Notepads

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
ILTK

Notepads

Post by ILTK » Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:51 pm

Would be great if there was a notepad plugin you could assign to clips so you could scribble notes down, these notes could be displayed via the help system so when a clip plays or is selected the notes shows up.

sqook

Post by sqook » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:33 pm

I recently wrote a plugin to do this exact thing:

http://www.teragon.org/products/Notepad/index.html

It does not use live's help browser, but that would be an interesting idea for future versions of this plugin.

Cone

Post by Cone » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:24 pm

Damn, you beat me to it :). Still, it would be cool if there was a Live "device" that showed the text note in the device area. Or maybe track notes that could have their own area on the screen, like the Live help. Each track's notes would be displayed when the track is selected, but could be folded away when necessary.

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:43 pm

Sweet, thanks, much appreciated :)

But yeah, the Live help system is very much underused, mostly for basic help when you don't know Live yet, it's allready built in so it's a waste it can't be used more easily, making your own help files using text files etc.. is to clumsy to be used for quick notes.

Could also be used for lyrics that triggers for each clip etc.., lots of potential there.

conny

Post by conny » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:48 pm

Some here have agreed that the info view (left bottom rectangle field) in Live should be able to be used as a note pad, connected to clips and songs and whatever.

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

Zerobae

Post by Zerobae » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:06 am

Just to bring this up again... Doesn't look like it will be in Live 6, but it can't be too hard to do and me too thinks it would be great just the way described above.

conny

Post by conny » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:33 pm

Yes.
It's like keeping a good resource unused.

A comment property to clips/tracks/others - not to hard to make, is it?

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:06 pm

Brilliant Idea ILTK
I would love to see this too.
It would help me stay organized.
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:17 pm

Yeah it shouldn't take much to add a 'note' property to clips and if present show it when the clip is triggered, the system is there allready and all it's used for is the tutorials, a shame it's not utilized to the fullest.

Like when people upload clips and example sets, instead of going thru all the trouble it is to write for the tutorial system as it is now it could be embedded in the clips, then you could make a bunch of clips and use follow actions to show an automated tutorial that changes as the clips play.

rozling

Post by rozling » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:47 pm

conny wrote:Some here have agreed that the info view (left bottom rectangle field) in Live should be able to be used as a note pad, connected to clips and songs and whatever.

// C
I've noticed iTunes has a 'song artwork and video viewer' in the bottom left corner where Live's info view would be. I've often thought it would be great if Live users could link images like CD cover artwork to clips.

This would add an extra dimension to browsing, particularly for DJs - especially if the pane was resizeable/repositionable, although I'm sure the Abes are wary of going too far down the floating window road...

Come to think of it, with all the upcoming sample content/project possibilities it would be a cool feature for content providers to attach pictures to individual sounds - again to give users the option of browsing visually. Kinda like the icons in Kontakt I suppose (and more recently the skinnable script interfaces).

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:08 am

a shame about the notepad.

a very useful feature.

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:31 am

I like rozling's idea as well..pictures aren't needed but it would be nice to be able to link artwork and personalise things. Especially as lots of people are now linking their music through the forum, creating live packs and using live to make their own type of sounds.
It would be so useful to have this notepad feature added ..
Just a small Live style window which I could call up from the File menu as I would the preferences window. Then type in and Paste pictures or whatever, which is saved as part of the set. ILTK ideas on the clips properties are all good and takes the idea even further..
Its not as flash as say video and isn't something that ableton would advertise on the box as the dogs bollocks,
But its the little things like this that improve live too and for me this addition would be fantastic.
:)
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

Toonman

Post by Toonman » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:59 pm

Nice plugin! I had wished for this in the past, thinking of a notepad I could attach to each track.

In my case, I would use it to attach extra-info to each track, like sound presets I used to record guitar parts, mic settings, etc (in case I need to re-record takes). I can also use it to add mixing info to each track (I used to do this a long time ago using pieces of masking tape under each fader of the mixing desk).

I would love to see this notepad as an "attach to anywhere" feature, but having it as a "notepad device", would work for me too...
---
Me not DJ.
Me guitar-monkey.
---

glu

Post by glu » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:20 am

got the 404 message? can this be reposted. I would like to give it a go>

thanks
g
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

hoffman2k