Making wav's in Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Making wav's in Ableton

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:25 pm

I have been having a lot fun recently messing around in Ableton – I have made a few sessions in the jam time warp mode that have potential – however I feel that I’d prefer to take these ideas and sequence the track out in Pro Tools. Is there any way to convert the time warped samples into individual wav’s/aif’s that incorporate the effects that have been applied to them ? If this is possible I could import them into a PT session to lay out the track.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:57 pm

you are joking me no?

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:08 pm

No not at all, can I take it that this is an easy thing to do ?
If I pull a 80 bpm wav into a session that is 130 bpm – so it gets warped to 130 bpm then I can add a load of effects – this is all good but the changes are not done destructively to the wav. But is it possible to do this ?

David

Post by David » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:26 pm

Hi,

If I understand you correctly I think you want to do this = press the record button and play the scenes the way you want. Next go to arranger mode and the audio will be arranged exactly the way you played it. You can then either 'render' an entire track at a time, or you can render isolated short loops within a specified loop range (specified by the positions of the loop markers). Make sure you select the loop first and that it is highlighted.

When you render your audio any effects you have turned on for that track will automatically be applied. If you want to render a track/channel at a time be careful to solo the individual track so that you render just that track alone. Also, you will be able to save your rendered audio with various settings i.e. bit depth, sampling rate, normalize, convert to mono etc...

Hope that Helps,

David

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:34 pm

when you say 'highlight the part of the track that you want to render' with that method is it still necessary to solo the track or is the portion that is highlighted automaticly soloed so that you don't need to, because that would be a much faster way to work.

Verne Andru

Post by Verne Andru » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:23 pm

I don't know about PT, but this is how I do it with Cubase SX.

1] First, I get the tracks working and recorded into Lives Arranger view as a composit of the tune.

2] Then I launch Live as a ReWire slave to SX. The real benefit to this is that I can set the tempo in SX as the master so when I play at 120 bpm for example, Live follows in lock-step with SX.

I've found 120 bpm isn't always exactly the same between programs - even though it should be - and this is the best way I've found to ensure a consistent timing. If I record @ 120 bpm [or whatever] directly out of Live and import the wave into SX [and I assume this is true with other software as well] I have to fiddle with the tempo to something like 119.657545 to get it to sync up. This is important for me because I use the MIDI drum editing functions in SX to re-do the beats and work out the fills. If the tempo isn't spot-on, this part becomes a real nightmare.

3] With Live as a ReWired slave, I then solo each track [in Live] and use SX's "export to file" function to record an iso of the individual tracks.

4] From there, I use SX to track extra bits, sequence the drums, add polish, EQ, compress, etc. to a final broadcast wave file.

PS - Even though Live complains that it can't use VST's while running in ReWire mode, it seems to go ahead anyway. I'm using Live 2.1.2 - not sure how it works on Live 3.

Hope this helps - Verne
www.VerneAndru.com

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:00 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I'm trying to make individual wav's from single clips in the session view - is this possible without using rewire ?

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:45 am

re: the above suggestion (rendering)

yes, you should solo the track, it will not render only the track you have highlighted to select the time frame

i would encourage you to give live a shot for sequencing/arranging, it's pretty nice!

nosuch

Post by nosuch » Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:08 am

yeah solo the track, select time and render.
if you use effects in the send tracks solo them too.

but you may give live a try for the arrangement - you'll see it's pretty smooth to do this.did you know, you can drag audio from the browser directly into the arrange view - just like pt.
if you have audio that should not be warped - turn warp off for that clips.

you can use whatever plugins within live (if that's waht you are after - as long as they are vst.[/b]
...just trying to figure out how to make my computer sing....

nosuch

Post by nosuch » Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:10 am

Anonymous wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I'm trying to make individual wav's from single clips in the session view - is this possible without using rewire ?
sory I misread that - you can. start the clip, hit apple r and you can determine the length and other parameters. it's that easy.
...just trying to figure out how to make my computer sing....

scotty

Post by scotty » Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:30 pm

A few people have suggested recording to the arranger and then rendering the channel with solo on. This works in most cases, but be careful... If part of the effects that you have applied was done with fx sends then that method won't quite work in the way you expect. Soloing a track mutes all other tracks as well as the fx send busses, so fx applied from the fx sends would not be included in the render. An alternate would be to mute everything you don't want to render (ie.leave only the track you care about and the relevant fx buss/tracks).

-scotty

p.s. at least that's how it worked when I just tested it in 2.1.2... maybe it's different in 3?