some features that should take 10 sec to code:

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Silicon/Silicium

some features that should take 10 sec to code:

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:20 am

well, ok, it's not really feature wishlist, most of them already has been discussed in the dedicated section, just some small thoughts about what could and should be easy to code (10 sec was joke), and go join other features in live 6:

*controller to select track to assign a rotary to trck selection, same way than scene selection. also track left and track right (as implemented in mackie mode)
*chocke group on each impulse cell, eg to programm gongs or percs
*controller or note to select clips (without launching), and controller note for launching selected (same behaviour as ctrl+clic on clps, then press enter)
*large impulse with 16 cells (macthing most the the mpc style controller), or dynamic impulse with dynamic number of cell. don't tell me racks will do the job: note in piano roll won't be named as they are now with impulse.
*extra folders or dynamic number of folders
*relative controller assignment: we already have some relative controller, eg, select a scene, press play on the channe to launch the selected clip. gimme the same with selecting a track, then pressing play on the line will launch only selected clip. also we could have volume, pan, solo/mute/rec, sends, 8 knobs of racks, relatively assigned to your controller (you just have to select the track) without any automap or wathever

just some ideas that come on sunday morning....
the goal is not to give another extra list, just to know those little but so handy features aren't in 6, weren't in 5, etc...
of course won't go into recording automation in session clips, or ghost clips, because it surely needs a lot of code (and should have need a lot of code :( )

Vance

Post by Vance » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:24 am

Yes, an improved Impulse was one thing I had hoped for in this version, obviously no love, but there's more than enough in there already to get me excited...

Other things on my Impulse wish list:

1) proper envelopes for each cell
2) Sample view panel to visualise envelope changes
3) more pads
4) Choke groups

With a few small tweaks like that, beatboxes like Battery & Guru would be obscelete for me...

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:34 am

but I'm told that you can later multiple impulses and route different note routings to each using the live racks. so you'll see 2 impulses in one track and be able to in effect have a 16 note impulse.

why does everyone think coding this stuff is easy?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:34 am

Most of the stuff you guys are asking for is in Live 6 :wink:

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:36 am

Are you a programmer?

There is no such thing as adding a feature in 10 seconds. For serious.

Rest assured that the people writing Live are neither stupid nor malicious... if something's left out, it's left out for a reason.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

Silicon/Silicium

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:14 am

well, 10 sec was a joke, but it wont take one year to add a folder in the right pane or make a function that already exists midi assignable. I use and betatest a lot energyXT, well, Jorgen needs 3 days to make all those updates, also look at the speed reaper or phrazor devellop themselves. I m not a programmer, but I can clearly see it's easier to give choke group to impulse, or to have an "impulse 16" than to implement crossfading between clips (wich need heavy rewriting as it's against one of the concept of live: one track, one source.
if something's left out, it's left out for a reason.
that the subject of my thread: gimme a reason why choke per cell aren't implemnted yet eg!! gimme a reason why track left track right are only accessible through mackie mode!
Last edited by Silicon/Silicium on Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Silicon/Silicium

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:16 am

but I'm told that you can later multiple impulses and route different note routings to each using the live racks. so you'll see 2 impulses in one track and be able to in effect have a 16 note impulse.
well I just asked and it seems you lose the piano roll lane naming...

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:22 am

if something's left out, it's left out for a reason.
that the subject of my thread: gimme a reason why choke per cell aren't implemnted yet eg!! gimme a reason why track left track right are only accessible through mackie mode![/quote]

Hmm, maybe they do not want to add a button in Impulse here and there from time to time but instead think of ways to solve all wishes for it at once? Which is more efficient to code ( takes only 8 secs instead of 10 ) and which might add possibilites way beyond just turing one voice of because another one is triggered ?

And because the same goes for advances control of maybe *all* Live user interface features instead of hacking code over code over code to come up with a softare which we would need to rewrite from scratch after eight releases because it is imposible to debug and maintain?

Implementing features is super fast. Making a software which remains simple and powerfull is not. Bring us more excellent C++ developpers and we will be more then happy to give them a cool job.....

