Any Film makers here? how you gonna use live 6?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
smutek

Post by smutek » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:43 pm

Everyone that's talking about how the video plug is going to revolutionize their performance and stuff, I think you are getting the complete wrong idea. Maybe peole aren't saying it as much in this thread, but I have seen that around in some other threads.

I'm not trying to piss on anyone's parade, but I'm just saying, get your facts straight so you are not setting yourself up for a let down.

It doesn't allow for any manipulation or editing of video - it's a real simple, albeit very handy, but really really simple tool. It's purpose is exactly what snowman described. Edit your video in your video app. first, then you can view it in live for scoring.

A lot of people working with video wanted it because they wanted to create their music in live, but had no way to sync music to their film. Thats what this simple plug allows for. You can view your video in live and do all of your sound-tracking in one app, as opposed to writing in live, exporting, importing to final cut, oh shit that's not working, go back to live, edit, export, oh shit, go back to live, make changes, ad infinitum....

It's not performance oriented. For that type of stuff you are going to need to rewire arkaos or something. Sure, you can drag the video window into another monitor or whatever, but it still only allows for the playback of video.

I hope I am not coming off like a dick, if so I am not trying to be that way. Just it seems a few people are getting the wrong idea.
Last edited by smutek on Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:44 pm

it is basically going to make me do all my scoring to picture in Live.. what i've wanted to do for ages.. no more rewire to Logic, no more IAC to logic, no more ReVision nonsense... can't wait..

next i'm interested in whether it'll send Quartz composer files (as quicktimes) midi info .. that would be very cool for AV malarky..
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

Jan Holm

Post by Jan Holm » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:44 pm

I've been quite active in the feature req forum on this matter. It seem
to be just like I wanted. I'll be using it making sound for tv commercials
and other video projects. I dont do video at all, get the pictures and raw
sound from the tv guys and the do my stuff.

subbasshead

Post by subbasshead » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:52 pm

I've been quite active in the feature req forum on this matter.
aye, same here!

& am so happy its made it into v6

i'll be using it for sound design for feature films
but am also very interested in music/scoring for film

forge

Post by forge » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:14 am

smutek wrote: It's not performance oriented. For that type of stuff you are going to need to rewire arkaos or something. Sure, you can drag the video window into another monitor or whatever, but it still only allows for the playback of video.

I hope I am not coming off like a dick, if so I am not trying to be that way. Just it seems a few people are getting the wrong idea.
no but it's a short step from being able to trigger them as session clips - so while it isnt the current intention, I think in the future it could well be a handy way of playing your own clips while you play and mix them up with follow actions and mess with the audio

like I said somewhere else imagine taking clips from fear and loathing or apocalypse now and trigrering them like samples and filtring/effecting - but the punters see the video

it wouldnt be long before maybe things like sample offset could scramble it up etc

this might all still be a couple of years away if it ever comes at all, but I think it's an exciting possibility and computers are getting powerful enough to do it

warabunga

Post by warabunga » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:45 am

subbasshead wrote:
Make video hard synch to audio!
You move a warp maker => video gets slower or faster to match audio position..
Have you used Twixtor? its a time adjustment plugin for Final Cut, Ae etc
It does what you want in terms of manipulation of time in video
and does it very very well, but does it do it in real time? Hell no
hell yess! :D
--
macbook pro | Leopard | 2.33 Ghz | 3 Gig Ram | Lemur | Monome 256 | BCF/BCR2000 | Faderfox LX2
I'm Spoiled!

raapie

interesting

Post by raapie » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:40 am

Rather interesting. If the video would sync perfectly to Live's SMPTE timeline that would be killer!
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com