Sample Editor???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bwaxwing

Sample Editor???

Post by bwaxwing » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:34 am

I'm wondering what you all have found to be your favorite sample editor? I have been using Recycle for a bit, but I'm not sure that I'm really happy w/ it. Can anyone recommend any other programs? I've tried searching the forums but those two words seem to come up in sooo many posts that it was rather difficult to find one that was relevant to what I was looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Axel

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:28 am

honestly, i used to be a wavelab user for editing, but the last time i reinstalled windows ( like 4 months ago ) i didnt bother putting it on, i just use clip envelopes. I havent felt the need to install wavelab.

bwaxwing

Post by bwaxwing » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:55 am

I guess I should have mentioned I'm on a mac...

zfigz

Post by zfigz » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:52 am

Wave Editor by www.Audiofile-Engineering.com

There's also Bias Peak and DSP Quattro...

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:41 am

DSP quattro :D

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:10 am

Audacity.
Its free, crossplatform (Mac PC Linux too) and is nice & simple .. pretty cool.
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:34 am

I'm happy with amadeus II. 20$, vst/au support, included effects.

audacity always crashed live for me. amadeu doesn't, and it's better.
Professional Shark Jumper.

wavejumper

Post by wavejumper » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:26 am

still using an old version of peak 4 LE, but i just use it to edit finished tracks, samples I edit directly in Live in the clip box.

5dots

Post by 5dots » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:05 pm

Amadeus II is pretty great. Cheap, well supported (I've had some weird bugs, which the developer has always been willing to help me with), etc. I used Audacity for a while (some time ago, admittedly), but found that it did everything REALLY slowly.

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:34 pm

what exactly do you all use them for? Ive never really bothered to use a sample editor within live, most things seem to be possible with just live itself.
However ive heard from many people that it can really open things up if you use one...im just not quite sure what i would use it for.

Audacity seems to be the only one that give me any sound when opened from Live, wavelab doesnt :cry:

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:45 pm

Peak5 pro XT, here.

5dots

Post by 5dots » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:46 pm

Meef Chaloin wrote:what exactly do you all use them for? Ive never really bothered to use a sample editor within live, most things seem to be possible with just live itself.
However ive heard from many people that it can really open things up if you use one...im just not quite sure what i would use it for.
Not much, is my answer... When it comes to editing audio, I'm way more likely to do it non-destructively in live. These days, I use Amadeus for two things: adding silence to the beginning of tracks I'm going to DJ, and using non-UB plugins on certain samples - the latter being very infrequent, since it's such a pain in the ass; I pretty much only do it if I need to vocode something, or any very specific effect that I can't do in Live.

sqook

Post by sqook » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:50 pm

5dots wrote:Amadeus II is pretty great. Cheap, well supported (I've had some weird bugs, which the developer has always been willing to help me with), etc. I used Audacity for a while (some time ago, admittedly), but found that it did everything REALLY slowly.
I had some beef with these two apps, too. Amadeus is good, but the vst and au support is horribly broken. I also felt that the user interface was oddly designed and didn't react how I thought it would.

As for audacity, oh, where to begin... :) Audacity is the sample editor that I want to love, but I end up hating. It's open source, cross-platform, and supports VST. However, the horrible user interface, weird bugs, poor performance, and some issues with the built-in filters keep me away from it. I read somewhere recently that the audacity developers were focusing all their attention on the audacity 1.3 beta, and my interest in the project was kind of renewed. However, I end up being rather disappointed in the end result, which is basically audacity 1.2 except now you can collapse the tracks and label them. Oh, and there's also a semi-working AU implementation. I really have a lot of faith in this project, but I'm also disappointed that the end result of their efforts isn't really usable.

So yeah, for the time being I'm using sound studio 2.x on mac and adobe audition on windows. I think that especially with wave editors, user interface is everything... it's a program that you want to be able to fly through, quickly find the point you want to edit, make your changes, and have the program respond to you in a reasonable way. Generally, I find that I don't use these types of programs as much as I do ones like live... they are utility programs, and they should be designed as such.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:58 pm

I picked Dsp-quattro up on their christmass sale. For +- 50€, that was a steal.

Live 6 will be capable of a lot of sampling needs.
But i love quattro for the batch processor :wink:

Also, Live can read loop points, but cant create them...

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:06 pm

i've been on Soundtrack Pro for a while now and i'll probably stick with it. graphically it is awesome for zooming on waves and it comes with all of Logic's effects. it's also scriptable which i use a lot. only problem is that now you can only get it with Final Cut Studio so probably not an option for most audio-only folks. if i was going to buy today i'd get WaveEditor from Audiofile-Engineering. all their stuff is awesome.