Cheers, Robert

Silicon/Silicium

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:29 am

but... one complete year to find an elegant solution to eg impulse problem???
one complete year without finding a simple and elegant way to add some folders while some are alreadypresent??
I definitly agree with you on the fact it's better to maintain a clean pure code instead of multiplying buggy or risky hack but.... don't tell me impulse is that deeply rooted into live???
abletons teams find excellent solutions in term of algorithms, maybe are near from having the best feeze solution, but can't by design having one more buttons in each impulse cell?
don't get me wrong Robert, I don't blame the perfect work of ableton team on the features they coded, but I ll stay sceptical until I ll see "elegant" solutions.
remember the daily frustration of having to wait ONE YEAR to see if maybe perhaps someone coded he litle detail you need...
and I don't speak about recording automation in session clip, wich I imagine is an hard work to implement, but, hell, it's about live playing isn't it?
in fact, I think my frustration comes from the abstract direction live is taking, I currently can't see where you and abes are going to, I see nice features, bu still after two years of using live, some hints that stay here. well I think that's the point of most "angry" (I not angry, just disappointed) people here.
Last edited by Silicon/Silicium on Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:31 am

Silicon/Silicium wrote:but... one complete year to find an elegant solution to eg impulse problem???
one complete year without finding a simple and elegant way to add some folders while some are alreadypresent??
I definitly agree with you on the fact it's better to maintain a clean pure code instead of multiplying buggy or risky hack but.... don't tell me impulse is that deeply rooted into live???
Man, you can do this in live 6 by stacking multiple impulses. It's as simple as that.

And as for the browserfolder... You can have bookmarks for each folder now.

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:39 am

Well, every detail itself is simple. But if you just look at the wishes popping up here the last days you will see that there are hundreds (really !) of these details.
All i can say is, we are collecting your wishes and for each release we try to find a good balance of things to put in. If we could do more within one year we would do more. We do not strategically hold back things. Example: I am using the MIDI editor, and it goes on my nerves often enough. I would love to see it improved. And every one else at the company immideately will agree. But there are tons of other important tasks, too. We do our best, this is all we can offer to you now.
I would suggest we wait till you guys played with Live 6 and then we will see where to go from there.

Cheers, Robert

Silicon/Silicium

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:40 am

Man, you can do this in live 6 by stacking multiple impulses. It's as simple as that.
well I known that but forge just told me you lose the naming of each note in piano roll. so here is my question: if you stack two impulses, can you have a piano roll with 16 (24,32!) named lane in a single midi track?? if so, forget my request about large impulse.

supster

Post by supster » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:41 am

Robert Henke wrote: ..... instead think of ways to solve all wishes for it at once? Which is more efficient to code ( takes only 8 secs instead of 10 ) and which might add possibilites way beyond just turing one voice of because another one is triggered ?

totally understandable. this is why we love you guys, you do come up with amazing and comprehensive solutions given time

(in american terms: NOT "blowing sunshine up your ass!!" either :lol: sincerly)
the same goes for advances control of maybe *all* Live user interface features instead of hacking code over code over code to come up with a softare which we would need to rewrite from scratch after eight releases

also, totally understandable.

I think what some of the most vocal people on here are doing (including myself) are pointing out areas that they specialize in -- producers, or loopers, or DJs, or PA guys ...

... and seeing holes in functionality... SIMPLE ones... that if you could implement, would additively open up creativity for thousands of people that use it in that way.

and by contrast -- left out are very quickly noticed as blocks to that creativity. that could be relatively easily corrected.

its always your (abletons) decision which ones fit the criterion and are the best ones..... but Choke Groups in Impulse? obvious

Select Clip Brace Without Mouse? also obvious. you see what we are saying? its these kinds of things

.Bring us more excellent C++ developpers and we will be more then happy to give them a cool job.....

ya?? Ok :)

--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:43 am

oh my god!!! theres always something wrong with everything isn't there?

you mean you can't have named keys in piano view? wow thats horrible I feel sorry for you. how will you ever write music now?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

supster

Post by supster » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:44 am

Johnisfaster wrote:oh my god!!! theres always something wrong with everything isn't there?

you mean you can't have named keys in piano view? wow thats horrible I feel sorry for you. how will you ever write music now?

dont you ever sleep or go out.

dude, seriously. you need to get out
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com