The *cost* of the EIC...?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
headquest

Re: The *cost* of the EIC...?

Post by headquest » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:31 pm

diverdee wrote: The ostensibly 'free' EIC is made by Sonivox (sonic implants) according to info. on this site, they aren't different things - it's just product (EIC) & product manufacture (sonivox).
If the box now costs $70 more & one pays 'extra for the box, because it contains the EIC collection' - how can the EIC then be claimed to be free?
It is obviously another $70 charge on top of the cost of sampler ($200) if one wants some content fro the sampler.
Furthermore, judging from the very limited articulations for the strings it appears to be just a 'taster' set of sonivox's samples.
Oh dear - the plot thickens. So can somebody clear this up with definitive answers to:

1) Is the EIC the same as the Sonivox multisampled instruments?

2) Are they genuinely *free* as advertised by Ableton, or are they the sole addition to the box that has resulted in a $70 increase / charge?

3) Is the EIC worth having or just a frustratingly incomplete "taster" designed to entice yet further purchases?
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

glu

Post by glu » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:58 pm

Seriously hope I don't have to buy a L6 manuel for $100... I will just have to print one out if that happens... pthhpp!
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

djsentinel

Post by djsentinel » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:36 am

Bad move abe, bad move :-/

computo

Post by computo » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:22 am

seriously, that sampler costs $200? Thats outrageous!

i cant really jive with this add on concept. I find it a bit off putting.

I could MAYBE understand $100, but $200 is pretty unreasonable by my standards, when there are perfectly quality samplers already in most peoples software collections.

headquest

Post by headquest » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:00 am

I understand the concerns being expressed about general pricing (and there are other threads covering that of course).

But for this thread I'm just hoping for a clear answers to questions about Sonivox/EIC that are genuinely confusing me still please... :?

Listen on Soundcloud

cmusicmaker

Post by cmusicmaker » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:06 pm

I am surprised no one from Ableton has answered this. I too would like to know the answer.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 pm

yeh, well, hey, they are updating their pricing structure to cover the rising cost of living (see other thread this forum) ;)
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:35 pm

computo wrote:seriously, that sampler costs $200? Thats outrageous!

i cant really jive with this add on concept. I find it a bit off putting.

I could MAYBE understand $100, but $200 is pretty unreasonable by my standards, when there are perfectly quality samplers already in most peoples software collections.
Yeah. I don't really use samplers too much so I'm not too excited about it. Besides, I already have Kontact 2 and Mach 5 and blah blah blah.

If there is a demo like there is for Operator I'll mess around with it. If I likey, maybe spend the $$$. Ozzy always says that he hasn't made his Srgt. Peppers yet, perhaps I haven't made my Groove Is In The Heart yet.

4ace

Post by 4ace » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:59 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:I am curious about weather you get the EIC for free if you buy sampler. I can't imagine a sampler where you have to pay an additional 100$ for the library, but from what I gather on the site, it seems to look this way (boxed upgrade vs. download).

I intend to order the download update, but I want to buy sampler. I have no problem with the $200 price, but I sure as hell would expect the library to be included. I'm uncertain if this is the case though. Perhaps someone from Ableton could comment?

thanks,

grb
Same situation here,.....An answer abes????
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:14 am

I don't think EIC is the library for sampler as such. I'd be surprised if there were no sounds included with the downloaded update, like there is with Impulse and Simpler.

-Paws
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

djsentinel

Post by djsentinel » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:08 am

Sampler should be free. They are starting to look like their trying to suck AMAP out of their customers.

Really abe's, think about it.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:34 am

bump
"I spent my life, laughing, wondering if crazy people even realized that they're crazy.......then one day, I realized..." - Flippa

dCross

Post by dCross » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:44 am

Hi all,

We made a mistake here, thanks for catching it. We're working on changing the SONiVOX press release on our website to take out the word 'free.'

Here's the deal:
The EIC is provided by SONiVOX. In the future, SONiVOX will also be providing a series of paid, downloadable sound libraries for Simpler and Sampler. Prices on these new libraries is still in the works.

The EIC was not specifically made for Sampler. Sampler can edit it, but the EIC is play-able out of the box via Simpler. Our goal was to put a full sound library in the Live 6 box, not a teaser to buy Sampler.

As you've seen on the pricing website, the EIC comes with all boxed copies of Live 6. We mistakenly labeled this as 'free' because, well, most (not all - as you have noted!) people are buying the Live 6 box for Live 6, not the EIC. (Thus, 'free' for new users who are paying for a Live 6 box.) The new higher price for the box is because of the EIC, which requires an additional DVD.

Again, it wasn't our intention to force new Sampler users to buy the EIC. We felt that many people already familiar with multi-sample instruments had some existing libraries they would want to import and manipulate.

Like Operator and Sampler, the EIC is OPTIONAL. This is to accommodate every possible user. Some people have no need for our add-ons, and we don't want to force them to buy something they won't use.

Let me know if you have more questions (here, or cross@ableton.com). I'd prefer replies here, to eliminate redudancy.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:03 am

So does this mean you only get a library for sampler if you buy the EIC via the box?
Or does sampler come with a library to demonstrate some of it's abilities?

If not that's basically saying sampler alone= 200 usd,
but sampler plus instrument library= 300 usd
(because E.I.C. =100 usd) is this right?

Every sampler I know of comes with an instrument library that you don't have to pay extra for. Perhaps I am still confused, but if I don't want to buy the E.I.C., does this mean I get no library at all with the sampler?

I have had no problem with pricing so far, though it has risen a fair bit, however 300 usd for a library with sampler would pretty much be a straight kick in the nuts.
Professional Shark Jumper.

headquest

Post by headquest » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:31 am

drc24 wrote: We made a mistake here, thanks for catching it. We're working on changing the SONiVOX press release on our website to take out the word 'free.'
Thanks for a detailed and clear answer to all my questions there. Now I understand.

Time to check the bank account then... :wink:

Listen on Soundcloud