Is the uc-33 suited for final mixing?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rahlo

Is the uc-33 suited for final mixing?

Post by Rahlo » Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:43 am

Whaddup party people?

Peep the scenario: I've set up the uc 33 to mix 3 banks of 8 channels--24 tracks. Fader 1 on the uc 33 controls channels 1, 9, and 17. Let's say I make a volume adjustment on channel one, then move to the next bank and make an adjustment on channel 9. Is there a way to go back to channel one and move the fader to its original position without messing up the volume adjustment? Does the uc 33 have a way of suspending channel 1's movement until you get the fader back to it's previous channel 1 position?

Am I making sense? I'll try and explain it better if not, but if anyone can shed any light on this, that would be dope!
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

Rahlo

Re: Is the uc-33 suited for final mixing?

Post by Rahlo » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:16 am

Ok, I found another person asking the same question, but in a much more understandable fashion.

1) does the uc-33 have an option to not follow the faders until the value they are at is reached? I can't imagine it being very useful to switch between tracks 1-8 and 9-16 as stated above, if the update on one half alter the setting on the other page when you go back and start tweaking.

thanks again!
peace,

rahlo

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:00 pm

I think the new version does, not sure if it's available yet. Evolution were going to have a "suspend midi" button which whan pressed, allows you to move the faders without affecting anything so you can get everything close to where it should be on screen, without any radical controller jumps. I'ts not as good a solution as endless rotaries or automated faders though.
I have the first version without this feature and I must admit I've not found it to be much of a problem. For the price, you can't really go wrong.

Cheers

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:07 pm

Martyn wrote:I think the new version does, not sure if it's available yet. Evolution were going to have a "suspend midi" button which whan pressed, allows you to move the faders without affecting anything so you can get everything close to where it should be on screen, without any radical controller jumps. I'ts not as good a solution as endless rotaries or automated faders though.
I have the first version without this feature and I must admit I've not found it to be much of a problem. For the price, you can't really go wrong.

Cheers
I agree--the price is nice. But for me, if I can't accurately mix more than 8 channels then its usefulness is greatly reduced. Have you found a way to mix more than 8 channels, or to get everything back to where it should be without the huge controller jumps?

Thanks for your reply.
peace,

rahlo

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:02 pm

No, I don't really use it for that purpose. I do use it as a rouigh mixer when starting a tune or when mixing anything up to 8 premixed channels. It would be a different storey if Ableton had programmed group channels in the mixer though, 8 groups would be plenty for me.
I guess you'd be better off with Mackie control, or something like that. You need automated faders if you want to smoothly switch between cannels 1-8 and 9-16 etc. I used one a couple of weeks ago, needless to say I wanted it immediately! My pocket won't allow it unfortunately.

Good luck M

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:14 pm

Yeah, it looks that way. The Tascam US-422 has a feature that suspends midi until you get the fader back to its original position. Fader groups would indeed be very, very useful--just as markers in the arrangement view would be!

Anyway, thanks.
peace,

rahlo