Wu Tang Clan

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kb420

Post by kb420 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:33 pm

Classic Hip Hop man!!! Dirty drums probably sampled with a SP 12 or an Akai S 950. 12 bit machines with samples straight off of some old dusty wax.

Boogie Down Productions
Public Enemy
Stetsasonic
Big Daddy Kane
Biz Markie
Brand Nubians
EPMD
Kid-n-Play
Scholly D
Spoonee G
Mc Shan
Trecherous 3
Z3 Mc's
Slick Rick
Doug E Fresh
MANTRONIX
T LA Rock
Salt n Peppa
UTFO
Grand Master Flash and The Furious Five
Cold Crush
The Funky Four + One
Afrika Bambaataa
Ultra Magnetic
A Tribe Called Quest
EST
De La Soul
Audio 2
Eric B and Rakim
Run Dmc
LL Cool J
Just Ice
Krown Rulers
Marley Marl
Mc Lyte
Tuff Crew

That's Hip Hop. I don't know what they play on the radio now.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:47 am

Machinesworking wrote:
LOFA wrote:
noisetonepause wrote:Yeah, it's a matter of taste and opinion. I always liked PE but I thought that a lot of their stuff was really weak. That and my first girlfriend's dad represented Flava Flav in his doemstic abuse trials and I have zero respect for him after hearing the stories.

I always had a hard time getting past NWA's name. Even when I was kid I felt that it was a sort of "cross-roads" sort of deal with their souls. Actually, I love hiphop, but only about 1%, like everything else.
I gave up on caring what sort of person a musician is a long time ago. not that you're guilty of this or anything, but the music and the person are separate entities I believe.
Some of my favorite musicians are junkies and abusers of women. Some of my least favorite are stand up people. :)
See that's it. I completely agree. Though I strongly feel that the RZA is a gent, ODB has got to be a worse influence than flava flav ever could be, yet I dig him. It makes no sense. I think I'm just biased on the whole east coast thing. Staten Island was my neighbor. RZA told it like it was. Told the same story I was living those days with his beats. The same fucking story. We all new it at the the time it was released. Damn. Love the RZA. Me and my irst bandmate TM used to switch back and forth defending Al Jorgesin and the RZA as the leader of all the great in production on the subway, during school hours-6 in the morning, between windsor terrace and LES. I Miss that kid.

Yeah. It's all subjective. I think Tupac was the dumbest occurence in all of hip-hop ever.

forge

Post by forge » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:07 am

leisuremuffin wrote:AHA!

36 chambers is also a great example of how great music does not require great mixing/production.

all of the mixes are horrible. But it's still an amazing record. What you write and record is always more important than the quality of the production.

.lm.
I dont know - I might agree on some kinds of music - but there have been tracks I've done that were completely pointless until they were mixed properly - sometimes you can get so absorbed in making a track that you miss wchich are the key sounds and mix them too low, or drown them out with drums or whatever - especially if you use headphones

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:36 am

LOFA wrote:ODB has got to be a worse influence than flava flav ever could be, yet I dig him. It makes no sense.

Me and my irst bandmate TM used to switch back and forth defending Al Jorgesin and the RZA as the leader of all the great in production on the subway, during school hours-6 in the morning, between windsor terrace and LES. I Miss that kid.

Yeah. It's all subjective. I think Tupac was the dumbest occurence in all of hip-hop ever.
That's it though Al Jourgesin is a great musician, and a shitty person, total heroin addict etc. Just like ODB with the cocaine, but in both cases, I would much rather spend an evening with them than any member of Creed.
Say what you will about Tupac, but Hit Em Up is a great song! even if it was his death sentence.

plain

Post by plain » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:58 am

wu tang forever is one of the worst mixed cd's i ever heard..and most of the beats are terrible too...but some of the lyrical verses are great.....ghostface really shines on this album

futureproof

Post by futureproof » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:37 pm

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:check out the First Gravediggaz, never anything even close to it before.
+1
"THE biggest differences between Live 3 & 4 are the things that Live 4 have that are missing in Live 3"

-some dude on KVR.

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:48 pm

I've heard 2 different "my nite with Al Jourgensen" stories that both just bugged me out, I've repressed most of the memories.

Has anybody ever read the Wu-Tang Manual? It's pretty amazing as hip hop books go (Chuck D's & KRS-One's were OK, but this is 1,000 times better). So many different bits of their history & lyrics & approach explained, plus little photos of all the gear RZA used to make 36 Chambers & ODB & Meth's solo albums--basically just an old Ensoniq keyboard that I think he "borrowed."

Every time I read some of it I get this crazy urge to go make some more music. If they could make what they made out of where they were living, anything is possible.

Willem

Post by Willem » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:10 pm

that's my first hiphop album, man. I bought it when i was 10-11 years old.
I still think that it's probably the hiphop album ever made.

you gotta love it

C.R.E.A.M.
Paranoid Productions
Spliff Studio

marky

Post by marky » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:14 pm

Genius - Liquid Swords. Best hip hop album ever.
Awright Bawjaws, that smells lovely son, gies a wee taste!
--------------------------------
www.myspace.com/interposition

Hatchets McGee

Post by Hatchets McGee » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:46 pm

word

old dirty bastard was the epitome of the american dream, imo. May he rest in piece.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:50 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Say what you will about Tupac, but Hit Em Up is a great song! even if it was his death sentence.
am I the only person who doesn't like Tupac - He was cool but the icon / legend they've made him out to be?
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:53 pm

djadonis206 wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Say what you will about Tupac, but Hit Em Up is a great song! even if it was his death sentence.
am I the only person who doesn't like Tupac - He was cool but the icon / legend they've made him out to be?
I never liked him at all... but wait, wasn't he down with Digital Underground at one point? I liked those cats.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Hatchets McGee

Post by Hatchets McGee » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:00 pm

he was a talented lyrcist, no doubt.

I've got him in the same category as Sizzla, the reggae artist.
an excellent wordsmith, capable of winning nobel peace prizes - IF - his subject matter didnt pander to whatever sells, concious lyrics one minute, rude bwoy the next.

I'm referring strictly to both artists ability to do wonders with words.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:01 pm

Digital Underground was the bomb yes
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:03 pm

kb420 wrote: Boogie Down Productions
Public Enemy
Brand Nubians
EPMD
Slick Rick