Is this bad

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:04 pm

im gonna sound like a communist or a hippy but it just believe that the internet is the one tool we have for making all mankind equal in some way.

it should be available to everyone for free in some way.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:12 pm

word :D

swpspce

Post by swpspce » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:24 am

burgessa23 wrote:I keep mine open on purpose.
I run firewalls on all my boxes (all macs)
I figure it's the right thing to do.
that's right - shared wireless network - it is the right thing.... good on ja :)
Apple PowerBook 12" 1Ghz 512mb Ram...ReMOTE 25, Live 4 beta 4, Kontakt, Reaktor

hourevolution

some mit cats have been wireless_ng teatown:

Post by hourevolution » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:04 am

information wants to be free.
wireless broadband should/will be free worldwide.

there are about 30 wireless connections from my lab. only half wep/wap

http://www.auscillate.com/wireless/boston/
http://www.newburyopen.net/

Free wireless networking comes to Boston's Newbury St.

By Peter Cohen pcohen@maccentral.com

Wi-Fi (or 802.11b) networking in public places isn't at all uncommon these days. Coffee shops, hotel lobbies, Internet cafes and other gathering spots are popping up all over the place with subscription-based wireless networking services. Boston-area technology management company Tech Superpowers Inc. is taking the move a step forward, however, by offering free Internet access to all comers, at one location in one of Boston's most popular shopping areas.

Tech Superpowers has hooked up Trident Booksellers Cafe, located at 332 Newbury Street in Boston, with the street's first free public wireless Internet access. The company offers Web and e-mail access on what it calls the Newbury Open Network, and plans to open the network to more services in the future. Speeds range from 128K to 1.5Mbps depending on where you are in the bookstore or cafe.

Best yet, Tech Superpowers Inc. is putting out the call for other merchants to join the Newbury Open Network -- the company charges a start up fee and no monthly recurring cost.

Calling it the first step to creating a digital street in the heart of Boston, Tech Superpowers Inc. president Michael Oh said, "Free wireless Internet access is what people predict for the future, but it's here today on Newbury Street."

Tech Superpowers Inc. was founded in 1992 by two MIT undergraduates. The company provides "quality technology tools" for small to midsize companies and Mac users throughout the Boston area.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:17 am

sweetjesus wrote:im gonna sound like a communist or a hippy but it just believe that the internet is the one tool we have for making all mankind equal in some way.

I agree, but I'd think that you would prefer Microsoft to own it, Shawn? :)
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:17 am

noisetonepause wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:im gonna sound like a communist or a hippy but it just believe that the internet is the one tool we have for making all mankind equal in some way.

wtf?

thats got nothing to do with anything and i wont be suckered into a useless mac vs pc debate, ive already involved myself in 3 or 4 for the month and reached my quota.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:19 am

sweetjesus wrote:
noisetonepause wrote:

wtf?

thats got nothing to do with anything and i wont be suckered into a useless mac vs pc debate, ive already involved myself in 3 or 4 for the month and reached my quota.
Just having a go, not asking for a debate on anything... disregard.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:24 am

tjwett wrote:i know in NYC, legal or not, everyone does this on the regular. there must be a few hundred people who actually pay for service with the other 8 million people in the city piggybacking on their connection. mooch on!
no doubt. And cats even do stuff like bridge the connection from the corner coffee shop down the whole block. i didn't pay for internet once in my old brooklyn apt...

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o