OT- An artitst's POV influences your opinion of their music?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:33 am

djshiva wrote:i have definitely stopped buying music by various artists whose beliefs disgust me. i have also stopped buying music by artists i have met who were total egomaniacal assholes. if their music is good, but the person who made it has an ugly core, then the heart of their music is ugly to the core, no matter how good it sounds.
Any examples?? You know music and I dig your socio-political savvy.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:02 am

I find I can like a person and not care for their music, much more easily than I can hate a person and like their music.

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:56 pm

It's a double edged sword for me. It seems that that artist's who's music I really like come across pretty well in interviews or in person. A lot of artists can be pretty particular to deal with as with any very creative person who has a unique perspective on the world. As an artist I know I don't always come across as the easiest to understand and I also know that I have opinions about things that someone out there will disagree with. It comes with the territory. Having said that I don't try to dig too deeply into people''s total perspective and feel as long as I am on the same page on the big issues then the rest can roll. If I am completely opposed to someones beliefs or actions then yes it does influence my opinion of their work. The work you do represents who you are after all.

I used to listen to Bad Brains a lot. I'd see them whenever they would come through town. I love a lot of what they had to say. On one album HR came out with some pretty strong anti gay statements. It really perplexed me that he could be so open and tolerant and then so closed and judgemental. My respect for him went down a few notches but I still think their tunes rip. I just wouldn't have him over for dinner.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:33 pm

If the music's banging, it's banging - people are entitled to have whatever opinions and beliefs they want as long as it's not hurting children or animals

Politics, views on race, religion or sexual orientation are their's and may not refelect mine but I'm not going to let that deter me from listening to good music

I've never been faced with this problem - everyone who's music I respect is pretty chill so...
Ableton | Elektron

Music

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:38 pm

However, if their music is bogged down with Political shit and comes across all preachy and up it's own ass then fuggitaboutit

I listen to music to be entertained not preached to...
Ableton | Elektron

Music

computo

Post by computo » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:51 pm

djshiva wrote:music is a language, and what is said with that language IS important.

i have definitely stopped buying music by various artists whose beliefs disgust me. i have also stopped buying music by artists i have met who were total egomaniacal assholes. if their music is good, but the person who made it has an ugly core, then the heart of their music is ugly to the core, no matter how good it sounds.

this is just my take on things...i don't ask other people to see it my way.
I totally agree. Why would you support an artist financially, if they were then going and giving that money to say, a racist extremist group?

I mean, if you guys found out that Squarepusher was a rabid anti-semite, would you support him? Or say Sasha gave a large portion of his earnings to Abortion Clinic bombers?

"Well, I like his beats, so I dont care." "Id rather not know about it"

Just another symptom of Americanized thought. People just dont want to face the facts, that a lot of the behavior they engage in contributes to a shitty society and the destruction of the welfare of the working man.

And that includes the art world.

A caveat to that: did you know Bono owns a videogame company, that produces a game, which calls for and depicts a violent mercenary revolt of venezuala? You mean Bono is benefitting financially by exploiting the fears of the public? Id rather not know about it.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:04 pm

If we looked hard enough into any public figure in the music bizness we'd find something we don't like...that's easy

I believe in respecting someones privacy - what they do with their money is their business, and I'm not going to make it mine...

call it what you want

gangsta rap hasn't taken a hit lately and a lot of those guys still kick money back down to the hood - big money fronts for selling coke etc etc

Degrading women, shooting people and selling drugs to their own people

You do know Easy E used crack money to produce some of NWA's first albums...that's ok?

It's still good music none the less

not saying you and anyone else like's Gangsta rap but it would be a contradiction to say an Artist POV Influences My Musical Taste and then go out and kick it at a hip hop spot, buy hip hop or even make hip hop
Last edited by djadonis206 on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:18 pm

And you do know Melle Mel was doing "White lines" of his own when he wrote the "Message" <--- probably one of the top ten hip hop songs of all time

During Public Enemy's Hey day Flavor Flave was doing as much base as he was making money - but you probably don't think bad about them

Old Dirty Bastard - a legend, even if he died from his addiction to cocaine

When someone buys Coke we can break down where all that money goes

back on the street, crack cocaine escalated the violence in the inner city over turf wars

crack cocaine is making treatment centers and politicians money as they "Fight" the war on drugs

eventually that money landing in some drug lords pockets in Central or South America - I'm probably more afraid of what a drug lord is capable of doing to the "Working man" than george bush or Bono

that's if we want to go there...
Ableton | Elektron

Music