Difference between Sampler and Simpler - other than the $200

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:47 pm

deva wrote:2.0 was not that bad, but it did crash fairly regularly... the latest 2.1 has been quite solid. It has been a while since I remember a crash and I'm on a mac... I would call Kontakt solid at this point.
ah. i wouldn't know. no intel mac versions yet.

Zerobae

Post by Zerobae » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:59 pm

sweetjesus wrote: 3. I've seen granular timestretching in the samplr
8O

I was just about to ask: So I can, you know, sample my pretty voice and make a choir of it? (which is of course the first use of this feature that springs to mind)

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:01 pm

Zerobae wrote:
sweetjesus wrote: 3. I've seen granular timestretching in the samplr
8O

I was just about to ask: So I can, you know, sample my pretty voice and make a choir of it? (which is of course the first use of this feature that springs to mind)
Yes you can. Even with automated wavetabling.

Zerobae

Post by Zerobae » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:04 pm

ooooooooooh yes.

marky

Post by marky » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:39 pm

AdamJay wrote: and at the end of the day.
if you want your mac to be crashed 10 times in 1 hour by a plug-in sampler... Kontakt still rules.
Ah, never a truer word spoken...

Hey do you reckon Sampler will load Battery kits too? I'm guessing it probably will..
Awright Bawjaws, that smells lovely son, gies a wee taste!
--------------------------------
www.myspace.com/interposition

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:42 pm

marky wrote:
AdamJay wrote: and at the end of the day.
if you want your mac to be crashed 10 times in 1 hour by a plug-in sampler... Kontakt still rules.
Ah, never a truer word spoken...

Hey do you reckon Sampler will load Battery kits too? I'm guessing it probably will..
i dont believe it does but the software is in alpha and the final set of features have not come in or been completed and im sure closer to the beta stage as more of the documentation is complete, we will be able to get a well rounded picture of full specs.

in the worst case scenario there are utilities to convert formats from 3rd party vendors.

gaspode

Post by gaspode » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:28 pm

Yeah, a nice little cottage industry could spring up to convert formats to Sampler if there is enough demand...

djshiva

Post by djshiva » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:18 pm

s.balm wrote:We will also have some combo pricing for Live 5 upgrades + Sampler.

This will be some sort of savings. We will reveal this pricing later.

s.
nice!!!! this might make my decision easier... :)
http://www.soundcloud.com/djshiva
http://www.facebook.com/djshivamusic
http://sapphicbeats.blogspot.com

Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo / OSX / 2Gb RAM / Ableton Live 8 / Akai LPD8/LPK25

Pluffo

Post by Pluffo » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:46 pm

Operator is sold seperatly, Sampler is sold seperatly....What´s next? The play-button?

500 Euros for Live is high enough as it is. Don´t push it.

Blomblom

Post by Blomblom » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:52 pm

--------------------------------------
Forum will be pay per post soon
--------------------------------------

lola

Post by lola » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:56 pm

Pluffo wrote:Operator is sold seperatly, Sampler is sold seperatly....What´s next? The play-button?

hahahaha :lol:

rapidix

Post by rapidix » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:21 pm

okay.. sampler is seen by some to make little sense but isn't anyone more confused about the "essential instrument collection"?

what happened to companies communicating? the prop-heads have been doing this for a while now...

remember ReWire, Ableton???

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:24 pm

I don't get it, I'm a pretty broke bastard but I'm not complaining about the prices.. I'm gonna have to save up for this stuff but what do you want? something free?

the download upgrade is only 119US, thats pretty damn good for the improvements you get. forget about the other stuff if you think they are too pricey.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:40 am

Here's what I can gather so far from what I've read on sampler.
The AM and Fm Mod options are a superb edition.
Morphable filters a huge bonus.
Excellent loop point modulation and granular stretching options etc ....
This to me sounds about as close to an Ensoniq EPS/ASR style multi-sampling device as you can get on the sound design front.
Especially when you add in the midi rack and layering options/midi control based features due to be put in Live 6.
This was the reason why I was asking how much a "ProducerPack" upgrade was to Live 6 with Operator and Sampler.
I could seriously see myself using LIVE 6 + Simpler + Impulse + Operator + Sampler + Reason 3 + DimensionPro and nothing else after this release.
Which would make me a very happy camper indeed.
I'd rather have a very tight unit of well integrated tools I know exceptionally well than the expanse of freeware etc I have now that I don't push to its absolute limits.
Infact I have been spending the last few weeks working solely with Reason 3 and Live 5 again and am gobbsmacked at how good Reason's Combinator is when used for generative ambient patches and the like (especially using the spider CV/gates and some creative CV patching).
You can get self composing and regenerating ambient soundscapes with zero midi input that sound absolutely fantastic.
Use clip envelopes to control the combi knobs and internal combi devices and some clever track routing and device chains in Live and it really is custom made sound design heaven in a major way.
I've also found I can do alot of Reaktor style mangle work and rythmic material using just these two tools and I really need to explore the sonic possibles of using LESS a hell of a lot more IMHO.
I've always worked best with LESS than I have with more so this is a major welcome addition for me.
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

dpel

Re: what's different?

Post by dpel » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:47 am

AdamJay wrote:let's see... Sampler can import libraries in all these formats:

AKAI S1000,
AKAI S3000,
GigaStudio,
EXS,
SoundFont
(non-encrypted) Kontakt.

i've still been waiting for NI to make Kontakt a UB, and you know what... i'm not even go back to it once they do. my Kontakt and Giga libraries are loading just fine in Sampler.
Adam,

Are you able to load up an orchestral menu with the Giga sounds and run
smoothly with quicktime playback? any performance issues?
Dave Pelman Music
http://www.davepelman.com