myspace - i don't get it!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ciw

Post by ciw » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:07 pm

When I read someone saying 'myspace is gay', I interpret that as 'myspace pages often exhibit unprofessional web design, the tracks take ages to buffer and I wish to associate myself with the thousands of other people critical of myspace by making use of our common slogan'. Which I guess means that the poster had some communication skills, if that's what they meant. It was off topic though, which was somewhat annoying.

Ok, I suppose we could probably do with a little less language like that on a public forum. It's meant to be informal but it's hard to know when complete strangers might take offence.

elektrovert

Post by elektrovert » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:22 pm

I just got back in touch with a friend of mine I havent heard from in over ten years through myspace!! 8)

it seems like everyone is on there now.
I haven't really gone looking for fans there yet, but I generally look for other musicians I like, or that are in my area.
ALso ngiht clubs and promoters and the like, labels.
basically anyone who may be of interest/use to you and vica versa.
Last edited by elektrovert on Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elektrovert

Post by elektrovert » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:22 pm

:oops: double post!

how_gauche

Post by how_gauche » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:47 pm

Myspace is great. We started ours about 6 months ago, and without even touching it we have 1000 contacts from people all over the world. In my opinion this is the kind of application that really demonstrates the promise and potential of a global communications network.

Through people we contacted on Myspace we hooked up three shows for our upcoming tour.

It's just too bad it's run by news corp.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:29 pm

Myspace is cool - the novelity of stalking people wears off after a while but if you work it it works

post bulletins, keep your page updated and don't sleep on opportunities that do come to you...
Ableton | Elektron

Music

err_fatale

Post by err_fatale » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:20 pm

haha i got into a whole big thing for calling something "gay" a few months back....seems that some old-timers and europeans don't understand the new meaning of this word in popular youth culture of america today. Homosexuals are now referred to as homosexuals, and anything that is of an extremely wack nature is called gay.....

i agree that myspace is wack in most ways.

i use it basically in place of email with people whom i communicate frequently.....

i put a tune or two up for a minute and then get sick of seeing it on myspace with the song counter then take them down,

Myspace works best when "whoring one's self out"
Many people in the music industry like it, as they are used to doing this, it is second nature.

otherwise it is pretty useless, other than chit chat.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:22 pm

err_fatale wrote:haha i got into a whole big thing for calling something "gay" a few months back....seems that some old-timers and europeans don't understand the new meaning of this word in popular youth culture of america today. Homosexuals are now referred to as homosexuals, and anything that is of an extremely wack nature is called gay.....
You should try calling someone a towel!?!?!

You're a towel!

no, you're a towel!

You're a towel!

no, you're a towel!
Ableton | Elektron

Music

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:22 pm

For starters, there's a thread with many of our myspace addresses. Look for it and add furiously.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

markaugust

Post by markaugust » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:01 pm

myspace is just excellent for people like me; that like to stay in their cave, but still have to do some sort of networking to get their work out there.
myspace just got me in contact with "Ame" who I think rock big time, and he likes one of my tracks so much that I sent it to him and he will now play it next time in his set...
Believe me; before myspace this kind of thing was a whole lot more difficult to achieve.
And; if you ever wanna make it in the musicbizz... you cannot escape the networking, really... trust me; I've tried.. :D :wink:

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:03 pm

I was in the top 5 artists for House, Techno, and Electro a few months ago. Since then, I've slipped to the top 50. Hoping to get back up to the top, but I have NO IDEA how it happened. It was literally overnight.

Anyway, it provided me with nothing... No bookings, no record deal, just a bunch of new friends and some other people who are ethusiastic about the music. Great folks, and I still keep in touch with them, hoping to work with them in the future! Unfortunately, it's not magic, I'm still missing something in the promotional aspect...