtualization software (instead of wiping out your hd constantly). Install the custom os in a VM, and play with it to find out what you're missing.. reconfigure your nlite presets accordingly, reinstall to VM.. or, use a temp hd, and install to that as your testing ground..

SO, enough said.. i'm done for now.. good luck..

even

Post by even » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:29 am

thanks stinky. much obliged

edit. i thought i should copy the files you mentioned above from the win\sys32\drivers in my current xp installation, but i could only find the first one. gm.dls where do i get the rest from?

for me it's easier, and less time consuming, than the nlite way. plus i would probably have no idea what i would be doing

stinky

Post by stinky » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:51 pm

whatever works for you..

ikke

Post by ikke » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:28 pm

Does someone have an nlite preset for us ignorant fellas? With the correct services dis - and enabled and whatnot for our audio (non internet) system. I understand nada! :lol:
I have Nlite and Windows XP Pro SP1 on bootable cd. I have SP2 on my HD as an executable.
Any help would be appreciated! :D

stinky

Post by stinky » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:32 pm

nlite comes with 2 presets, safe and lite, that are both usable, but obviously to different degrees. SP2 can be streamlined in the xp.iso you create with nlite (as well as drivers, hotfixes, patches, etc)... Seriously, install the program.. read the faq, walk though some temporary settings, and you'll be surprised how much you'll understand just by looking at the interface.. It's not that complicated.